PDA

View Full Version : Identify these 1911 grips for me please

NeoWeird
10-11-2007, 9:00 PM
I pulled these off an older Series 70 Colt Combat Commander. I purchased the gun used and got NO information from the original seller who was rather old (and by old I mean getting rid of his guns in preperation for death). At first I figured they were some 80's trash pachmayr or Houge wrap arounds but have yet to see any like it. I ventured over to Brownells to see if I could order factory grips for it and the factory exploded view shows wrap around grips similar in style to these but I have yet to see another Colt Combact Commander with these grips on which leads me to believe they are NOT factory. Any infromation would be great. The only other distinguishing marks is a raised "RF 45c" on the inside of the grip, however the gun itself is a 9mm variant so that may just be a generic marking for a "45" grip (ie 1911 style).

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b354/NeoWeird/CCCgrips.jpg

dfletcher
10-11-2007, 9:58 PM
Mustang I presume.

Timberland
10-11-2007, 10:07 PM
Could pachmay have just made the stock grips?

NeoWeird
10-12-2007, 3:57 PM
The original Colt grips have the medallion in them and have a much tighter cross hatching and don't have those larger diamonds in it. Not sure why they were replaced with something so close to the factory part unless the originals were damaged and they were trying to replace them as close to factory as they could without buying factory parts. Outside of the grips everything seems to be factory.

As for Mustang what do you mean? If you mean the Colt Mustang I haven't seen any with grips similar to this one.

dfletcher
10-12-2007, 6:07 PM
Nope, not for the Mustang, they're for the 1911 - manufactured (or at least sold as their own) by a company called Mustang. They also sold wood grips whose main attribute, back in the days of thin S & W Magnas, was that they had the dimensions of of a 2 X 4 - except with distinct finger grooves.

NeoWeird
10-13-2007, 8:46 AM
I tried looking for Mustang 1911 grips and I just can't seem to find it in reference to anything but the Colt Mustang. I did see one that referenced Mustang Tac Inc. but nothing on the site referenced it so Google's database is just not updated.

Perhaps I'll never know their true origin, but at least I know they aren't factory which is all that really matters.

LLando
10-13-2007, 9:21 AM
Your grips are from the "Rangefield" line of rubber grips that Mustang Grips produced back during the mid to late 1980"s. They also had similar grips for the S&W Model 39's & 59's.

If I remember correctly, Supreme Products acquired Mustang during the early eighties with the line disappearing sometime around 1990.

NeoWeird
10-13-2007, 9:50 AM
Your grips are from the "Rangefield" line of rubber grips that Mustang Grips produced back during the mid to late 1980"s. They also had similar grips for the S&W Model 39's & 59's.

If I remember correctly, Supreme Products acquired Mustang during the early eighties with the line disappearing sometime around 1990.

AWESOME!

You rock.

LLando
10-13-2007, 10:11 AM
Glad to help. As far as the wooden grips, I thought the grips for the Ruger single actions felt like 2 x 4's, but I loved the ones for the small frame S&W's and Colts.

As a side note, I was in Memphis a month ago and took a tour of Graceland. There in the gun case was Elvis' favorite Colt Python wearing a pair of zebrawood Mustang Pistol Grips.