PDA

View Full Version : Who likes the Beretta Tomcat?

pwall
10-11-2007, 12:34 PM
I own a beretta tomcat .32 auto. I really like the look, size, and caliber. To date ive only shot it twice, and each time had jamming problems. The only other guns I own are glocks and those never jam, maybe once. Do non glock guns require a "break in" period to get going, or is there something wrong with mine?
Thanks

RAD-CDPII
10-11-2007, 12:48 PM
I have one, it's never jammed on me. It is a nice size for just throwing in your pocket, a little light in stopping power, but better than nothing. Make sure that your grip is tight. I have a friend who has a 9MM Glock that always jamms on him, but I do not have the same problem when when I shoot his. Limp wrist syndrome can cause problems.

gunsnrovers
10-11-2007, 1:56 PM
I have an old M70 Puma also in .32ACP. Only works with FMJ's. Neat little pistol. It was the pocket pistol for my wife's grandfather when he used to dun his collection routes in the late 1950's and 1960's up in Half Moon Bay.

http://www.suckasstheatre.com/gunpics/beretta2.jpg

10-11-2007, 2:46 PM
A break in of a couple hundred rounds should be all that's needed for it. Hollowpoints may be a problem for it and really don't work in .32acp anyhow. Try it with Winchester Silvertips, If you have problems after that I'd call Beretta. Their customer service has always been top notch for me.

I like the concept of the Tomcat but I just feel it's too big for the intended use. I had the .25acp version years ago and found it was very reliable, I was excited when the Tomcat came out but when I handled it I just thought it was too big.

I now have a .25acp 950bs which is single action and much more size efficient. Unfortunately they don't make it anymore and never did in .32acp.

Nra-Life-Member
10-11-2007, 2:48 PM
The TOMCAT is an excellent weapon.. Has worked 100% of the time..

pwall
10-11-2007, 3:03 PM
thanks for the info 461, I'll try those silvertips. Thats an awesome gun there gunsnrovers! Looks like its in great condition considering its age. Keep it nice!!!

magsnubby
10-11-2007, 10:18 PM
Mine was a great little gun. It ran 100% out of the box. I ran 50 rounds of hardball through it to break it in (but i'm not really sure it needed to be broke in. It's just how i do all my simi autos. Even my Glocks) then all i used was Silver Tips and Miwall jhp reloads. The only problem i ever had was with after market magazines. I tossed the after market pos in the trash and went back to factory magazines and never had any other issues with it.

Bobula
10-11-2007, 10:33 PM
Question, I've got a beretta 21a in .25, with the pop up bareel, everyone says it's a bobcat, but the last gunsmith I had work on it said it was a tomcat. What is it?

Timberland
10-11-2007, 10:57 PM
I love thoes little guns but they just seem overpriced IMO

ts
10-12-2007, 12:04 AM
I love thoes little guns but they just seem overpriced IMO

+ 1

69Mach1
10-12-2007, 11:49 AM
I've got one and I love it. Never had a failure with FMJ's and factory mags. It's real handy to carry in your pocket. I'm also more comfortable with having a .32 acp over a .25 cal.
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j258/FIVESIXTN/hkSONY1062.jpg

69Mach1
10-12-2007, 11:51 AM
Question, I've got a beretta 21a in .25, with the pop up bareel, everyone says it's a bobcat, but the last gunsmith I had work on it said it was a tomcat. What is it?

Your smith may have gotten confused. The 21A is the Bobcat.

Bobula
10-12-2007, 11:56 AM
Your smith may have gotten confused. The 21A is the Bobcat.

Sweet ty, is there anyway to find out when it was made?

pwall
10-12-2007, 1:12 PM
The aftermarket mags may be the problem. I seem to remember it jamming while using the promags. Maybe I should toss those and stick to factory beretta mags?

ibanezfoo
10-12-2007, 9:02 PM
I own a beretta tomcat .32 auto. I really like the look, size, and caliber. To date ive only shot it twice, and each time had jamming problems. The only other guns I own are glocks and those never jam, maybe once. Do non glock guns require a "break in" period to get going, or is there something wrong with mine?
Thanks

I have one. It is what it is. I have never had a single jam with it. It certainly isn't my go-to weapon.

-Bryan

Bongos
10-13-2007, 12:37 AM
Had one, collected lint like crazy. It was reliable and for what it's design to do, it went bang every time and grouped good for close shooting, One thing I didn't like is that brass flew straight back hitting the shooter:rolleyes:

Timberland
10-13-2007, 3:06 PM
One thing I didn't like is that brass flew straight back hitting the shooter:rolleyes:

Thats why you have to shoot holding it sideways.

COILSPRING
10-13-2007, 3:22 PM
I've had a couple and I love 'em. They only made them for a short amount of time. They are .25 acp and are surprisingly accurate. I'll bet that the Bobcat and Tomcat are as well.

GlockOn
10-14-2007, 1:21 AM
I have to be honest, I had a Beretta 3032 Tomcat .32 ACP that I purchased new in 2005. I loved the size, great for concealment. It was as accurate as you could expect it to be. However, after firing only 60 rounds out of it, I noticed a problem upon cleaning it. The gun has an aluminum frame and a steel slide.... We all know that steel is harder than aluminum. So the slide was carving a notch into the frame every time I fired it. After only 60 rounds this was noticeable. I got rid of it and I was honest with the buyer about why I wanted to get rid of it.

I've talked to two other individuals who have had problems with theirs after 650 rounds had been fired. Both called Beretta and were apparently told that Beretta only warranty's the gun for 500 rounds.

My Dad also had the same issue with my mom's Bobcat .22LR. When he called Beretta they told him, "Those guns aren't really meant to be shot."

For Beretta to come out and say they make guns that aren't meant to be shot, really left me with a negative feeling about Beretta in general.

If I buy a gun, I want to be able to take it to the range and shoot it, whether it's a tiny little gun or not, it should be able to be shot a fair amount.

If you want to carry this gun for a backup and be careful with how many rounds you fire, that's fine.

However, if you are looking for a gun that you can run hundreds or thousands of rounds through, don't look to the Beretta Tomcat or Bobcat.

maxicon
10-14-2007, 10:54 AM
One of the problems with these little guns is no extractor. If you have one as a defense back up or similar and have a FTE jam for whatever reason, it's very slow to clear - no tap-rack-bang here!

I've got a 21a Bobcat (.22 LR), and it's basically a plinker, and an inaccurate, unreliable one at that. I understand the centerfire ones are more reliable than the rimfire, so that's something, but I hate the sights.

Here's a review I wrote on my 21a, and a photo comparison to the Keltec P3AT. Too bad the P3AT's not more available here.

Oops! Forgot the link - http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=21488

ttboy
10-14-2007, 12:47 PM
I had a Tomcat some time ago I sold because it was too large for the caliber it fired and durability their were rumors of slides breaking. I traded it for a NAA Guardian in .32 ACP and I am happy camper!!!