PDA

View Full Version : Great idea for fellow Hammerhead users!

imarangemaster
03-07-2013, 6:52 PM
Last time I shot my featureless M4gery with the Hammerhead, I noticed I was chafing the web of my hand on the threads and bottom groove of the M4 stock tube, and the edge of the castle nut.

In my stuff I had some 2", 10 mil think PVC black tape, like used by electricians on 220/440, or used by pipe fitters on black iron gas pipes before you bury it. I took it and put one edge on the castle nut against the lower receiver, pulled it tight and wrapped it twice around the tube. It has enough "give" to where you can see it sucked down against the tube, even though one edge was on the castle nut.

As you can see in the picture below, it works REALLY well, and took away any "sharp edges" discomfort using the Hammerhead.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg134/imarangemaster/tape_zpsdd19c2ec.jpg

SoCalXD
03-07-2013, 7:46 PM
So your the guy that figured out you could use a .22 LR round as an automobile fuse! No, really, that looks... great? I especially like the manufacture logo centered at the 7 oclock positon... classy!

Actually, I had the same kind of issue, but not with the castle nut, the bottom edge of the end plate ( see how it overhangs the hammerhead?) I took a dremmel grinding bit to it and smoothed it flush to the edge of the hammer head. Of course, I left the metal bare, so maybe we are distantly related in the halfassed family tree! :D

imarangemaster
03-07-2013, 8:06 PM
Haha! Maybe we are related!!! My "pretty AR" is my retro build, a 1962 vintage 602ish clone with bullet button. The Hammerhead M4gery is a duty weapon for me, so it is function rather than form that is important. I have a stack of loaded high-caps on hand in my patrol jeep, ready to spew forth several hundred rounds of 3150 fps boat tail magic if necessary.

The tape may be a bit ugly, but it makes the weapon easier and more comfortable to hold one handed with the strong hand. I would almost go so far as to say it is almost comfortable now. I do plan on beveling the edge of the end plate the way you did, though I will probably hit it with cold-blue.

nastyhabts26
03-07-2013, 8:13 PM
A man has to do what a man has to do, necissity is the mother of Invention.

THEJAPINO
03-07-2013, 11:36 PM
Want to use something without the logos and is one piece? Bicycle inner tube. :D

Dinosaur Jr
03-08-2013, 6:32 AM
I could have donated some used chewing gum and bailing wire?

mmrx2
03-08-2013, 6:40 AM
Paracord works good too.

imarangemaster
03-08-2013, 7:44 AM
I have paracord, but I have a really thick hand, and the paracord din't leave quite enough room. The bicycle inner tube is a great idea, though.

Hmmmm.. bubble gum and bailing wire! Now why didn't I think of that. I did think of duct tape, but that was just a little too Okie for me! Maybe some green military 100 mile an hour tape would work.

SoCalXD
03-10-2013, 8:21 AM
This has become the MacGyver thread! Let's see some more pics of Calgunner MacGyver solutions!

Predator
03-10-2013, 8:41 AM
Heat shrink tubing would be even cleaner.

imarangemaster
03-10-2013, 8:47 AM
Heat shrink tubing would be even cleaner.

I actually thought of that, but could not find any large enough to go over the castle nut. Any idea where to find some that large? I tried local Ace Hardware builders store and Home Deport to no avail.

Nor Cal Guy
03-10-2013, 9:41 AM
hmm.... plasti dip it all.. cheap looks nice can remove if you want later etc. well ok thanks guys now i know what im doing once i can find a buffer tube.

Exile Machine
03-10-2013, 11:35 AM
The sharp edges comment is something we hear from time to time. It's not the Hammerhead that's sharp, but that you are contacting parts of the rifle during shooting that were never intended to be contacted.

Before filing anything down or dipping anything in rubber, be sure to have a look at our Handling (https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/pages/handling-7.html) page. There is a recommended way to hold the Hammerhead that will not place you in contact with the sharp edges. This won't work for everyone (esp. those with smallish hands) but most shooters will benefit by using a more relaxed hold rather than choking up on it.

Choke Hold (not recommended):
https://exilemachine.net/images/IMG_7150.JPG

Relaxed Hold (recommended to avoid any sharp egdes):
https://exilemachine.net/images/IMG_7136.JPG

If you can't avoid the Choke Hold, we do have some recommendations on our Handling page for how to soften the edges.