PDA

View Full Version : Private party paper work for out of state sale

Sidewaysammy
10-11-2007, 8:35 AM
I used the SEARCH function, but didnt come up with anything regarding the required paperwork needed when a pistol is mailed from a private party to a FFL dealer in CA.

What documentation is needed on the SELLERS end?
What does paperwork does he need to include with the pistol (which is being sent to the FFL in CA)

Thanks.

ohsmily
10-11-2007, 8:45 AM
I used the SEARCH function, but didnt come up with anything regarding the required paperwork needed when a pistol is mailed from a private party to a FFL dealer in CA.

What documentation is needed on the SELLERS end?
What does paperwork does he need to include with the pistol (which is being sent to the FFL in CA)

Thanks.

It's not called a "private party sale" when the gun is shipped from out of state. Consider it a standard FFL transfer. When people say "private party transfer" or "private party sale" they are referring to when both the buyer and seller meet at a dealer in person to transfer a gun. (these types of transfers have different rules governing them).

The first thing you need to do is make sure the handgun is on the CA DOJ approved handgun list.

Second, you need to find an FFL who is willing to do transfers. (note, the FFL may charge whatever he wants as his fee....shop around and find the cheapest guy who you think is a quality person/business to deal with).

Third, you need that FFL to either mail or fax a copy of his/her FFL to the seller in the other state.

Fourth, after a copy of the FFL and payment has been received by the seller, the gun will be shipped to your FFL and then you go there when the gun arrives and start the 10 day waiting period.

(note, the seller may ship his own gun to your FFL, he does NOT have to have an FFL ship it to your FFL).

Sidewaysammy
10-11-2007, 8:57 AM
Yes, the pistol is on the "approved" list.
What I meant by private party, is that the individual that I am purchasing the gun from, is NOT a retail outfit/store front etc. It is a private sale from his collection.
So when he ships the gun (what are the provisions set by Fed-Ex and UPS on shipping a firearm?)

And does the seller need to sign any documentation or include any documentation with the gun (inside the box) to my FFL ?

Third, you need that FFL to either mail or fax a copy of his/her FFL to the seller in the other state

Does this need to signed by the seller ?

thanks

SemiAutoSam
10-11-2007, 9:07 AM
Generally the individual would just include a copy of his State issued ID or Driver License.

You also need to find out if the FFL you plan to have accept the Firearm will indeed accept it from a non licensed individual (IE Someone that does not hold a FFL)

What I meant by private party, is that the individual that I am purchasing the gun from, is NOT a retail outfit/store front etc. It is a private sale from his collection.
So when he ships the gun (what are the provisions set by Fed-Ex and UPS on shipping a firearm?)

And does the seller need to sign any documentation or include any documentation with the gun (inside the box) to my FFL ?

Does this need to signed by the seller ?

thanks

Librarian
10-11-2007, 11:53 AM
I might be wrong, but this looks squirrely.

If I understand 18 USC 922 (a)(2) and (a)(5) correctly,
§ 922. Unlawful acts
(a) It shall be unlawful—
(1) for any person—
(A) except a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer, to engage in the business of importing, manufacturing, or dealing in firearms, or in the course of such business to ship, transport, or receive any firearm in interstate or foreign commerce; or
(B) except a licensed importer or licensed manufacturer, to engage in the business of importing or manufacturing ammunition, or in the course of such business, to ship, transport, or receive any ammunition in interstate or foreign commerce;
(2) for any importer, manufacturer, dealer, or collector licensed under the provisions of this chapter to ship or transport in interstate or foreign commerce any firearm to any person other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, ...

(5) for any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) to transfer, sell, trade, give, transport, or deliver any firearm to any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in which the transferor resides;...
interstate transfers must be TO an FFL, not merely using an FFL to comply with California law. That is, private party out of state essentially sells his gun from his collection to the CA FFL holder, and then the CA FFL holder sells it to you.

(C&R, of course, is different, but C&R is also exempt from Roster considerations.)

Gryff
10-11-2007, 1:36 PM
When I bought a gun this way, my FFL required a copy of the seller's drivers license.

-Jim

Rumpled
10-11-2007, 6:42 PM
The receiving FFL needs to send/fax a copy of his FFL to the seller.
Seller ships via UPS or FedEx to FFL. Handguns have to go overnight.
This is if his state/locale allows him to ship directly, some don't. If not, he has to pay a local FFL to ship it to your FFL.
FFL would probably want a copy of Driver's License of seller to complete his bound book.

When it shows up, you complete paperwork with FFL and maybe pay tax to him as well. (varies by FFL)

socalguns
10-12-2007, 12:24 AM
what do you think the difference is?

Sidewaysammy
10-12-2007, 9:15 AM
Thanks for all of the responses.
I will soon be the proud owner of a KIMBER Cusom II and a HK USPF .45 V1

ohsmily
10-12-2007, 9:27 AM
Thanks for all of the responses.
I will soon be the proud owner of a KIMBER Cusom II and a HK USPF .45 V1

You can only DROS one every 30 days. So, one of those will have to wait at the FFL for safe keeping once it arrives.

Sidewaysammy
10-12-2007, 4:41 PM
You can only DROS one every 30 days. So, one of those will have to wait at the FFL for safe keeping once it arrives.

Yes, but the range can hold them, and I can shoot them during the waiting period.

:D