PDA

View Full Version : any LEGAL way to get a P64 in CA??

JPglee1
10-09-2007, 11:28 AM
Is there ANY *LEGAL* way to acquire and register/own a Polish P-64 pistol in California???

http://www.powellmachine.com/images/P64%202.jpg

I would just LOVE to have a P64... I have it in writing that it is *OK* to shorten an existing drop-test approved pistol so if there is no way to get a P64 then I suppose a person could lop 1/2"-3/4" off their Makarov barrel, section the slide and then shorten the grip/frame/magazine 1 round in capacity to approximate the P64... but the real thing would be a lot cooler.

Anyone??? Bueller???

J

bwiese
10-09-2007, 12:21 PM
JPGlee,

Since you are the master of framing hammer gunsmithing I ;) I suggest 'hammering out' an appropriate 22Short barrel without feedramps, which is 6" long at minimum and which also makes the gun 10.5" long (when measured parallel to bore). Put a really stiff action spring in and put a filler mag in (wood, plastic, etc.) and lock down the mag catch.

You now have an exempt single-shot pistol as per 12133PC. The out-of-state seller should make these changes before shipping the gun into CA to your friendly FFL.

There simply is zero expressed or inferrable requirement in 12125 - 12133PC 'unsafe handgun' laws that state the single-action revolver or single-shot status of a handgun is permanent, and there's no codification of 'original design intent must be left unchanged', etc.

Such handguns are exempt from Rostering & drop testing purely if they are dimensionally compliant and are single-shot or single action revolver (5 rounds or more).

bohoki
10-09-2007, 3:56 PM
i assume you could move to another state long enough to obtain residency buy one then move back and submit a voluntary registration form as you are legally required to do when moving into the state with handguns

thefinger
10-09-2007, 4:02 PM
Can't you have an LEO friend buy one and then do a ppt to you?

Rumpled
10-09-2007, 5:18 PM
1 Wait a handful of years or so (50 + years from manuf)
2 PPT in CA
3 Try Bwiese's idea
4 Find someone moving to CA with an extra (=#2)

KenpoProfessor
10-09-2007, 5:26 PM
Hey JP, are those decent guns? There's one sitting in the pawn shop across the road for cheap. BTW, JG Sales has the PA63 on sale for $99. http://www.jgsales.com/index.php/c/handguns/cPath/16

Oh yea, good to hear from you again!!!

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde