PDA

View Full Version : off list Pistol legality if shipped within CA??

neomentat
10-10-2007, 7:47 PM
I'm wondering if purchasing an of list Pistol from a private owner in Norcal and having them ship the gun to a FFL dealer in Socal to do the transfer is legal, can someone help me with this?

Q
10-10-2007, 7:49 PM
I think No. You have to be present for a PPT.

aplinker
10-10-2007, 7:50 PM
No, only if it's a private party transfer (both buyer and seller present) would the exemption be allowed for a gun not on the certified list.

Blue
10-10-2007, 7:56 PM
No, only if it's a private party transfer (both buyer and seller present) would the exemption be allowed for a gun not on the certified list.

+1 If it's not on the list the gunshop can't even buy it and resell it to another resident. They'd have to put it on consignment and you wouldn't have your money until the gun left their shelf. If it's not on the list and you want it REALLY BAD make the road trip :D I've done it twice.

bwiese
10-10-2007, 8:00 PM
There is a way to do a dual-FFL PPT - DOJ allows it, nothing nefarious.

It's run as a manual DROS as a "gun show transaction for both FFLs.

User 'mscales5' (mscale5?) is apparently an FFL and wrote about it several months ago, it's probably searchable.
(ETA: just found thread, quoted below, spacing added for clarity):

It is done exactly as a "Gun Show Transaction" when a computer is not available. At a gunshow a seller can do exactly the same thing with a printed DROS form except for the "swipe" but the seller is FTF with the dealer so the dealer can verify that he matches the ID.

If the seller is NOT FTF with FFL transfering then the seller must go to a FFL and have the from done, ID swiped and info printed on the back along with a copy of the ID.

This DROS form is then shipped with the firearm to the transfering dealer who can charge no more then $10 for a PPT unless he does a "add-on" for paperwork or the Safe Handling Demonstration Affidavit. It is still a PPT and limited to that fee. The receiving FFL had to do the same work as a FTF PPT so it shouldn't matter.

<<for non-Rostered handguns>>
Yes, for any listed or non listed or long guns. This first came up when a ATF agent and customer of mine wanted a Colt Detective Special (I believe it was) that was down in way Southern CA and he saw it while doing a investigation (not of firearms but a bombing and fire). He later decided he wanted it but didn't want to drive back down.

I called the DOJ and was told I could use the gun show method as long as the DROS printed form was used and everything was followed as I described above. I personally want a thumb print of the the seller included for my protection. This form and all the required info, which is the same as in a FTF PPT including the signature on the form, is then sent with the firearm to the transfering dealer. Now, the receiving FFL can charge for the exchange of paperwork (sending his FFL) or other add-on charges but the PP transfer can only be charged as $10 and $25 DROS fee. Any dealer can UP-CHARGE a "added fee" but has to list it seperately as other then a DROS or PPT fee. Heck, in Las Vegas I get charged a "Energy fee" for every night I spend in a hotel that is above and beyond the price of the room and other services but it is NEVER disclosed in the cost of the room when you call to make a reservation. Well, a FFL can do the same thing at their discretion.

There you have it from a knowledgeable & competent FFL.

I'd encourage the buyer in such situations to 'help' the FFLs at each end of the transaction above & beyond minimal fees to keep it worthwhile for all parties since this takes extra grief/effort.

SemiAutoSam
10-10-2007, 8:04 PM
It also would depend on the FFL involved that does the DROS.

I have had a FFL state on the DROS that its a PPT when the person that I purchased the firearm from shipped the firearm with a copy of their California Driver License.

SO depending on the FFL it may be very possible.

My Broker is EF Hutton and he said.............Every ear in the office perks up.

Sorry an old TV commercial.

neomentat
10-13-2007, 4:13 PM
There is a way to do a dual-FFL PPT - DOJ allows it, nothing nefarious.

It's run as a manual DROS as a "gun show transaction for both FFLs.

User 'mscales5' (mscale5?) is apparently an FFL and wrote about it several months ago, it's probably searchable.
(ETA: just found thread, quoted below, spacing added for clarity):

There you have it from a knowledgeable & competent FFL.

I'd encourage the buyer in such situations to 'help' the FFLs at each end of the transaction above & beyond minimal fees to keep it worthwhile for all parties since this takes extra grief/effort.

hells ya, thanks alot man for the info