PDA

View Full Version : Question about picking up Longguns from FFL

Bobula
10-11-2007, 11:15 PM
I picked up my mini 30 today, bought it from Redneck (great guy btw), the gun working the counter signed everything they do for when they pick it up. I brought a long gun bag and a gun lock, but he told me I needed a reciept to show I purchased the lock within the last 30days. It's one of the free child safe gun locks you can get from LEO offices. Anyone ever heard of such a thing?

superhondaz50
10-11-2007, 11:30 PM
Ya for a long gun if it doesnt have a OEM CA DOJ approved lock and if you dont own a CA DOJ approved gun safe you have to buy a CA DOJ approved gun lock. To make it more complicated they want a receipt dated less than 30 days, this is to try to keep you from using the same lock on multiple gun purchases (also they copy the receipt to show DOJ that the gun left with a locking device). The free child safe locks have no reciept and arent CA DOJ approved (as far as I know) so they are a no-go. :rolleyes:

fairfaxjim
10-11-2007, 11:35 PM
Ya for a long gun if it doesnt have a OEM CA DOJ approved lock and if you dont own a CA DOJ approved gun safe you have to buy a CA DOJ approved gun lock. To make it more complicated they want a receipt dated less than 30 days, this is to try to keep you from using the same lock on multiple gun purchases (also they copy the receipt to show DOJ that the gun left with a locking device). The free child safe locks have no reciept and arent CA DOJ approved (as far as I know) so they are a no-go. :rolleyes:

Some of the "Child Safe" locks are actually on the DOJ list. Just get someone to type you up a receipt that says he either gave or sold you the lock. This lock BS is just confusion and background noise to discourage and increase the cost of buying guns.

C.G.
10-11-2007, 11:51 PM
Some FFLs accept them, others do not. My FFL used to, now I have to go to Big 5 again.:(

Bobula
10-11-2007, 11:53 PM
I filled out the safe waiver, even though they encouraged my to buy a new lock

socalguns
10-12-2007, 12:00 AM
If you just grab one from a bucket or whater, I'm sure you won't get a receipt.
Ask for a receipt and you'll get it.

socalguns
10-12-2007, 12:04 AM
You could have just written a receipt :) all you need is date, seller, and list of sale items(number of locks, model of locks)

tenpercentfirearms
10-12-2007, 7:04 AM
All of the Project Childsafe locks are approved FSDs. You still need a receipt showing you purchased it within the last 30 days if you are going to use it to complete your transaction.

FortCourageArmory
10-12-2007, 10:31 AM
As I have said before, I give away Project Childsafe gunlocks with every firearm bought from or transfered through my shop. I note it on the DROS as well (in the "Comments" section) so there is a written record. Should cover the bases pretty well.

CSACANNONEER
10-12-2007, 3:26 PM
As I have said before, I give away Project Childsafe gunlocks with every firearm bought from or transfered through my shop. I note it on the DROS as well (in the "Comments" section) so there is a written record. Should cover the bases pretty well.

Whoops, am I supposed to keep those?

Bobula,
You have a lock, right? Just send me $5.00 and I'll print a reciept on my computer and send it to you. Hell, I guess you could do that yourself.

Shane916
10-12-2007, 4:46 PM
...the gun working the counter signed everything they do for when they pick it up.

I'd be weary of FFL's who have guns working the counter! :D

Res
10-12-2007, 4:59 PM
maybe it was hired on as "loss prevention"

Shane916
10-12-2007, 5:02 PM
maybe it was hired on as "loss prevention"

lets hope it doesn't get fired... ha.. ha.. ok im done :D

donbing
10-12-2007, 5:35 PM
Our store accepts the free locks given out by law enforcement agencies. We do require that a receipt with date of transaction OR a business card from the agency with the issuing person's name and date of transaction be provided or we will not accept it.
Remember, as goofy as this law/requirement is, we (the gun shop) have to be able to provide all that stuff when we receive our inspections from the gun police. Yes, it sometimes upsets people and they think we're making things up but we've got too much on the line to bend a law, even the goofy ones.