PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever heard of an FFL requesting that a buyer "ammend paperwork"?

Richie Rich
10-11-2007, 8:21 PM
Last year around Christmas, my girlfriend purchased a Mossberg 12ga shotgun from Big5.

Today she gets a phone call asking her to return to the store and initial a portion of the "paperwork that she filled out". Supposedly, something has been ammended on the DROS or 4473.

The only thing I can think of is we recently had a zip code split, our house is in the new zip area and she may have put the wrong zip on the form.

I have never heard of any of these forms being "ammended".

Should she bring a lawyer? ;) :rolleyes:

Smokeybehr
10-11-2007, 8:56 PM
Last year around Christmas, my girlfriend purchased a Mossberg 12ga shotgun from Big5.

Today she gets a phone call asking her to return to the store and initial a portion of the "paperwork that she filled out". Supposedly, something has been ammended on the DROS or 4473.

The only thing I can think of is we recently had a zip code split, our house is in the new zip area and she may have put the wrong zip on the form.

Should she bring a lawyer? ;) :rolleyes:

Sounds like BS. She needs to find out exactly what they want her to amend. Zip Code splits aren't a valid reason, since they happen all the time, especially with the way that cities in CA are growing.

AJAX22
10-11-2007, 9:02 PM
Sometimes when reviewing paperwork FFL's will come across something that their employee didn't catch (usually its an abreviation that has been used instead of writing out a full word)

Because any slight error can get their ticket pulled by the state or feds they may ask you to come in and write in the correct info and initial the change.

Can'thavenuthingood
10-11-2007, 9:19 PM
No on the lawyer.
Its a commercial establishment.
We all know how squeaky clean the paperwork has to be.
I'd just go in and take care of it.

Unless she is some sort of criminal its not a sting op just a correction.

Vick

C.G.
10-11-2007, 9:29 PM
No on the lawyer.
Its a commercial establishment.
We all know how squeaky clean the paperwork has to be.
I'd just go in and take care of it.

Unless she is some sort of criminal its not a sting op just a correction.

Vick

+1. My FFL told me that during last audit, one DROS was signed in green ink, which I guess is not kosher. They had to call him in to re-sign in black (I am not sure I believe the story wholeheartedly).

slick_711
10-11-2007, 9:31 PM
You don't need a lawyer it's the shops @$$ hanging in the balance. If they're smart they'll make a copy of the 4473 and amend that, as the ATF has made it clear on numerous occasions that the 4473 should note be changed after the firearm is released.

artherd
10-11-2007, 9:36 PM
It's actually farily common, an auditor probally busted someone on using abreviations instead of full words.

leelaw
10-11-2007, 9:38 PM
Yes, usually when the shop runs an internal audit they may find errors which require correction by the purchaser, who needs to be called in to correct something they wrote/signed/dated/abbreviated/whatever.

Knauga
10-11-2007, 10:17 PM
Out of curiosity, what happens if she refuses? She obviously filled out the paperwork to the satisfaction of the store at the time of purchase, they gave her the gun at the end of her wait. She's has the shotty, had it for a year.

Really just curious if there is actually something that would happen to her?

Can'thavenuthingood
10-11-2007, 10:36 PM
I think if there was anything serious done by her as far as fraud etc, the authorities would have already been at her door.

I'm thinking something like a T not crossed or an I not dotted or even the green ink as mentioned earlier.

Take her over to the store and make the FFL and honest man.

Vick

rod
10-12-2007, 6:22 AM
Maybe you'll get a free box of ammo for your trouble.

halifax
10-12-2007, 6:43 AM
Out of curiosity, what happens if she refuses? She obviously filled out the paperwork to the satisfaction of the store at the time of purchase, they gave her the gun at the end of her wait. She's has the shotty, had it for a year.

Really just curious if there is actually something that would happen to her?

Probably nothing would happen to her as long as she was truthful on the original paperwork. The dealer, however, might be tagged as one who willfully ignores the law. It could set into motion the revoking of his/her license. Being a dealer is hard enough without this BS hanging over you.

tenpercentfirearms
10-12-2007, 7:02 AM
I think you are entitled to have more information on what needs fixed. And most certainly the should compensate your girlfriend for her time in coming down to fix their mistake.

tiki
10-12-2007, 7:05 AM
I would agree that she should first call to find out exactly needs to be amended, and then, go ahead and take care of it.
FFLs have enough problems with the state and feds making it difficult for them to do business, the last thing we need to do as law abiding firearms owners is to add to thier problems.
Just my .02

AKman
10-12-2007, 7:52 AM
The right thing to do would be to go down to Grande Cinco and initial the change. Resist the entitlement mentality since both parties likely contributed to the error (your girlfriend probably made some sort of "mistake" and the Big 5 employee didn't catch it as he/she should have). I see no need for lawyers, compensation, a free lunch, etc.

Prc329
10-12-2007, 8:13 AM
I had Turners do that to me. They sent me a letter about a month after I got my first handgun. I went down to the store and it seems they forgot to get a signature on the DROs form. Being my first gun, a handgun and my wife being paranoid I had no problem fixing it for them. The salesman throw in a cleaning kit as a thank you.

Kruzr
10-12-2007, 9:39 AM
This is not uncommon. Before an ATF audit, any FFL who cares about his business will review his forms on record to look for oversights and errors. To be perfectly legal, the person who filled out the form must be the one who corrects it.

ldivinag
10-12-2007, 9:53 AM
i had to re-do a 4473 once since i wrote "CA" instead of the full spelling... (or was that "ALA" instead of alameda county...)

edit: i remember now... i wrote "Y" instead of "YES" on the q/a part of the form...

fortunately, it took less than 5 minutes. mistake was on my part. i didnt read the instruction on the form correctly...

ever since, i read and re-read the form.

emc002
10-12-2007, 10:42 AM

Sometimes FFLs forget something. I just had to go back and perform/fill out a safe handling demonstration. My FFL got dinged on his recent audit for forgetting to have me do it and called me up to come help him fix it.
Of course, my FFL is a good guy so I didn't have a problem, besides I was already going there to DROS another gun!
Honest mistakes do happen.

socalguns
10-13-2007, 2:24 AM
It happened to me when I went in to pick up my gun, the guy reviewed the paperwork before releasing the gun, and saw I left off the name of the county

The SoCal Gunner
10-13-2007, 2:50 AM
Hope it doesn't happen to me. Even though I would probably have no problem helping out a good FFL, I'd think they'd have trouble finding me. So far I've used 3 different addresses for purchases because of moves with my last residence being the one where the majority of purchases were made. 3 different phone numbers were also used as I didn't have a cell phone then but even still that could have changed.

PIRATE14
10-13-2007, 5:56 AM
No big deal......just run down there and fix the form.....if they give u a little luv......be happy....:chris:

cadurand
10-13-2007, 10:53 AM
I've had something like this happen once but they caught the mistake (theirs) during my 10-day wait so I fixed it when I went to pick up the pistol.

People make mistakes. If you want to help a local shop, or Big 5 in this case, stay in the firearms business(especially in California) just go in and correct the problem for them.