PDA

View Full Version : My 1st Featureless build [added extended mag release]

SacTown
03-01-2013, 1:35 PM
**EDIT** Updated Pics on Post 41

I installed a Manticore Arms EMBR (Extended Magazine Button Release).

__________________________________________________ _________

I finally finished my second AR. This is my first, but definitely not last, featureless build. I feel like featureless rifles are the middle finger to unconstitutional gun laws and I'm happy to own one. :D

Specs:

PSA 16" Mid-length upper
Spikes Tactical Dynacomp Extreme
BCM BCG
Aimpoint PRO
Troy BUIS
Rainier Arms Raptor CH
Spikes Tactical Lower
PSA LPK
CMMG Ambi Safety Selector
PSA Buffer/Tube/M4 Stock (pinned via roll pin through buffer tube)
Exile Machine Hammerhead Grip

Here are some not so professional pics with my iPhone.

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n609/jbriz15/photo1_zps2d337d74.jpg

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n609/jbriz15/photo4_zpsd7d147c1.jpg

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n609/jbriz15/photo3_zpsa99e276e.jpg

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n609/jbriz15/photo5_zps8286f32d.jpg

Euphoria526
03-01-2013, 1:44 PM
That looks real nice!!
How do you like that hammerhead grip?

SacTown
03-01-2013, 2:02 PM
That looks real nice!!
How do you like that hammerhead grip?

Thanks! The grip is nice because you can still wrap your thumb up and over it, or you can use the traditional featureless style grip like with the fin grips.

CenCalHobbist
03-01-2013, 2:05 PM
I would remove the bayonet lug if i were you.

(Sorry, I'm wrong. Its not an evil feature. I don't need to be told again. Five times is enough.)

SacTown
03-01-2013, 2:06 PM

The bayonet lug is not an "evil feature" AFAIK

Gio
03-01-2013, 2:07 PM

Zip it! No need to remove it :facepalm:

TZL
03-01-2013, 2:08 PM
Congrats... once you go featureless, you never go back :D

Jyruiz
03-01-2013, 2:09 PM
Looks good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrPlink
03-01-2013, 2:20 PM
Nice set up! Ive been considering the dynacomp as a cheaper (and featureless legal) alternative to a battlecomp

The bayonet lug is not an "evil feature" AFAIK

definitely not an evil feature, bayo lugs were a feature in the expired Federal ban however. Drive by bayoneting was at all time high in the late 80s and early 90s so it was a law that made sense :oji:

For those confused (since we have so many new members these days)

The evil features are
-Flash hider-
-Pistol or thumbhole grip
-Collapsing or folding stock
-Forward pistol grip (vertical fore grip)
-Flare or grenade launcher

none of these features ='s no magazine lock and the ability use mags that are over 10rds

edgerly779
03-01-2013, 2:24 PM
Are you sure it is featureless it has collapsible stock and bayonet lug?

JonL87
03-01-2013, 2:25 PM
still has a collapsing stock so how it featureless?im missing something?

WW2Buff
03-01-2013, 2:26 PM

Pinned...

TZL
03-01-2013, 2:26 PM
his stock is pinned

russt
03-01-2013, 2:31 PM
This is comical! Us cal gunners can't even agree what's legal!! Lol!!! :D

pdq_wizzard
03-01-2013, 2:57 PM
that Spikes Tactical Dynacomp Extreme looks bad *** !

mshill
03-01-2013, 3:09 PM
Congrats... once you go featureless, you never go back :D

Not quite true. My son was originally featureless (with hammerhead and pinned stock) but when he arrived at his new apartment in Rexburg, ID the first thing he did was put his grip on his rifle and took the BB off of his bothers (also at school there).

But I know what you mean. I love my featureless with frs-15 stock.

wsmc27
03-01-2013, 3:35 PM
Very nice, congrats. 66% of our AR's are featureless! Way ta go! :)

That PSA middy should shoot great, I know our 2012 assemby does.

Needs a sling (I've been on a "needs a sling" campaign in 2013 haha). :D

SacTown
03-01-2013, 5:12 PM

The stock is pinned with a small roll pin through the buffer tube. It's nearly impossible to see in those pictures but believe me, it's there. ;)

Again, the bayonet lug is not an "evil feature".

I'm breaking her in this Sunday. Dropping mags for the first time should be like a breath of fresh air.

pdq_wizzard
03-01-2013, 6:15 PM
The stock is pinned with a small roll pin through the buffer tube. It's nearly impossible to see in those pictures but believe me, it's there. ;)

Again, the bayonet lug is not an "evil feature".

I'm breaking her in this Sunday. Dropping mags for the first time should be like a breath of fresh air.

You going to be at sac val?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

SacTown
03-01-2013, 6:51 PM
You going to be at sac val?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Yes sir! Me, my brother and a friend are going. They both just finished building their first AR's so we are all breaking in our new toys. :D

Tomorrow should be pretty fun too. Going to be at the Beer festival at Cal Expo. Ahh, beer on Saturday and guns on Sunday. That's how every weekend should be.

ChuckW
03-01-2013, 7:28 PM
I gotta retire out of this stupid state. Half the threads are about staying legal. Go to a site like Arizona Shooters and they're talking about shooting.

Enfield47
03-01-2013, 8:39 PM
Very nice job! Can you store things in the Hammerhead grip (spare bolt or batteries for your optic)?

pdq_wizzard
03-01-2013, 8:44 PM
Yes sir! Me, my brother and a friend are going. They both just finished building their first AR's so we are all breaking in our new toys. :D

Tomorrow should be pretty fun too. Going to be at the Beer festival at Cal Expo. Ahh, beer on Saturday and guns on Sunday. That's how every weekend should be.

well if I make it out on Sunday and see you there I would like to hold that gun and see how it feels, (I know ammo is $$$ and I don't do factory only reloads and would never ask to shoot it) but would love to see how it handles.

SacTown
03-01-2013, 8:52 PM
well if I make it out on Sunday and see you there I would like to hold that gun and see how it feels, (I know ammo is $$$ and I don't do factory only reloads and would never ask to shoot it) but would love to see how it handles.

If you happen to see me out there and want to shoot it just let me know. We are probably going to be there around 9ish til whenever.

SacTown
03-01-2013, 8:54 PM
Very nice job! Can you store things in the Hammerhead grip (spare bolt or batteries for your optic)?

You can probably fit a bolt in the larger hole that is intended for a buffer tube, although the end caps that came with it seem like they might pop out with something inside banging against the cap. I did see what looked like threaded metal end caps on another thread? Not really sure, maybe someone else can chime in on that. I know Exile Machine is usually lurking about.

CenCalHobbist
03-01-2013, 8:58 PM
In sorry I created a firestorm. I was just trying to lookout for a fellow enthusiast. I guess I just got confused with all of the laws in our crazy state.

SacTown
03-01-2013, 9:00 PM
In sorry I created a firestorm. I was just trying to lookout for a fellow enthusiast. I guess I just got confused with all of the laws in our crazy state.

Haha. No worries! California gun laws are very confusing sometimes and most of the time don't make any sense at all. I knew practically nothing about CA gun laws until I started reading threads on here. Lot's of great info if you spend the time searching and reading.

Bobby Ricigliano
03-01-2013, 9:04 PM

I would stop posting FUD if I were you.

Bobby Ricigliano
03-01-2013, 9:06 PM
I finally finished my second AR. This is my first, but definitely not last, featureless build. I feel like featureless rifles are the middle finger to unconstitutional gun laws and I'm happy to own one. :D

Specs:

PSA 16" Mid-length upper
Spikes Tactical Dynacomp Extreme
BCM BCG
Aimpoint PRO
Troy BUIS
Rainier Arms Raptor CH
Spikes Tactical Lower
PSA LPK
CMMG Ambi Safety Selector
PSA Buffer/Tube/M4 Stock (pinned via roll pin through buffer tube)
Exile Machine Hammerhead Grip

Here are some not so professional pics with my iPhone.

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n609/jbriz15/photo1_zps2d337d74.jpg

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n609/jbriz15/photo4_zpsd7d147c1.jpg

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n609/jbriz15/photo3_zpsa99e276e.jpg

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n609/jbriz15/photo5_zps8286f32d.jpg

Besides all the quality parts you assembled this rifle with, it clearly also has a lot of WIN in it. Now go drop those mags with the finger and toss the tool!

rockstar
03-01-2013, 11:13 PM
why aren't more featureless ones being sold? I prefer them to the BB rifles. Nice job. it looks like a select fire ambi lower. what brand lower did you use?

SacTown
03-01-2013, 11:53 PM
why aren't more featureless ones being sold? I prefer them to the BB rifles. Nice job. it looks like a select fire ambi lower. what brand lower did you use?

Select fire lowers have an additional pin that sits right above the safety selector. This is a traditional AR15 (non select fire) lower made roll stamped by Spikes Tactical.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
03-01-2013, 11:55 PM
why aren't more featureless ones being sold? I prefer them to the BB rifles.

I'd suspect that the featureless configuration is outside the comfort level of most retailers. Given the confusion in this thread alone, that's not surprising.

chozenfew805
03-02-2013, 12:23 AM
:thumbsup:

SacTown
03-02-2013, 6:05 PM
I'd suspect that the featureless configuration is outside the comfort level of most retailers. Given the confusion in this thread alone, that's not surprising.

Definitely this. I've had conversations with retail shops where they looked at possession of "hi-capacity" magazines a felony. Same thing for SSE (single shot exemptions).

rockstar
03-02-2013, 10:26 PM
Definitely this. I've had conversations with retail shops where they looked at possession of "hi-capacity" magazines a felony. Same thing for SSE (single shot exemptions).

I guess there is too much misinformation is out there. It is good to have a site such as this to keep myself educated.

Chaos47
03-02-2013, 11:09 PM
Looks great!

Wow, some of you need to read up on featureless builds:
https://sites.google.com/site/featurelessrifleguide/

tonelar
03-03-2013, 7:45 AM
Half of mine are featureless... Congrats.

glock7
03-04-2013, 5:17 AM
you have inspired me to do a featureless. looks very good! enjoy.

sallen67
03-04-2013, 5:28 AM
Could you post a pic with the rifle shouldered. I'm having a hard time picturing this being used and the position of your hands. Maybe it's just the angle, and I haven't seen one before. Just curious about feel and function of the rifles.

Thanks,

Scott

Exile Machine
03-04-2013, 5:31 AM
Could you post a pic with the rifle shouldered.

Hi Scott, it's not this particular rifle but here is a link with a bunch of photos showing shooters shouldering and firing Hammerhead-equipped rifles:

https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/pages/handling-7.html

SacTown
03-19-2013, 11:13 AM
Installed the Manticore Arms EMBR (Extended Magazine Button Release). It works great. Dropped 50 mags for testing and it worked flawlessly. Only time will tell if the polymer/plastic extension will break or not. Even if it does snap, the part that the polymer extension is attached to is metal and can still be used as a normal mag release button. If there is any flaw I see with the EMBR is that it sits pretty far off from the lower and might grab/snap on gear or a sling. Again only time will tell.

Pics

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n609/jbriz15/photo7_zps0dca5d81.jpg

You can see how much easier it is to reach while still being able to wrap my thumb around the Hammerhead grip.

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n609/jbriz15/photo8_zps8df5ecbe.jpg

stag6.8
03-19-2013, 1:02 PM
wow way cool....may I suggest you also purchase a magpul bad lever and a magpul trigger guard. It will help with the operation of your rifle.

SacTown
03-19-2013, 10:23 PM
wow way cool....may I suggest you also purchase a magpul bad lever and a magpul trigger guard. It will help with the operation of your rifle.

I have the magpul bad lever on a non-featureless build. I like it but don't think it is necessary. My plans are to keep my featureless as simple as possible. As far as the magpul trigger guard goes, I'm not sure how it would help with the operation of the weapon. Thanks for the suggestions, though.

carval23
03-22-2013, 8:51 AM
New to this featureless stuff so bear with me as I am going to start my own project as well. Is a Magpul AFG2 considered a vertical grip?
Nice set up! Ive been considering the dynacomp as a cheaper (and featureless legal) alternative to a battlecomp

definitely not an evil feature, bayo lugs were a feature in the expired Federal ban however. Drive by bayoneting was at all time high in the late 80s and early 90s so it was a law that made sense :oji:

For those confused (since we have so many new members these days)

The evil features are
-Flash hider-
-Pistol or thumbhole grip
-Collapsing or folding stock
-Forward pistol grip (vertical fore grip)
-Flare or grenade launcher

none of these features ='s no magazine lock and the ability use mags that are over 10rds

CenCalHobbist
03-22-2013, 12:08 PM
New to this featureless stuff so bear with me as I am going to start my own project as well. Is a Magpul AFG2 considered a vertical grip?

Check out this sight made by a fellow CalGunner. https://sites.google.com/site/featurelessrifleguide/home

stag6.8
03-28-2013, 4:49 PM
I have the magpul bad lever on a non-featureless build. I like it but don't think it is necessary. My plans are to keep my featureless as simple as possible. As far as the magpul trigger guard goes, I'm not sure how it would help with the operation of the weapon. Thanks for the suggestions, though.

If you shoot with any types of gloves...the larger trigger guard makes a big difference...more room