PDA

View Full Version : CRPA LEGISLATIVE ALERT!

AKman
10-11-2007, 2:34 PM
Just received this e-mail. I don't know the basis for why they think the Gov is "seriously considering" AB 1471. It might help to flood the phone lines today.

AB 1471 (MICROSTAMPING) HAS BEEN SENT TO THE GOVERNOR

AND HE IS SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING SIGNING IT IN TO LAW!!!

YOUR IMMEDIATE ACTION IS REQUIRED!!!

Please redistribute this action alert to others as soon as possible!!!!

AB 1471 is strongly opposed by the California Rifle and Pistol Association. Your contacts with the Governor in opposition are urgently needed right now!!! He will be acting on this very soon!!!...... Perhaps within hours!!!

MICROSTAMPING

AB 1471 (Feuer) Microstamping - Would expand the definition of "unsafe handgun" to include semiautomatic pistols that are not designed and equipped with a microscopic array of characters that identify the make, model, and serial number of the pistol, and which are transferred in at least two places by imprinting onto each cartridge case when the firearm is discharged. Theoretically, this will enable identification of the registered owner.

Even though over 90% of handguns used in crime are stolen, the registered owner from whom the firearm was stolen would become the subject of a criminal investigation and possibly prosecution!

If signed into law, AB 1471`s requirements could soon be expanded to cover all firearms of any kind! And.if a criminal gets a hold of some of your spent cases (as from a shooting range) he can leave them at a crime scene and the police will come looking for you!! To make matters even worse, scientific studies have shown that any criminal can easily remove or defeat the microstamping technology with a minimum of effort!!!!

IMMEDIATE ACTION NEEDED!!!

It is important that every owner of firearms of any kind immediately contact the Governor to oppose AB 1471!!! If this bill passes, it will soon be expanded to cover all firearms!!!

THE GOVERNOR CAN BE CONTACTED AS FOLLOWS:

FAX: (916) 445-4633
PHONE: (916) 445-2841

e-mail:
http://gov.ca.gov/interact
http://governor@governor.ca.gov

Your action is needed now if we are to have success!!!

The Governor will act on these bills very soon!!

Please act today!!!

RudyN
10-11-2007, 7:06 PM
I called again. I have called several times and just want to make sure the governor knows how bad this bill is.

bwiese
10-11-2007, 11:21 PM
CRPA's just gotten off its arse now?

What happen, Erdman finally got a shot of caffeine?

Geez.

kap
10-11-2007, 11:28 PM
Seriously, where have they been that past few months?

bwiese
10-11-2007, 11:38 PM
Seriously, where have they been that past few months?

Dunno. A group with elected leaders, board of directors, board meetings would be active and responsive.

Oh - hold it, I forgot - they don't have any of the above. You're just supposed to send money and hope it does something.

Sometimes it does - like when they supported SB15 'Safe handgun' drop test law.

Or when they managed to fire off a fairly casual 3 paragraph letter for the Aug 2006 DOJ 'detachable magazine' hearings [whereas dozens of Calgunners submitted far more formal analyses/comments - and CRPA nor GOC showed up at the hearings but were just down the street, Calgunners saw 'em later. The NRA sent two dudes to back us up.]

CRPA is essentially a horse-trading lobbying organization that sometimes deals with firearms issues but often screws things up.

GOC leadership is pretty stupid too: some of their recent antics about lead issues caused the NRA to get the blame at an inopportune time, the latter organization being too smart to act up at a critical time.

kap
10-11-2007, 11:59 PM
Wow, what a scam. They probably have pot-luck dinners with the Brady's where they discuss strategy.

bwiese
10-12-2007, 11:12 AM
Wow, what a scam. They probably have pot-luck dinners with the Brady's where they discuss strategy.

It's not that bad, but CRPA and GOC dudes self-style themselves as real political 'players' and then think they made good 'deals'.

In reality, 'bait' material is put into bills - which has little chance of surviving - that is then negotiated away. The CRPA thinks they got something when in reality they just worked at getting rid of something that would be eliminated anyway.

Because they're essentially private lobbyist orgs with a pro-gun slant, there's a lot of trade-offs going on. CRPAs Kathy Lynch was involved with Torrico's AB2731 bill last year and one other non-gun matter - end result was that CRPA was helping the attempt to ban mail-order ammo. (Good for her chain store clients locking away the bulk ammo from the marketplace!)

Also, un-thought-out CRPA and GOC positions can be dangerous because when CA pro-gun opposition (NRA, CRPA, GOC) is perceived as split then fence-sitting politicians don't think the gunnies are united and that an antigun vote is thus 'safe' because we weren't noisy enough.

I don't hold much hope for CRPA until there's a change of regime there, and the group 'opens up' from its sole-proprietorship status.

GOC's Paredes seems to let personal agendas against politicans/staffers drive his actions without figuring consequences and timing. It appears the NRA is taking heat for the ruckus he & others started in relation to condor/lead issues w/DFG. He's thinking about the direct result and not the indirect one and side effects.

As I understand it, CRPA was nowhere to be found during the reshaping of AB2728 ;)

Kestryll
10-12-2007, 12:23 PM
So other than the CA-NRA who have been with us from the gate what other CA specific groups are there?
More importantly ones that are active, plugged in and viable.

Anthonysmanifesto
10-12-2007, 12:29 PM
COHA is opposing AB 821 and AB 1471.

this is a coalition of outdoors , and hunting groups and others.

AKman
10-12-2007, 3:49 PM
It's not that bad, but CRPA and GOC dudes self-style themselves as real political 'players' and then think they made good 'deals'.

In reality, 'bait' material is put into bills - which has little chance of surviving - that is then negotiated away. The CRPA thinks they got something when in reality they just worked at getting rid of something that would be eliminated anyway.

Because they're essentially private lobbyist orgs with a pro-gun slant, there's a lot of trade-offs going on. CRPAs Kathy Lynch was involved with Torrico's AB2731 bill last year and one other non-gun matter - end result was that CRPA was helping the attempt to ban mail-order ammo. (Good for her chain store clients locking away the bulk ammo from the marketplace!)

Also, un-thought-out CRPA and GOC positions can be dangerous because when CA pro-gun opposition (NRA, CRPA, GOC) is perceived as split then fence-sitting politicians don't think the gunnies are united and that an antigun vote is thus 'safe' because we weren't noisy enough.

I don't hold much hope for CRPA until there's a change of regime there, and the group 'opens up' from its sole-proprietorship status.

GOC's Paredes seems to let personal agendas against politicans/staffers drive his actions without figuring consequences and timing. It appears the NRA is taking heat for the ruckus he & others started in relation to condor/lead issues w/DFG. He's thinking about the direct result and not the indirect one and side effects.

As I understand it, CRPA was nowhere to be found during the reshaping of AB2728 ;)

CRPA rearranged is CRAP. I'm sure its just a coincidence.

So, what would it take for there to be a regime change at CRPA?

I send money to CRPA, NRA and GOA/GOC and at times are unhappy with all three.

What about the Calguns.net Militia, which could be well regulated under (501(c)(3). With the exception of rucolt45, there seems to be a lot of brain cells here and a lot of people doing non-profit/charity work (e.g. Gose et al. with Toys for Tots).

johnny_22
10-12-2007, 4:37 PM

http://www.bradynetwork.org/site/MessageViewer/&printer_friendly=1?em_id=26061.0

"CALL GOV. SCHWARZENEGGER TODAY: 916-445-2841
In One Quick Phone Call, Voice Your Support for AB 1471!"

Calguns provides better instructions!

CSDGuy
10-12-2007, 5:27 PM
Well, the CRPA is good for at least one thing... they are a CMP affiliated organization...

MudCamper
10-12-2007, 5:49 PM
My interpretation of the CRPA is that they are, among some of the other things mentioned here, a pre-internet-generation organization. I know a lot of old timers that don't know how to send an e-mail, but are CRPA members.

WolfMansDad
10-12-2007, 6:29 PM
What about the Calguns.net Militia, which could be well regulated under (501(c)(3). With the exception of rucolt45, there seems to be a lot of brain cells here and a lot of people doing non-profit/charity work (e.g. Gose et al. with Toys for Tots).

Already in the works, but it won't be a "militia." It will be a non-profit civil-rights lobbying and legal-defense organization.

If you want to get involved, pm me.

Creeping Incrementalism
10-14-2007, 3:26 AM
GOC's Paredes seems to let personal agendas against politicans/staffers drive his actions without figuring consequences and timing. It appears the NRA is taking heat for the ruckus he & others started in relation to condor/lead issues w/DFG.

Bill, could you please expand on this, or provide a link about this if you have explained it here before?

Also, I just checked my email, and the first email I have from CRPA urging opposition on 1471 is May 21. They sent several other emails about it since.

Piper
10-14-2007, 11:08 AM
I really have no use for CRPA. If you invert the P and the A, that pretty much sums up my definition of them.

bwiese
10-14-2007, 11:39 AM
Bill, could you please expand on this, or provide a link about this if you have explained it here before?

It appears Sam Paredes of GOC started hammering on Dept of Fish & Game's commisioner Hanna by sending a nastygram to a bunch of legislators. Got everyone steamed up & worked up without considering the bigger picture - regardless of Hanna being helpful/useful, it got a dude kicked out and NRA takes the blame (when that's the last thing they'd do). Paredes fought the wrong battle at the wrong time because he appears to have had a personal grudge against Hanna.

AB821 could well have been quietly vetoed by Gov as unneeded, with the cover that DFG could easily handle it on a smaller scale more appropriate for fine-tuned regulations. The useless extra drama provided by the Hanna situation in effect removed any cover the gov might have had, and may have pushed him to this position.

While we don't know the gov's true feelings, certainly it made it harder for his staffers (which did not support either 821 or 1471).

Also, I just checked my email, and the first email I have from CRPA urging opposition on 1471 is May 21. They sent several other emails about it since.

Good to know, haven't heard much otherwise. You'd think they'd maybe try to talk to Calguns and others.

I just remember fuming at GOC and CRPA not showing up at the Aug 2006 DOJ regulatory hearings - they sent one-page letters in. We saw 'em downtown right afterwards, nothing else was really going on (except perhaps private nongun lobbying efforts).

bwiese
10-14-2007, 11:52 AM
I should add that AB1471 was, at least in part, brought to you by CRPA and SASS.

These clowns supported the original SB15 'unsafe handgun' laws back around 2000; AB1471 microstamping just patches into this block of laws (nb: which can be very useful to us in fighting it).

CRPA's lobbyists are tied in with big CA firearms retailers who loved the idea of big blocks of handguns becoming noncertified. As large retailers they can cycle this dead inventory out of the state, and at the same time devalue used guns already in circulation (by making them PPTable only). Smaller nonchain dealers with large used gun inventories were hit bigtime.

SASS comes along at the same time with its 'lobbyist' and gets bought off with the single-action exemption.

At the time the Legislature saw 3 gun groups - they dunno about relative size/power/skills/representation between the 3 - and they though it was a safe vote because gunowners appear 'split'.

If AB1471 had to exist in 'free standing' form - i.e, not as patched into unsafe handgun laws (12125PC et seq) there'd've been many other open questions that could be used to attack it, and there'd've been a higher bar to cross.

Thanks, CRPA.