PDA

View Full Version : Scope any good for an AR?

RangerJoe
03-05-2013, 4:25 PM
Can't afford an expensive scope just yet. In the mean time is this scope a decent quality for the sale price?

Easy to sight? Hold zero?

Waste of money/time?

http://www.ads.turners.com/weekly/offthehook_2013-03-06.png

ExtremeX
03-05-2013, 4:28 PM
There are better scopes to spend your money on, even if you are set on buying budget stuff.

Jyruiz
03-05-2013, 4:30 PM
Yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RangerJoe
03-05-2013, 4:31 PM
There are better scopes to spend your money on, even if you are set on buying budget stuff.

Open to suggestions, Make, model, part numbers.

mceod
03-05-2013, 4:38 PM
I've got one I'd sell you for half that price. PM me if you're interested.

Ninety
03-05-2013, 4:39 PM
look at primaryarms.com

negolien
03-05-2013, 4:44 PM
Ya No offense but I agree Ncstar are junk. If you're looking for a cheap cheap scope try Busnell Banners.

five.five-six
03-05-2013, 4:48 PM
Do not walk, run away from that scope, unless of course you never intend on shooting your rifle, in which case that scope will do a great job of makeing it look tacticool :thumbsup:

If you do shoot your gun, practice with your iron sites while you save up the $300-500 you will need for a good scope. You should be able to hit clay pigeons at well over 100 yards with iron sights.

A cheep scope with poor optics and shifting retical will make you hate your gun.

Merc1138
03-05-2013, 4:50 PM
There's a scope in that ad?

All I see is a couple knives, remoil wipes, and a poorly functioning overpriced doorstop.

rero360
03-05-2013, 4:54 PM
Do not walk, run away from that scope, unless of course you never intend on shooting your rifle, in which case that scope will do a great job of makeing it look tacticool :thumbsup:

If you do shoot your gun, practice with your iron sites while you save up the $300-500 you will need for a good scope. You should be able to hit clay pigeons at well over 100 yards with iron sights.

A cheep scope with poor optics and shifting retical will make you hate your gun.

Exactly, that is a lesson I learned with a cheap guitar that never stayed tuned and a cheap walmart red dot that never kept zero.

ivanimal
03-05-2013, 4:55 PM
Ya No offense but I agree Ncstar are junk. If you're looking for a cheap cheap scope try Busnell Banners.

^^This

ExtremeX
03-05-2013, 5:01 PM
Open to suggestions, Make, model, part numbers.

I’m not doing to do your research for you… part of the reason why is because I no longer seek or research entry level options.

If you really want a suggestion the Vortex Diamondback series treated me extremely well, was a quality optic for the price, and allowed me something good enough to progress while I saved for better glass. Just an example of the type of stuff I would be looking for... The resale value was also good enough to be considered a smart purchase.

From my past experiences… which did include a handful of really crappy scopes from NCStar and Barska I learned a few things… You are much better off shopping for the bottom of the line or entry level models from reputable manufactures like Vortex, Nikon, Bushnell,Redfield, Various Primary Arms optics or any of the other well known brands who also have a reputation for making quality scopes. Sure you might end up spending a little more, but it’s still money well spent, vs throwing money away.

JNunez23
03-05-2013, 5:02 PM
I agree with Primary Arms- they make great affordable stuff.

If I were you OP, I would pass on anything Ncstar. Unless its like a riser or something unimportant.

Merc1138
03-05-2013, 5:05 PM
I’m not doing to do your research for you… part of the reason why is because I no longer seek or research entry level options.

From my past experiences… which did include a handful of really crappy scopes from NCStar and Barska I learned a few things… You are much better off shopping for the bottom of the line or entry level models from reputable manufactures like Vortex, Nikon, Bushnell,Redfield, Various Primary Arms optics or any of the other well knows brands. Sure you might end up spending a little more, but it’s still money well spent, vs throwing money away.

Very true. It's not as if there is a lack of discussion regarding entry level optics.

Heck, just going to the optics sub forum and displaying the past few months it should be easy enough to find at least a half dozen threads regarding various models from the entry level lines of the above mentioned brands and more.

MontezumaBlackOut
03-05-2013, 5:09 PM
Want affordable and decent? Primary Arms. Just like the others above have said. Do some research..., play..., decide...you may end up with two or more scopes. Depends on what you enjoy. I have a few scopes for different uses. This topic was the most difficult for me and took several months to decide. I finally decided to just get the few (and totally different) scopes I wanted and am happy.

Saym14
03-05-2013, 5:15 PM
you get what you pay for. so far I have had decent luch with HcStar stuff....for the price

Lead Waster
03-05-2013, 5:15 PM
The Bushnell 3200 fixed 10x magnification is about $200 and pretty good.

On my .22 I have a Barska 3x9 ".22 Plinker". (Cheap $40 scope) I realized how important a good scope MOUNT was too when I took this to an Appleseed event and it moved all over the place. I used a UTG Air Rifle mount and it works pretty good. So don't over look the mounts! Don't use the single screw ones.

ZX-10R
03-05-2013, 5:21 PM
Yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amen...I have on on my WASR and that thing has shot more rounds than others will in a few years. It holds zero and does a great job of keeping my WASR around 2-4 MOA at 100yrds all day. NcStar has good products...They are my customer.

G21Shooter
03-05-2013, 6:55 PM
look at primaryarms.com

+1 Primary Arms is the way to go for budget AR15 optics.

NcStar are airsoft grade optics, don't buy it!

sholling
03-05-2013, 7:24 PM
NcStar are junk. The cheapest that I'd go with is a Weaver V3 1-3x20 (http://swfa.com/Weaver-Classic-V-Rifle-Scopes-C1813.aspx) or V10 2-10x38 (http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=WE&prodID=WE849403&prodTitle=Weaver%202-10X38%20Classic%20V-10%20Riflescope%20Ballistic-X%20Reticle%20Matte) in a Burris QD P.E.P.R. mount (http://swfa.com/Burris-AR-PEPR-QD-1-Scope-Mount-P48181.aspx). Good fully multicoated Japanese glass (a very good thing) and solid construction from a company company that's been designing quality scopes for decades.

mcmikeblues7
03-05-2013, 8:03 PM
The oil wipes would do a better job.

SoCalXD
03-05-2013, 8:54 PM
Spend 52 min and go watch NutNFancy's "Best AR Scopes" Video on you tube from a month ago. Solid advise on budget scopes. Burris, Redfield and weaver 2x7s and 3x9s are good to go for $150-$200. I know how hard it is to save up, but "buy once, cry once" is sage advise from someone who no doubt wasted a lot of money on poorly thought out, "cheaper" purchases.

G60
03-05-2013, 8:56 PM
Use irons for now, and put that $79 towards an Aimpoint PRO.

Jyruiz
03-06-2013, 6:05 AM
Amen...I have on on my WASR and that thing has shot more rounds than others will in a few years. It holds zero and does a great job of keeping my WASR around 2-4 MOA at 100yrds all day. NcStar has good products...They are my customer.

I was answering yes to this.

Waste of money/time?

Oliver_Charles
03-06-2013, 6:14 AM

The War Wagon
03-06-2013, 6:23 AM
Crapstar. :facepalm:

1) Pinch pennies, 'til they
2) scream, and then purchase
3) Aimpoint, EOTech, or Trijicon.

Buy crap, you'll be out THAT money, that you'll have to save again - PLUS more - to get your QUALITY glass.

Here endeth the lesson. :oji: