PDA

View Full Version : HOW MUCH to chop and re-crown an SKS??

thefinger
10-13-2007, 1:59 PM
I have a yugo 59/66, and I want to chop it down by about 2-3 inches to get rid of the threading + a little extra. I figure this would be a task for the gunsmith since I don't know what I'm doing and lack the tools necessary. It seems relatively easy given the right tools. How much should I expect to pay to have this done?

Ford8N
10-13-2007, 5:10 PM
My gunsmith charged me $30 for a cut and rethread job. If you are careful, all you need is a hack saw, file, right angle strait edge, glass marble and some lapping compound. And a bit of patience. After all, it's just a SKS.

thefinger
10-14-2007, 12:42 AM
After all, it's just a SKS.

true. true.

bohoki
10-14-2007, 11:35 AM
i'm pretty sure you got to leave a good 2 inches past the gas port to allow enough backpressure time for the piston to do its job

-hanko
10-14-2007, 1:05 PM
My gunsmith charged me $30 for a cut and rethread job. If you are careful, all you need is a hack saw, file, right angle strait edge, glass marble and some lapping compound. And a bit of patience. After all, it's just a SKS.
I'd buy the tools...that way I'm read to wack the next barrel;) OTOH if you think you'll never need a hacksaw or file you can sell them after you're done with the sks. Seriously, this is not a job I'd even consider taking to a gunsmith. Your first barrel chop should take no more than an hour.

Add some Oxpho touch-up blue to the list & you're ready.

-hanko

thefinger
10-18-2007, 12:20 AM
I'd buy the tools...that way I'm read to wack the next barrel;) OTOH if you think you'll never need a hacksaw or file you can sell them after you're done with the sks. Seriously, this is not a job I'd even consider taking to a gunsmith. Your first barrel chop should take no more than an hour.

Add some Oxpho touch-up blue to the list & you're ready.

-hanko

After spending some time checking other forums for how-to directions for this job, I think you're very right. The only things I need to buy are a brass re-crowning bit for my power hand drill, and then some 600 grit abrasive. I've already got a hacksaw I can borrow, and I'm sure I can find a decent file to borrow as well. Thanks for the advice.:D