PDA

View Full Version : Wife's AR build

firemanjoe
03-04-2013, 2:41 PM
I took my wife to the range the other day so she could shoot her new .38, she shot one of my ARs and fell in love with it! I couldn't be more thrilled that she is starting to share my passion. Now she wants me to build her one, a pink one (but not too girly) maybe something with some pink undertones with more gray than black for the receivers. I'm thinking I'm going to do a 80% build for her so I can mark it special for her and I can cerakote it whatever color I want. I'm looking for some input and some ideas, maybe your wife or girlfriend has one. Thanks

peacedivision
03-04-2013, 2:42 PM
If you go the 80% route she needs to complete the milling herself. Other than that I think its a solid idea!

firemanjoe
03-04-2013, 2:50 PM
I'm pretty solid on the rules for an 80% build, I have done three. Thanks for looking out though!

DPmax
03-04-2013, 2:52 PM
Great that your wife shoots with you, keep in mind that parts are still tough to get.

Agent Tikki
03-04-2013, 2:55 PM
Get her a LW barrel (pencil .625) unless she wants a benchrest gun, and a nice brake, like a surefire mb556. Furniture is up to you. My wifes like foliage green, so I'm going that route. Keep it light and mangeable and she'll love it.

firemanjoe
03-04-2013, 3:51 PM
Get her a LW barrel (pencil .625) unless she wants a benchrest gun, and a nice brake, like a surefire mb556. Furniture is up to you. My wifes like foliage green, so I'm going that route. Keep it light and mangeable and she'll love it.

Great idea, that never really even crossed my mind. I'll keep it as light as possible. I don't mind a rifle that's a little heavy, but she would!

gmcal
03-05-2013, 3:56 AM
I purchased a PSA complete upper with the lightweight (not pencil) profile barrel and MI SS Gen 2 rail. Assembled the lower and used an M4 stock. Used LMT rail mounted sights. Works for my wife.

mshill
03-05-2013, 8:25 AM
My wife shot mine for the first time Last Saturday. She had been a bit hesitant before because it was so loud she thought it would have a big kick.

We shot standing at 25 yds and she did really good. Her only complaint was the weight because she has had left shoulder surgery a couple years ago so it got difficult holding the barrel up.

hossb7
03-05-2013, 9:24 AM
Weight is a concern for my wife. she loves shooting my AR but doesn't like the weight.

I built one for her to use - 16" LW barrel, MOE everything with a red dot.

We both love it.

F1restarter
03-05-2013, 11:23 AM
Ugh... I'm almost embarrassed by this, but here goes.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb210/shenvi/vs1.jpg

Wife's is somewhat obviously the purple one. Mine is the olive. She played with mine until she said she wanted her own. So, we got to building. The lower is a Battle Born (US Firearms Acadamy in Reno) lower - it's a bit heavier than normal because they actually use billet and mill the heck out of it for a stronger and slightly more angular lower. They also let you pick out your serial number (if available), so it was nice to be able to get her birthday as the serial. Upper is a Stag 16" Left handed upper - she's left eye dominant, so she shoots lefty. Topped off with a BSA Sweet .223 scope -it's decent for the price. The foregrip is a Troy quad rail and we used Magpul rail guards on it. All of the plastic parts (stock, A2 grip, magazines, mapul rail covers, cheek riser) are duracoated. I think we're already looking at the next one once panic pricing has gone down and I've already visited Sun Devil arms and taken a peek at their annodized lower/upper sets in color.

peacedivision
03-05-2013, 11:28 AM
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-LIGHT-WEIGHT-Upper-Receiver-p/bcm-urg-mid-16lw.htm

BCM has light weight 16" uppers with no handguards in stock now.