PDA

View Full Version : searching for a decent 9

stfrog
10-09-2007, 7:47 PM
It seems finding a walther p88 for sale in ca. is next to impossible.Is there any thing close to comparible on the market that is on the approved list.

stfrog
10-09-2007, 8:07 PM
Sorry, I am not selling Maybe i posted in the wrong forum I am new to this site.

FatKatMatt
10-09-2007, 8:12 PM
Hi-Power, King of Nines.

aplinker
10-09-2007, 8:18 PM
Sig P210

HK P9S Target

Smith and Wesson PPC 9

:D No, they're not on the approved list...

I'd say a Sig P226 might be the closest thing out there.

stfrog
10-09-2007, 8:28 PM
Just checked out the p210 on gun broker most are c&r eligible++Unfortunately Iam not willing to give up my Left Nut$$$$$$$$

BigDogatPlay
10-09-2007, 9:08 PM
Pretty hard to go wrong with a SiG P226. I have one in .40 and will never trade or sell it. To me they point as naturally as anything else you could find, including a Glock, and they are just about indestructible. There is a reason that the SiG and the HK USP are heavily used by a number of special ops outfits in our military.

Plus they are on the approved roster and widely avaiable.

stfrog
10-09-2007, 9:12 PM
Was just lookin at the 226x5.A little pricey but quality counts for everything.Thanx

Nra-Life-Member
10-09-2007, 9:45 PM
H&K P7M8.. German 9mm like the Walther..

WokMaster1
10-09-2007, 10:16 PM
It seems finding a walther p88 for sale in ca. is next to impossible.Is there any thing close to comparible on the market that is on the approved list.

You are searching for a decent 9mm handgun.
You mentioned the Walther P88.

The P88 is not a decent gun, it is a wonderful gun that also comes with a price tag to match if you can find a used one for sale in California.

Decent 9mm are like Rugers, Smith & Wesson, etc. Better choices are what others have mentioned already Sig 226. You can still find police trade ins for around $375 (no mags) & up. Or a CZ, Glock, XD, Steyr or Kahr. Can't go wrong with any for a decent price & quality.

10-09-2007, 10:41 PM
+1 on a Sig 226

eckerph
10-09-2007, 10:42 PM
Hi-Power, King of Nines.

Take out the magazine disconnect and give it a trigger job and you have one of the best handguns ever designed. If you can find one.

Miltiades
10-10-2007, 3:56 AM
In looking at the specs below, the P88 is a steel/aluminum gun with 4 inch barrel and double stack 9mm magazine. I'd say the closest thing would be a Sig P228.

http://www.carlwalther.com/images/p88-1.jpg

Technical Data - Walther P 88
Date of manufacture 1984 to 1992
Caliber 9mm Para, 9x21mm
System Double action, recoil-operated
Locking Mechanism Tilting barrel (Browning)
Safety Decocking lever
Weight, Empty 31.6 oz (895g)
Length 7.4" (187mm)
Height 5.6" (142mm)
Width 1.5" (38mm)
Barrel Length 4" (102mm)
Rifling 6 grooves
Twist Right hand
Magazine Capacity 15 Cartridges
Material Steel slide/alloy frame
Finish Blued/anodized
Grip Plates Black Plastic

Suvorov
10-10-2007, 8:23 AM
The Beretta 92FS/M9 is a damn good pistol and it will run you a lot less than the Sigs, HKs, ect. that everyone else has been mentioning.

I know that it isn't the flavor of the month anymore and everybody has a cousin's girlfriend's brother who had a slide fall off, but if it fits your hand - I'm sure you will be happy with it.

erblo
10-10-2007, 10:39 AM
what about a Sig 225/P6? I picked one up at Turners for $399, nice pistol, especially for the price. You can get them cheaper online too.

rivviepop
10-10-2007, 11:27 AM
If you enjoy the decocker on the P88 then a CZ P-01 is virtually the same barrel, size, shape and weight with the same features (decocker, double stack, steel/light alloy mix, browning action, etc.).

http://czusa.com/product_detail.php?id=28

http://czusa.com/data/productimg/main028.png

Suvorov
10-10-2007, 11:56 AM
what about a Sig 225/P6? I picked one up at Turners for $399, nice pistol, especially for the price. You can get them cheaper online too.

Damn, at that price I may just have to look for one. In the age of 10 rnd magazines, the P225 seems like a perfect gun. :)

eckerph
10-10-2007, 12:26 PM
The p225 ain't badfor the price, I paid $369.00 for mine at AIM surplus last year. The pistol had allot of finish wear on the slide but everything else was in excellent condition. I bought a sig rebuild kit for it and sprayed it with matt black duracoat. The pistol looks brand new. The trigger is very heavy in DA mode though.

Stormfeather
10-10-2007, 12:54 PM
There is a reason that the SiG and the HK USP are heavily used by a number of special ops outfits in our military.

Really? And just what "special ops" outfits are those? I know Seal Team 1 in Coronado uses sigs, but standard TE isnt a Sig. Marine Corps Det-1 uses 1911's of custom build (yes kimber frames) Army Rangers still use m-9, Delta guys still seem to have a tendency to 1911 frames. And the Air Farce PJ's (friendly inter-service prod here, One of my best friends has been a pj fpr 12 years!)use the m-9 as well. And as far as I know, No unit ( unless its one of those hollywood specialized tv spec ops ones) fields the USP. Maybe you could help me out with this, which special ops unit was that?

Suvorov
10-10-2007, 12:58 PM
The p225 ain't badfor the price, I paid $369.00 for mine at AIM surplus last year. The pistol had allot of finish wear on the slide but everything else was in excellent condition. I bought a sig rebuild kit for it and sprayed it with matt black duracoat. The pistol looks brand new. The trigger is very heavy in DA mode though.

Not the slick DA trigger like the P228 has? Hmmm, too bad.:(

Stormfeather
10-10-2007, 12:59 PM
The Beretta 92FS/M9 is a damn good pistol and it will run you a lot less than the Sigs, HKs, ect. that everyone else has been mentioning.

I know that it isn't the flavor of the month anymore and everybody has a cousin's girlfriend's brother who had a slide fall off, but if it fits your hand - I'm sure you will be happy with it.

Actually, the m-9 Beretta isnt my favorite. the slide issues was back in the late 80's and that was only one production run which used inferior metals that caused the slide to crack. Now, if I could just get used to the sights on a beretta, I can shoot it very well. I just dont like the sights. It has a huge sight radious, which is great for grouping shots, I just cant shoot it comfortably. My hand is too small to comfortably accuate (sp?) all the controls on it. Still, a good gun overall, but give me a Sig over beretta anyday!

aplinker
10-10-2007, 1:33 PM
Really? And just what "special ops" outfits are those? I know Seal Team 1 in Coronado uses sigs, but standard TE isnt a Sig. Marine Corps Det-1 uses 1911's of custom build (yes kimber frames) Army Rangers still use m-9, Delta guys still seem to have a tendency to 1911 frames. And the Air Farce PJ's (friendly inter-service prod here, One of my best friends has been a pj fpr 12 years!)use the m-9 as well. And as far as I know, No unit ( unless its one of those hollywood specialized tv spec ops ones) fields the USP. Maybe you could help me out with this, which special ops unit was that?

ha ha

I don't know of any portion of our military that uses the USP. I suppose the Mk23 is out there somewhere, but I get the feeling it's not fielded that much (why would anyone want that monster hand cannon as a back-up firearm).

I don't think, for the purpose of the OP, the USP is a good choice anyways. He asked about the P88, which is metal framed.

If you want an accurate, reliable, double stack 9, I'd go with a Sig. However, the Beretta, Hi-Power and CZ are good choices, too.

Suvorov
10-10-2007, 1:36 PM
Actually, the m-9 Beretta isnt my favorite. the slide issues was back in the late 80's and that was only one production run which used inferior metals that caused the slide to crack. Now, if I could just get used to the sights on a beretta, I can shoot it very well. I just dont like the sights. It has a huge sight radious, which is great for grouping shots, I just cant shoot it comfortably. My hand is too small to comfortably accuate (sp?) all the controls on it. Still, a good gun overall, but give me a Sig over beretta anyday!

To me the slide failures and block failures are also a non-issue. The big reason I fell for the M-9 is that as a tanker for 11 years, it was one of the tools of my trade. Also, because I would compete in inter-service matches and the like, I decided that I have better just swallow the pill and accept that the M-9 and I were going to be partners for quite a long time (prior to that I was a High Power devote). I have learned to shoot it reasonably well, know its strengths and its weaknesses. I have to admit that it's biggest weakness is its size, but I have large enough hands it isn't anything more than an inconvenience. Although along the way I have picked up a couple Sigs, 1911s, and even an HK, my main gun has remained the M9. As a civilian now, I can choose to shoot anything I want, but tens of thousands of rounds through the M9 has made me far more comfortable with it than any other pistol. Of course, soon I will be carrying a USP at work, so I may have to become one with another gun.

Where all my babbling is going is this, I won't say the M9 is the greatest gun in the world (there really is no greatest pistol - not even the 1911), but it is a good gun that I do not hesitate to recommend to those who can fit it in their hand. Since you are a private contractor now, you have your choice of sidearms and the Sig is a damn fine choice too (although I hope you are never in a situation where you have to rely solely on your handgun), civilians on the board have a broad choice of what they can buy. I just want to be the voice that sticks up for a good pistol where it seems that many people overlook it due to all the negative media hype they hear about it.

Stay Safe

Suvorov
10-10-2007, 1:44 PM
ha ha

I don't know of any portion of our military that uses the USP. I suppose the Mk23 is out there somewhere, but I get the feeling it's not fielded that much (why would anyone want that monster hand cannon as a back-up firearm).

I don't think, for the purpose of the OP, the USP is a good choice anyways. He asked about the P88, which is metal framed.

If you want an accurate, reliable, double stack 9, I'd go with a Sig. However, the Beretta, Hi-Power and CZ are good choices, too.

What I understand about the Mk23 is that it is basically a special use weapon, for when size is an issue, but more offensive firepower is needed than what a typical handgun can deliver. I don't think it was ever intended to be a defensive sidearm? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, weren't these P88s super high dollar back in the 90s? Do they have a Browning lockup or are they a falling block like the P38 and M92?

thomasanelson
10-10-2007, 1:47 PM
I could be wrong, as I have been in the past, but I read that the M9, M11, 226 and all 1911's are all considered PDW as opposed to the MK23 which is considered an offensive weapon. Anyone???

By the way, I have a Springfield XD9 for sale if interested. Excellent 9mm.:43:

eckerph
10-10-2007, 3:27 PM
(there really is no greatest pistol - not even the 1911)

Them is fightin words!

stfrog
10-10-2007, 3:40 PM
Has anyone heard anything on the new ruger sr9.

Jeffy
10-10-2007, 4:40 PM

I suggest getting a Wolff Hammer Spring pack. It will make the DA a bit lighter.

ibanezfoo
10-12-2007, 9:00 PM
Yo homie, you be needin the Glock 9 yo

:laugh:

-Bryan