PDA

View Full Version : Golani

JWHuey
03-07-2013, 7:19 AM
OK,I have a possible opportunity to pick up a used Century Golani for a really good price. Now,before the haters flame me...
I am totally aware of the horrible rep these guns have.
This is a rifle with an "f" marked receiver, it seems to be in good shape( tight top cover,non canted sights,smooth action,rad lock & 10 round mag)
I have ALWALY wanted a Galil and I'm thinking this may be my only chance to ever acquire something even atsthetically similar to the real deal here in the PRK.
I did a search on here but didn't find much(I suck at searching)..
I did see that member "Pennysdad" had one,and read his thread. I would like to know if anyone who has had,or currently has,one of these horror show Galil wannabes is even somewhat happy with it as far as a range toy or whatever? I'm almost willing to drop the cash just to have a safe queen that resembles the rifle of my youthful dreams.....lol:p

DukeofSD
03-07-2013, 7:44 AM
I have one as a fun gun/extra gun.
Everybody that has shot it loves it.
I don't know why, but most new shooters like it better than my AR.
I like it because it is fun to shoot, it's different, and when I bring it to the range with my AR I only have to bring one kind of ammo.
I don't own any guns that I plan on "taking into battle" so I buy what I like, and I have always enjoyed my Century Golani.

Buy it and have FUN!

Duke of SD

Arisaka
03-07-2013, 8:24 AM
My GF prefers the Galil to just about anything else. I think the weight plus light round makes it a no recoil fun machine for her. Nice guns.

JWHuey
03-07-2013, 8:26 AM
You guys don't have any issues with the century guns?(ftf,fte,etc)?

DukeofSD
03-07-2013, 8:43 AM
I have had a few FTE’s in about 1000 round, but I think it has more to do with crappy plastic (tapco?) magazines.
I don't think that's a big deal for a range toy.
I have one 10 round (10-30 or 35?) metal magazine that feeds better, but they are hard to find. (I haven't look that hard)
I am planning to look for some more at the gun show, but I won’t hold my breath.

Duke of SD

Sicarius
03-07-2013, 8:54 AM
I have one and it has been pretty good thus far. I was in the same boat as you and this is the closest to a galil that I will get here. I modified some of the 12 round training magazines and used an extended brake so I can keep it a folder. For the 600 I payed a while back, I am pleased with it.
Kevin

Arisaka
03-07-2013, 11:29 AM
You guys don't have any issues with the century guns?(ftf,fte,etc)?

Mine is an IMI that I rewelded, no experience with Century stuff.

JWHuey
03-08-2013, 5:15 AM
I'm getting it. Anyone know a good gunsmith who can make it run well in the event it turns out to be one of the lemons? Lol

Arisaka
03-08-2013, 7:53 AM
I honestly can't imagine much going wrong. It's basically a milled AK. What are some problems you've heard of?

JWHuey
03-08-2013, 8:14 AM
Lots. Ftf,fte,wrong gas pressure,blah,blah,blah...
I'm really not too worried about it actually,the gun seems tight and well put together. Always have lusted after a Galil,and for what I'm paying for this I really can't complain!lol

Sicarius
03-08-2013, 11:54 AM
Mine is an IMI that I rewelded, no experience with Century stuff.

Showoff. :P

There are a couple things that can be wrong with it. Being Century, it could be put together wrong. The biggest issue typically was the receiver that was made by ORF... Century later went to Caspian for their receivers and supposedly they were a lot better. The ORF ones were said to be soft. If you hop on uzitalk, there is a bit of information about the issues and how to identify which receiver. Yours has an F mark(by the magwel) which, if I remember correctly, meant that it went back for warranty work. With that said, my ORF receiver seems to be working great but my friend's Caspian probably needs a little work...
Kevin

Arisaka
03-13-2013, 3:11 PM
The only problem I had with mine was due to the surplus magazines. Replaced the springs with Wolff Xtra power AR-15 springs and solved all that. I saw a Century FAL with a loose barrel once lol.