PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know anything about Broomhandle mausers?

pwall
10-11-2007, 3:09 PM
My grandfather owns one, and after doing an auctionarms search I learned quickly that they are worth a pretty penny, depending on certain details. What would be a good way to determine how much his is worth, not knowing much about the gun? His is in excellent condition btw, and is missing the wood stock. Any online sites? I dont really want to buy a book...THANKS!

Fjold
10-11-2007, 3:18 PM
Condition is utmost.
Then what variation? (Some are very, very rare.)
Then matching numbers on parts and what the finish is like.

Google "Broomhandle Mauser collectors"

and check here:

http://www.mauserguns.com/gungallery1.asp

WolfMansDad
10-11-2007, 3:24 PM
Han Solo's blaster in Star Wars was a broomhandle mauser with a scope.

They used to be considered assault weapons in California, because the magazine sits forward of the trigger guard. That may have changed, though, with the olympic-pistol exemption. You ought to check on the legality as well as the worth of the piece.

pwall
10-11-2007, 3:31 PM
im pretty sure its the 7.63 version, and again, good condition and good finish. It has a fixed, top loading magazine. I'll have to go over there again and take note of all text on the barrell. I think legality is not a problem, i've seen a few of them for sale in a gun collectors store in culver city, (think its called Redding's).

CWM4A1
10-11-2007, 3:50 PM
Just happened to sold one at the range I work two weeks ago, a used Mauser Broomhandle in pretty good condition, consignment, $1050.

First, you need to determine what % is your finish. Also look at barrel, some broomhandle shoots corossive ammo (especially those imported from China), lack of maintainance can kill that barrel pretty fast. I have yet to see any Chinese imported broomhandle in great barrel condition.

Second, if you know how to take this gun apart, check to see if all parts have matching serial number. Any serial number that does not match will reduce it's value. Some parts that has serial number is not visible outside which require you to disassemble it to find out. Internal magazine follower and locking mechanism comes to mind. On the outside, barrel, hammer, bolt and trigger housing should have serial number stamped on it.

The one I sold was about 85% finish, 5.5" barrel, nice and shiny bore, Serial number 281XXX indicated that it's probably built around 1915. Go to local gunshop and see if they have time to sit down with you and look through bluebook of gun values, it has a lot of information in it.

CWM4A1
10-11-2007, 3:53 PM
By the way, broomhandle are C&R thus is not AW. Further more, BATF has clear it from SBR if original or proper reproduction stock/holster can be found. Decent reproduction stock runs about $150-200.

m24armorer
10-11-2007, 5:42 PM
Send me some pics, I'll tell you more than you ever wanted to know.

pwall
10-11-2007, 6:29 PM
Ok i'll get some pics...Thanks!

Mssr. Eleganté
10-11-2007, 7:15 PM
By the way, broomhandle are C&R thus is not AW...

This is INCORRECT!

There is no C&R exemption for "Assault Weapons" in California.

C96 "Broomhandle" Mausers do not have detachable magazines. That's the reason they are not "Assault Weapons" in California.

random
10-11-2007, 8:29 PM
thread jack/
My dad had a broom handle with a detachable mag. It also fired in "full auto", one pull of the trigger and all 15 rounds were spent. It was given to him by a WW II vet who served in Europe. I handled it once when I was about 5, then it was stolen along with the rest of his collection. Anyone have a clue about this model. thanks--random
\end thread jack

AJAX22
10-11-2007, 8:46 PM
thread jack/
My dad had a broom handle with a detachable mag. It also fired in "full auto", one pull of the trigger and all 15 rounds were spent. It was given to him by a WW II vet who served in Europe. I handled it once when I was about 5, then it was stolen along with the rest of his collection. Anyone have a clue about this model. thanks--random
\end thread jack

That sounds like a reproduction made by the chinese.

The broomhandle was an easy conversion to Full auto and the chinese made a .45 auto version called the 712 machine pistol

http://www.gunsworld.com/mauser/c96_china_us.html

BigRich
10-12-2007, 12:41 AM
"BATF has clear it from SBR if original or proper reproduction stock/holster can be found"
I am not sure if this is correct. I remember reading on the BATF site awhile back that the shoulder stock had to date to at least the same period. This bears researching so no one ends up in jail for possesion of an SBR.

saki302
10-12-2007, 5:00 PM
Random,

The Broomhandle your dad had was a German Mauser 'Schnellfeuer' Model 712 machine pistol.

The Chinese did make a copy of this for sale here in the US about 10 years ago- it worked the same (detachable mag), but was not full auto, nor was it easily convertible (they did use some but not all of the 712 parts, probably from leftover demills/kits). I've examined one- to convert, you'd have to first obtain an original set of unaltered M712 parts (good luck), and then drill an obvious selector hole in the frame, which would be as obvious and illegal as drilling the sear hole in an AK.

The problem with these guns is spare parts- they're near unobtainable, and do not interchange with standard broom parts mostly (although some broom parts may work with hand fitting). And the Chinese copies most certainly ARE AW's in the state of CA as of now.

A 'real' transferrable M712 goes for about $12,000+. A chinese Semi copy now goes for $1200+! Yes, shocking!

The original broom in question would be worth between $500 (non matching 7.62), to $700-1000 (matching but worn) to maybe $1500 (pristine). Don't be fooled by gunbroker prices- a lot of the ones on there don't move. I was tempted to buy a 7.62 non matching at SAR last year on my C&R ($495), but didn't feel like feeding an oddball caliber. DO NOT USE 7.62 Tokarev in it either- it will kill your gun.

-Dave

-Dave