PDA

View Full Version : can someone explain the laws regarding ar-15s to me

joewoolley
03-04-2013, 1:02 PM
i just moved down here and when i get a job i want to get an ar 15 but the laws here are totally new to me so could some one tell me is there a way to legally acquire an ar-15 without one of those ridiculous magazine locks? even if i can only use a 10 round magazine? if not im gonna buy a pump action shotgun and a 1911.

mcmikeblues7
03-04-2013, 1:03 PM
read the sticky. Or the other threads on here.

edrex
03-04-2013, 1:05 PM
Focus your search on "featureless builds".

chillincody
03-04-2013, 1:05 PM
look up featureless AR 15 thats the only way to have ar15 without a maglock installed and featureless will let you use any pre ban +10 round mags if you had them in your posseion while in ca before jan 1 2000 do research all the answers are there

heres a link to get you started http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=284199

crazyalskn
03-04-2013, 1:41 PM
No, ms feinstain, you cannot own an ar-15!! ;) lol

P.Charm
03-04-2013, 1:48 PM
there is no way to get around a legal mag lock.

don't look into featureless and stop phishing.

Atlantaboi2012
03-04-2013, 2:20 PM
Dont even worry about buying an AR for at least another year. I bought mine a week before Sandy Hook for $1100 and its a 308. That same rifle is worth twice that amount even more if I include the mags and accessories. Although there are ARs available for sale you will pay more. Just get the 1911 and shotgun...if the market settles, then get one..

E Michael
03-04-2013, 2:28 PM
i just moved down here and when i get a job i want to get an ar 15 but the laws here are totally new to me so could some one tell me is there a way to legally acquire an ar-15 without one of those ridiculous magazine locks? even if i can only use a 10 round magazine? if not im gonna buy a pump action shotgun and a 1911.

No...

chead
03-04-2013, 2:35 PM
No...

On the contrary, yes.

heedless619
03-04-2013, 2:56 PM
:Dont even worry about buying an AR for at least another year. I bought mine a week before Sandy Hook for $1100 and its a 308. That same rifle is worth twice that amount even more if I include the mags and accessories. Although there are ARs available for sale you will pay more. Just get the 1911 and shotgun...if the market settles, then get one..

U mean double barrel shotguns? (Joe Biden's voice) :gunsmilie:

E Michael
03-04-2013, 6:42 PM
Sorry I meant no that no one can explain the laws as they make little sense

Sputnik
03-04-2013, 8:58 PM
The CG flow chart helps some... :)

piedmontmang
03-04-2013, 9:02 PM
There is no way to bypass a bullet button if you want a 'cool' looking AR-15. Just get a bullet button AR-15 and use 10/30 magazines to keep the 'cool' factor of the rifle. Otherwise you can get a Mini 14 which has a normal magazine release and has the capability of using 'pre-ban' 30 round magazines.

NorCalXJ
03-04-2013, 9:03 PM
http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

myk
03-04-2013, 10:11 PM
There is no way to bypass a bullet button if you want a 'cool' looking AR-15. Just get a bullet button AR-15 and use 10/30 magazines to keep the 'cool' factor of the rifle. Otherwise you can get a Mini 14 which has a normal magazine release and has the capability of using 'pre-ban' 30 round magazines.

This, and get the "ultimate bullet button tool." As long as you have another 'mag with this installed you won't have to go digging for yet another piece or "tool" when you want to swap 'mags. It's unfortunate but IMO is better than going featureless...

http://www.ubbt.net/

SacTown
03-04-2013, 10:44 PM
Build one like this. I still think it looks "cool". :cool2:

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n609/jbriz15/photo1_zps2d337d74.jpg

imarangemaster
03-05-2013, 12:47 AM
Here's my "featureless" build. I use it as a duty weapon with high capacity magazines.
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg134/imarangemaster/Stag-1_zps26eacbd4.jpg

Chaos47
03-05-2013, 1:06 AM
Check out the link in my sig

delta9
03-05-2013, 7:36 AM
Build one like this. I still think it looks "cool". :cool2:

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n609/jbriz15/photo1_zps2d337d74.jpg

I think that would considered to be a "thumb hole" stock and illegal on that particular rifle

Renaissance Redneck
03-05-2013, 7:50 AM
I think that would considered to be a "thumb hole" stock and illegal on that particular rifle

Really? :facepalm:

BillyGoatMachine
03-05-2013, 8:06 AM

That's because your in San francisco and everything must be illegal right:rolleyes:

That one is GTG:p

Foresight88
03-05-2013, 8:08 AM
As long as it doesn't have a "shoulder thing that goes up" you should be good to go.

Let's get more evil rifles into California!

delta9
03-05-2013, 8:37 AM
That's because your in San francisco and everything must be illegal right:rolleyes:

Exactly what are you implying with that comment?
Are you generalizing that everybody in San Francisco (Calguns members included) are anti-gun? I see that you are form the Lost Coast, so would it be fair to generalize that everybody living there are deadlocked hippies and growing marijuana?

Oceanbob
03-05-2013, 9:09 AM
Are you generalizing that everybody in San Francisco (Calguns members included) are anti-gun? I see that you are form the Lost Coast, so would it be fair to generalize that everybody living there are deadlocked hippies and growing marijuana?

What he meant is 'you're late to the party' and we all know that grip is perfectly legal here in Kalifornistan. :D The San Francisco thing was a joke.

Back on topic:

Apparently the OP declared he is 'new to California' so the idea of building a featureless rifle would be moot, considering he doesn't own preban magazines. And he can't import them from where-ever he came from.

He should just get used to a BULLET BUTTON and be happy and legal.

:D

BillyGoatMachine
03-05-2013, 11:01 AM

Easy there, yes it was a joke:p
And I used to be as sensitive as you were when I joined!
But guess what, your mostly right about the growers and the dreads.

I often fantasize of chloroform/rag/scissors and giving out free haircuts:43:

delta9
03-05-2013, 12:25 PM
Easy there, yes it was a joke:p
And I used to be as sensitive as you were when I joined!
But guess what, your mostly right about the growers and the dreads.

I often fantasize of chloroform/rag/scissors and giving out free haircuts:43:

Ok thanks - I just get tired of all the San Francisco bashing that tends to go on here

BillyGoatMachine
03-05-2013, 1:29 PM
Ok thanks - I just get tired of all the San Francisco bashing that tends to go on here

Why the hell would you???? People bash it here for a reason. It happens to have some of the most retarded laws in the state and I will continue to frown upon the place until that changes. Don't confuse your own pride for living there with people's comments directed towards it's laws. Keep up the fight and bash it yourself to make a change from the inside. Good and bad with where we all live. And you hit the nail on the head with where I live.

kkp
03-05-2013, 2:08 PM
Why the hell would you???? People bash it here for a reason. It happens to have some of the most retarded laws in the state and I will continue to frown upon the place until that changes. Don't confuse your own pride for living there with people's comments directed towards it's laws. Keep up the fight and bash it yourself to make a change from the inside. Good and bad with where we all live. And you hit the nail on the head with where I live.

I suspect the issue is the large numbers of people painting SF and all who live there with a broad brush, as opposed to the precious few who actually take the time to properly phrase their anger as being specifically against the idiotic laws.

MrPlink
03-05-2013, 2:35 PM
:ahem: see my location :p

Mizouse
03-05-2013, 3:15 PM
I work in SF, does that count for anything? :shrug:

sickboy90899
03-05-2013, 7:59 PM
just slap him with your purse or whatever you people carry in san francisco

delta9
03-05-2013, 8:13 PM
just slap him with your purse or whatever you people carry in san francisco

I hope you have something more intelligent to say for your second post

Chaos47
03-05-2013, 10:23 PM
What he meant is 'you're late to the party' and we all know that grip is perfectly legal here in Kalifornistan. :D The San Francisco thing was a joke.

Back on topic:

Apparently the OP declared he is 'new to California' so the idea of building a featureless rifle would be moot, considering he doesn't own preban magazines. And he can't import them from where-ever he came from.

He should just get used to a BULLET BUTTON and be happy and legal.

:D

That's assuming he was never in CA prior to Jan 1st 2000 with them. If he was he can bring them back...

glock7
03-06-2013, 5:21 AM
We can say that about CA. Everyone hates CA. Actually i like SF, i left my heart there once, in San Fraaancisco.......gotta love Tony Bennett. For those of us old enough to remember. lol

Exile Machine
03-06-2013, 5:32 AM

Wrong answer.

The California Department of Justice Bureau of Firearms attests that Hammerhead is not a pistol grip and therefore legal when used on a detachable magazine semiautomatic centerfire rifle with none of the features listed in CA PC 30515(a)(1)(A-F).

[Sworn testimony of Frank Navarro, CA DOJ Bureau of Firearms Special Agent, in the case of People vs. Haack and Haack, California County of Tulare Superior Court, 3 November 2010.]

joewoolley
03-06-2013, 9:46 PM
ok i read over the featureless build guid and i have to say that if the only way i can do it is with one of those butt ugly wannabe pistol grip "things" that some of you posted pictures of, i just wont do it. no offense to the guys that did cause it makes sense but it ruins the look of the gun and in my opinion it looks like it would ruin the ergonomics of the gun. so ill just look into some other rifles but what choices do i really have? ive always thought that minis were too much money for the gun. so if i cant get an ar or an ak and i dont want to pay for a mini 14/30 what choices do i really have? today i was thinkin about glocks then i learned that they can only have a 10 round magazine. im kinda startin to realize that about 90 percent of all the guns i like are just neutered in this state. so im thinkin its gonna be an 870 and a 1911