PDA

View Full Version : A gun my wife will shoot

joebowlin
10-08-2007, 8:40 PM
I've been looking at some guns for my wife to shoot. I want to get a couple 22 pistols. Check out the ultimate chick gun:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=81998408

joebowlin
10-08-2007, 8:43 PM
But, it's not on the safe gun roster :chris:

Corbin Dallas
10-08-2007, 9:09 PM
If you're looking for a good 22 to start with, the Sig Mosquito is probably going to top your list.

Just noticed your in Sac. I would recommend a range trip for her to evaulate some 22's.

Kelvrick
10-08-2007, 9:38 PM
The Mosquito seems to be more hit and miss then most though. I'd have to recommend the browning buckmark or ruger mark II or III.

Don't forget the good ole 6 shots such as the bearcat as well.

Oh, and the girls also like the 22 rifles in my experience.

joebowlin
10-08-2007, 10:02 PM
we are trying to get something under $300. There is a smith and wesson 22 for about $250. I'll look into the ones mentioned right now...

Slowshooter
10-08-2007, 10:03 PM
The Mosquito seems to be more hit and miss then most though. I'd have to recommend the browning buckmark or ruger mark II or III.

+1. Had several people give up on Mosquito. Would have been better off with other two or Walther P22

joebowlin
10-08-2007, 10:12 PM
The Ruger Mark III on gunbroker can be had for about $250 w/ a 5 1/2" barrel. Not bad. Kinda funny looking, but a good price.

Anyone have the S&W 22A ?

762cavalier
10-08-2007, 10:17 PM
If your wife is like mine (small stature, small hands) you should probably go with the Smith. We have a browning buckmark,which my wife likes to shoot, the only problem is she just can't rack the slide. A revolver would be the perfect thing.

joebowlin
10-08-2007, 10:22 PM
If your wife is like mine (small stature, small hands) you should probably go with the Smith. We have a browning buckmark,which my wife likes to shoot, the only problem is she just can't rack the slide. A revolver would be the perfect thing.

Just like yours. The smith is pretty small? I've been trying to do price shopping online, but nothing takes the place of holding them and figuring out which one is right.

GlockOn
10-08-2007, 10:44 PM
From what I've heard from my customers, the Sig Mosquito is prone to being very picky about what ammo it likes to shoot, but I don't know that first hand. I would recommend the Ruger Mark II or III. However, my number one recommendation is the Browning Buckmark. Everyone in my family has one. If you leave it stock you can shoot any kind of ammo out of it, however I recommend the Federal 550 box or the Aguila Super Extra. Both of those are affordable and offer quality. Whatever you do avoid the Remington Green box at all costs!! That stuff is junk in .22 cal, I don't know why, but it's prone to jamming and misfires. The cool thing about the Buckmark is that it has a lot of after-market stuff available. There's a company called Tactical Solutions that makes barrels in almost every color imaginable. So if you wife really liked the gun you could get her a pink or purple anodized barrel. These barrels look cool and lighten the gun up even more. With .22 you don't really have to worry about recoil, so you can make it as light as you want. The benefit to the Buckmark is a better price over the Ruger, also if you decide to upgrade, you could have the Buckmark barrel shipped directly to your house, whereas with the Ruger, you are basically buying a whole new upper which requires a DROS and a 10 day wait... If it was me, I'd go Buckmark all the way. I don't think with the proper technique the Buckmark would be too hard to rack, especially after it's broken in. Good luck and congrats on getting your wife into shooting.

psriley
10-09-2007, 12:18 AM
Look at a Smith 617. They are very fun, super accurate, and have almost no felt recoil (it's a friggin' K-frame after all). When she gets hooked on it, transition her to Smith 686+ with .38sp rounds. It will feel extremely familiar, and by this time, she will enjoy a little recoil. Then let her fire a cylinder of full-boat .357 HD rounds. She is now fairly trained for an HD situation, and is probably digging the revolvers. I realize this isn't in your stated price range, but it's definitely a two birds/one stone scenario. The Smiths are a solid lifetime investment.

colossians323
10-09-2007, 5:13 AM
Look at a Smith 617. They are very fun, super accurate, and have almost no felt recoil (it's a friggin' K-frame after all). When she gets hooked on it, transition her to Smith 686+ with .38sp rounds. It will feel extremely familiar, and by this time, she will enjoy a little recoil. Then let her fire a cylinder of full-boat .357 HD rounds. She is now fairly trained for an HD situation, and is probably digging the revolvers. I realize this isn't in your stated price range, but it's definitely a two birds/one stone scenario. The Smiths are a solid lifetime investment.

Yes, but you will pay upwards of $600.00 dollars.
I don't own one, but if price is an issue, I would suggest the browning buckmark.
The pistol is reasonably priced, and comes in many different CA legal variations.

The smith and Wesson is nice, but rather pricey for a .22

ts
10-09-2007, 7:14 AM
It would be a fun project to get a Glock 19c, put a compensator on it and make it so it has very little recoil then get the whole thing done in pink Duracoat. It would be pricey but it would be much more fun at the range then a mouse gun.

I hear all these horror stories with the P22 and Sig Mosquito (even though the Sig looks great in 2 tone, the only 2 tone gun I like) - Get a Ruger MK.

Shooting a gun so small at the range will get boring real quick.

I am thinking a mixture between these guns for you:

http://highgearraceguns.com/sitebuilder/images/FRAME_MODS-758x568.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Desertscout1/DuraCoat/IMG_pinkLS.jpg
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f364/Avidone/firearm%20related/G212.jpg
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f364/Avidone/firearm%20related/21C1.jpg

She'd be one of the coolest chicks at the range!

Californio
10-09-2007, 7:28 AM
Take her to a rental range but consider a S&W J frame with 38 HBWC, keep it KISS.

CSACANNONEER
10-09-2007, 5:42 PM
I'd say any Ruger, High Standard or old Browning. I'd stay clear of the Sig as a first .22 handgun. I've seen a few that are shot on a very regular basis and they constantly need work.

MedSpec65
10-09-2007, 9:21 PM
From what I've heard from my customers, the Sig Mosquito is prone to being very picky about what ammo it likes to shoot, but I don't know that first hand. I would recommend the Ruger Mark II or III. However, my number one recommendation is the Browning Buckmark. Everyone in my family has one. If you leave it stock you can shoot any kind of ammo out of it, however I recommend the Federal 550 box or the Aguila Super Extra. Both of those are affordable and offer quality. Whatever you do avoid the Remington Green box at all costs!! That stuff is junk in .22 cal, I don't know why, but it's prone to jamming and misfires. The cool thing about the Buckmark is that it has a lot of after-market stuff available. There's a company called Tactical Solutions that makes barrels in almost every color imaginable. So if you wife really liked the gun you could get her a pink or purple anodized barrel. These barrels look cool and lighten the gun up even more. With .22 you don't really have to worry about recoil, so you can make it as light as you want. The benefit to the Buckmark is a better price over the Ruger, also if you decide to upgrade, you could have the Buckmark barrel shipped directly to your house, whereas with the Ruger, you are basically buying a whole new upper which requires a DROS and a 10 day wait... If it was me, I'd go Buckmark all the way. I don't think with the proper technique the Buckmark would be too hard to rack, especially after it's broken in. Good luck and congrats on getting your wife into shooting.I'm happy to endorse this recommendation. I have a Buckmark Camper with BSA Red-Dot sights (Around $65.00 installed with a Weaver rail) and I couldn't be happier. Use the ammo suggested here and avoid dis-assembling it any more than Browning recommends and you'll have a great entry-level target pistol that will easily get RESULTS for the ladies. Hitting the target without a lot of recoil is where it's at.

EdinKali
10-09-2007, 9:37 PM
Don't forget about the Beretta Neos. Fairly accurate, cheap and easy to clean. You can even get different colored grips for it. I seem to recall seeing baby blue and red grips or grip inserts.

stfrog
10-09-2007, 9:41 PM
p22 is a great little gun for plinking.

cactus
10-10-2007, 9:29 AM
I had this done for my wife. After my attempt at removing the factory barrel failed. Its cheap and she likes it, thats a good combo for any woman! I found a good mak in 380 and ordered the ported barrel from sportsmans for a whopping $15.00 add pearce grips and done. The whole thing was under 300 including the gunsmithing at J&G for the barrel. The only thing was when I brought it home she said " its so ugly ". We then had a discussion about function over appearance but she now likes it. Ported 380 has very minimal recoil and the things reliable.

maxicon
10-10-2007, 10:25 AM
I'd recommend going to a shop and/or rental range and letting her try a wide variety of stuff. My wife finds it's too hard to rack the slide with many semi-autos, while the tip-ups like the little Taurus or the Beretta Bobcat are too small and inaccurate to be any fun shooting. The weight of many guns will be an issue as well.

I've had good luck with .22 revolvers and the Ruger MkII/MkIII series, which are easy to cock and accurate. While a good DA revolver like the S&W 617 is very expensive, the Ruger Single Six is readily available for a reasonable price and is generally very accurate.

For semi-autos, the P22 and Mosquito are both hit-and-miss in reliability and are pretty mediocre in accuracy, and the S&W 22 gets mixed reviews as well. The Buckmark, Neos, and Ruger Mk series are probably the best places to start. My Ruger MK512 shoots rings around my P22 and Mosquito, and outshoots all my .22 revolvers as well. It's a bit heavy due to the bull barrel, but the regular barrel MK series are still nicely accurate.

tombinghamthegreat
10-10-2007, 11:03 AM
.38 smith and western stub nosed revolver is the way to go. Small and light, but has enough stopping power to stop a attacker unlike a .22. If she wants accuracy she could get one with a longer barrel.

Also their is a Springfield emp which i hear is a very good handgun for its size. It is a 9mm so there should not be too much kick.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/handgun_reviews/spemp_010807/

cactus
10-10-2007, 11:09 AM
I forgot to mention it but the wife also likes the colt mustang I got her. A shrunk down 1911 in 380 kind of. I saw a used one for sale in sac yesterday for 650.

kap
10-11-2007, 12:00 AM
Buy her a Glock 17. Simple design and function.

If she wants to shoot she will shoot anything.

ts
10-11-2007, 2:16 AM
This is how it goes: Everyone gets tired of shooting .22's, especially women they want something with a big bang and recoil too.

Many women prefer a semi-auto over a wheel gun and vice versa. Find out what one your wife prefers - for many women the firearm is about looks. I suggest a G19 unless your wife has man hands and wants to hold a full sized Glock.

I left my Glock pretty stock, because I use it for defense. But as I mentioned in my previous posts building a pink overly compensated Glock would not only be fun for her to shoot, but it would be fun project for your self. I also bet some of us here would catch you shooting it.

A .22 wears off fast if it is the only range gun you have. I am sure you have many, but as we all know she wants one she can call hers - thats the one she is most likely going to be going shooting with. F the KISS idea, make the most ridiculous gun you can, get some pink into it, and give it to her. I bet the other guys at the range are going to **** bricks when they see your wife shooting tight groups with her insanely modified Glock.

I sent this thread to a female friend of mine and she wants to build one now. I am excited for the project.

After 200 rounds of .22 you get the questions such as, "Why are the other guns here so much louder?", Why doesn't my gun have a big flame shooting out of it?", "Why does my gun just go pop instead of BANG!?"

And after the range session she can clear her own gun, hell, she can do it while cleaning the dishes.:p One of the easiest guns to clean.

If you are strongly against modifying a Glock (which is understandable) just get a G19c and see if she is okay with it all black.

My .02

Pugster
10-13-2007, 9:16 PM
+1 for Ruger Single Six. I love being able to shoot both 22lr and 22mags. Only downside is reloading; shooting through 200+ rounds will want to make you want to get an autoloader.

+1 for Ruger MKIII. Great gun since it can pretty much digest any ammo you feed it. Only downside is that field stripping the MKIII takes some time getting used to it. I have a cheapo BSA red-dot attached to the MKIII and it pretty much hits to my point of aim :)

fairfaxjim
10-14-2007, 12:03 AM
My wife shoots both my Buckmark 5.5 Target and my Ruger Single Six with no problems. Both are drop dead reliable, clean or dirty. I don't have to spend a lot of my shooting time clearing her jams. The Buckmark is a little struggle for her to rack back with the hammer down, but not a big deal. She also LOVES whacking golf balls and bowling pins with a scoped .22 rifle. When we go to the desert, she goes through a brick a day of .22's and at least a dozen golf balls a weekend.

Gunaria
10-14-2007, 1:21 AM
Get her a classic...East German Makarov. And she'll love you forever.:D