PDA

View Full Version : Muzzle Brake

LAKings22
03-02-2013, 12:17 AM
I decided to ditch the A2 flash hider and looking to upgrade to a muzzle brake. I've been eyeing the battle comp 1.0 and read a lot of positive reviews on it. Before paying $150+, I wanted to ask you guys if there is any other muzzle brake I should look into before buying the battle comp. This AR will be used for shooting paper at the range and maybe some entry level competition shooting in the future (hopefully)

Unrelated cosmetic question: Black AFG foregrip mounted on a FDE MOE hand guard or FDE foregrip on a FDE handguard?

Thanks ahead of time.

badfish71
03-02-2013, 12:21 AM
Spikes Dynacomp .. I have a couple. They work just as good as my battle comps, and around $90.

S470FM
03-02-2013, 12:43 AM
I'm impartial to PWS FSC 556--awesome

2zero9
03-02-2013, 1:03 AM
Bcm comp mod 1

LAKings22
03-02-2013, 7:51 AM
I found couple of decent videos comparing the spikes and battlecomp. I might end up running one of each on my AR's

Is there any difference between the 1.5 or 1.0 other then the 1.5 bringing the 14.5" barrels to the legal 16"?

tpat663
03-02-2013, 8:51 AM
Check out Griffin Armament their Tactical Comp did better than the battlecomp in some reviews. They are priced well too at around 85.00.

chad allred
03-02-2013, 8:57 AM
I love my battlecomp... I think mine is a 2.0 though...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

wsmc27
03-02-2013, 10:22 AM
I decided to ditch the A2 flash hider and looking to upgrade to a muzzle brake. I've been eyeing the battle comp 1.0 and read a lot of positive reviews on it. Before paying $150+, I wanted to ask you guys if there is any other muzzle brake I should look into before buying the battle comp. This AR will be used for shooting paper at the range and maybe some entry level competition shooting in the future (hopefully)

Unrelated cosmetic question: Black AFG foregrip mounted on a FDE MOE hand guard or FDE foregrip on a FDE handguard?

Thanks ahead of time.

FDE on FDE. The way to go. ;)

Lot's of brake info at:
https://sites.google.com/site/featurelessrifleguide/muzzle-devices
That is a page put together by CG member Chaos47 (great work) geared toward featureless, but a great one page place to look at a number of brakes.

On our second featureless assembly last year, we went to the local SD shop Parallax Tactical and bought their Gen2 brake (shown on that link). Seems to work very well (though I have only used 1 other brake and standard A2 fh on other AR's). $60 iirc, and Joe popped it on my upper at time of purchase, good guys with fine service there imo.

hth, enjoy your AR! :)

AC89
03-02-2013, 10:44 AM
I love my Rainier Arms XTC works well and sounds good. I also have a PWS FSC556 but have yet to shoot it due to a problem finding a BCG, but have heard great things about it.

supermoto917
03-03-2013, 5:12 PM
Battlecomp goes for a good coin for a good reason. Been running one on my main carbine for 2 years now.

superj
04-20-2013, 5:44 PM
New to building ARs, so i apologize for asking a noob question. Are "comps" the same as muzzle brakes or are they considered flash suppressors?

the_t0ny
04-20-2013, 7:12 PM
I have a PWS FSC 556 on mine. Another one to check out is a rainier arms xtc.

Specific Pacific
04-20-2013, 7:48 PM
The PWS is loud as hell and those sitting laterally from you will hate you.

I've always used the Smith Vortex ($65) or the Surefire MB556 ($150).

CRTguns
04-20-2013, 10:07 PM
The tests have shown the most effective brake to be a tossup between the TTI and the Surefire. Surefire can...umm... connect to "friend"

The new Bravo Co and the Daniel are very good... and match A2 birdcage dimensions. There was a test published some years back by USPSA... the PWS failed dead last for effect.

Battle comp... on a short barrel (16" total) it's good. Adding it to the end of an 18 "20" its hard to notice. Seems like it needs a lot of pressure to reach its operating potential. It does however offer less back back-blast than the others, although its a tradeoff for less recoil mitigation.

For the cheap and fast inside track... Model 1 makes a knock-off TTI for like... $40. It's ridiculously good. It's not pretty, but your rifle stays absolutely motionless.

Josh3239
04-20-2013, 10:12 PM
Battlecomp is amazing and minimal muzzle blast to the shooter and people around them. I am gonna try the Griffin next.

chead
04-20-2013, 10:15 PM
I have a Dynacomp on my AK and a PWS FSC556 on my AR, and they both work great. The PWS has less flash and I think the Dynacomp feels "flatter" but that might be a function of the different rifles and ammo.

Nicoman
04-21-2013, 12:06 AM
I've got the battlecomp on my AR, I vote for black AFG on FDE handguard it can look just like mine

blurry but you get the idea
http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/2081/0123031501.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/838/0123031501.jpg/)

morfeeis
04-21-2013, 1:33 AM
For the cheap and fast inside track... Model 1 makes a knock-off TTI for like... $40. It's ridiculously good. It's not pretty, but your rifle stays absolutely motionless.

are you talking about their steel threaded brake or the one that just says threaded?
http://www.model1sales.com/images/products/muzzleb.gif
http://www.model1sales.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=407

postal
04-21-2013, 5:10 PM
New to building ARs, so i apologize for asking a noob question. Are "comps" the same as muzzle brakes or are they considered flash suppressors?

"comp" = muzzle brake. Same thing.

I just recieved a brake from Schuler. Well made, well designed, and hard to beat the price.

Cant recommend them enough.

superj
04-21-2013, 6:43 PM
"comp" = muzzle brake. Same thing.

I just recieved a brake from Schuler. Well made, well designed, and hard to beat the price.

Cant recommend them enough.
Yeah I did some research last night and found that the are similar. I am trying to build an AR and am thinking of going featureless to avoid the bullet button. I was thinking of going with a battlecomp 1.0 or the Griffin M4SDII. Ill have to check the Schuler brake. Thanks for the help and recommendations!

Darklyte27
04-21-2013, 7:22 PM
I have a spikes dyna on my pin welded spikes upper its pretty nice.
Also some griffin armament ones are nice too and great bang for the buck.

M3thodBombZ
04-21-2013, 9:20 PM
What are you trying to accomplish with this piece of equipment? Good flash reduction with good recoil management? Will you be doing a lot of drills with partners per say? A battle comp or BCM comp will work best for those applications so you're not putting out a lot of muzzle blast when working with other shooters and you also got that good flash reduction.

Or are you trying to maximize recoil reduction? In this case you'd want a PWS brake or the surefire mb556k. These brakes are excellent in reducing about 90% of muzzle flip, but you got ALOT of muzzle blast bursting out the sides. Not the best idea in CQB environments or if you're doing a lot of drills while shooting with a partner. My brothers hate me for this reason. Speed and accuracy are most important to me so that's why I went with the surefire. It comes down to what you would like to accomplish with this piece of equipment

donnrcp
04-21-2013, 9:33 PM
http://s86.photobucket.com/user/donnrcp/media/100_1376_zps0b833e47.mp4.htmlBattlecomp 1.0