PDA

View Full Version : How to gain permission on private land

xYourLocalAR15x
10-08-2007, 10:29 PM
While working my new contract job I met a nice fellow who mentioned his hunting spot and said all I have to do is ask one of the workers out there if they can ask the owner for permission to hunt. My question is this... The area is roughly 3 hours away...

What I would like to know is how to go about asking for permission. What wording should I use? "hello, my name is Robert... I was wondering if you had any boar/turkey or deer problems around here. If so I'd be more than willing to remove them for you free of charge"? something to that effect?

Any tips would be great. Hopefully I can hurry up and choose my rifle before next month smile.gif Or I'll have to go hog hunting with an M1a

hybridatsun350
10-09-2007, 5:43 AM
Just be polite and friendly. There is no specific thing you need to say. If your nice and he isn't bothered by hunting than he wont be bothered by you hunting! Also, there is nothing wrong with hunting hogs with an M1A! haha

Vigilante
10-09-2007, 5:23 PM
What wording should I use? "hello, my name is Robert... I was wondering if you had any boar/turkey or deer problems around here. If so I'd be more than willing to remove them for you free of charge"? something to that effect?

Asking if the rancher has any "problems" with these animals seems like a strange question, and I wouldn't recommend asking him like that. I'd just ask whether or not you can hunt on his property. Be straightforward.

wildcard
10-09-2007, 6:03 PM
Hehe. The people that own the property aren't stupid. They know what they have on their land and that it is sought after by hunters. Just be polite and straightforward. Don't forget to give them part of your harvest :)

Harbinger
10-09-2007, 6:12 PM
Don't forget to leave EVERYTHING as it was (i.e. fence open or closed) and treat all of the farmer's livestock and irrigation systems like they're made out of gold. One errant round can literally cost them THOUSANDS of dollars.

Oh, and make sure you look presentable if you ask them in person. :p

Mike

CavTrooper
10-10-2007, 4:25 AM
1- do not show up in cammies with a rifle over your shoulder asking to hunt... bad first impression.

2- offer to help out, fix fences, bale hay, shovel poop, whatever they need help with.

3- if its hogs youre after, take pics after the kill and let the landowner know or see what you kill. Hogs do damage to property and landowners dont like them.

4- close gates! always!

5- go alone. unless given permission, never take anyone with you.

6- follow the rules. if you have permission for hogs, stay away during deer season, etc.

7- dont drive off trails or roads on the property. tearing up the land is a sure way to get the boot.

8- its not a bribe, its a gift!

Just a few of the rules Ive learned in my short time trying to accquire private land to hunt. Ive been fairly succsesful in that Ive gained about 50,000+ acres of private land in 3 states.
Good luck!

skywlkr
10-10-2007, 8:32 AM
Ask the owner of the land if he has any work he would be willing to let you do, then tell him all you want in compensation is access to hunt on his land. Worked for me and the land owner thought he was getting better end of the deal.

MadMex
10-10-2007, 4:25 PM
Ask the owner of the land if he has any work he would be willing to let you do, then tell him all you want in compensation is access to hunt on his land. Worked for me and the land owner thought he was getting better end of the deal.
+1

Iíve always had the best success when Iíve earned the access.

Another +1 to meeting in person (offer to buy lunch) and not showing up as CamoKing or the ultimate Fuddzilla.

RANGER295
10-17-2007, 9:16 PM
I would eco what everyone else has said and add that you should always have some kind of permission form with you. I always carry one because you never know when you will come across an opportunity. I have written permission for thousands of acres including semi-exclusive pig hunting rights on 800 to 1,000 acres in the San Luis Obispo area and exclusive deer hunting rights on some private property in X-7b. Now all I need to do is draw tags for that zone. The forms I keep in my truck have both my name and the name of my hunting buddy on them so that I we can always go together. There is a place on the form for restrictions so some of them say that he has to be with me butÖ just a couple of other thoughts.