PDA

View Full Version : Almost decided on 1911

Timberland
10-08-2007, 4:45 PM
Well im almost sold on a Para 1911. Its a standard gov model with their power extractor, no FLGR a sweet trigger and nice white dot novak sites. Its a wierd blue color and is around $500 before other fees. I like the feel and price, the only other 1911 ive ever seteled on was the kimber custom 2, but Id be $200 ahed with the para. Any one got any final thoughts?

Knauga
10-08-2007, 4:55 PM
You are better off with the Kimber or a Springfield and the extra $200. If you want a basic GI model, the Springfield Armory GI is very good and will be in the $500 range as well.

Blue
10-08-2007, 5:05 PM
If you want a basic GI model, the Springfield Armory GI is very good and will be in the $500 range as well.

Yea but it's gonna need trigger and site work.

Knauga
10-08-2007, 9:44 PM

I replaced my trigger only on my GI ($8 for the drop in part off ebay), did not modify any other part of the tirgger group. I only did that to have a longer trigger to fit my hand better. Mine from the factory breaks between 5 and 6 lbs.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n276/knauga/Champ.jpg
4" GI "Champion" with Pachmayr Grips

I use the GI sights, at self defense ranges (<20yards), they are plenty effective.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n276/knauga/6rd.jpg
7yds, week hand. 6 rounds.

If you want one with all of the bells and whistles out of the box, you can spend a couple hundred more and buy the loaded, or the various Kimbers in that range.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n276/knauga/springeruchome800.jpg
MY Ultra Compact fits that role.

The GI is a plain vanilla very basic and effective 45 and is usually found just around $500, sometimes less.

RudyN
10-08-2007, 10:58 PM
If you can afford it, try a Springfield Mil-Spec. It has better sights and a lowered ejection port. I have both it and a GI and do like the Mil-Spec better.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u74/Rudy43Norvelle/121_2144.jpg

jess
10-08-2007, 11:08 PM
Go with the Kimber! Thats what I would get. Expensive but quality.

gbran
10-08-2007, 11:23 PM
I'm real happy with my Colt Series 80, but I agree with others here. Get the SA Mil-Spec or a decent Kimber.

GlockOn
10-08-2007, 11:53 PM
I've heard a lot of people say to avoid the newer Kimbers.... So I'd do lot's of research on a Kimber prior to purchase, and I don't mean reading gun mags. I have lost all respect for the reviews in the gun magazines, ever since I got burnt on a gun that got rave reviews, it wasn't a 1911 so no worries. Personally, I like the feel of the Springfield Operator, but that runs 1200. Another option would be a newer Sig GSR, however just a word of warning, they aren't mil-spec, so upgrading might be difficult. Most of the people I've talked to say you can buy a cheaper gun to start out with and then spend extra money on mods, or you can buy a more expensive gun in the first place and spend less money later on.... It's tough, especially when the field ranges in price from $450 to $4500.... Try to get to the range and shoot whatever you are looking at prior to purchase. Good luck.

railroader
10-09-2007, 6:28 AM
I'm not familiar with single stack Para's but if you like it the price sure sounds right. As for the kimber I have two early model. Both are really accurate and reliable. My only experiance with springers has been at local matches. Some of the guys had loaded models and the factory triggers seemed heavy too me compared to my kimbers. Mark

JPB
10-09-2007, 6:48 AM
I'm pleased to see that most are steering you away from the Para. My buddy had one and I was not impressed with either fit or function. Wouldn't even feed ball. As you've been told, spend the extra scratch for a Springfield, or Kimber.

Sprng 03'-A3
10-09-2007, 9:05 AM
I've had a Para LTC for over a year and never had any problems with it.
It's run through about 500 rounds (mostly ball) a hasn't had a single hiccup.
It's a personal choice, you'll hear many different opinions here, but you need to do what's best for your situation.

RAMCHARGER
10-09-2007, 9:35 AM

YES it will

elenius
10-09-2007, 9:35 AM
I think the Kimbers are better value for money than the Springfields. Compare the feature sets.

Also, I wouldn't buy a cheap one and upgrade it later. You'll end up spending a lot more money in the end.

RECCE556
10-09-2007, 2:25 PM
My experience with several Kimbers have not been positive. Let's just say that unless they were practically GIVEN to me, I wouldn't buy one. Springfields aren't bad (though they're not as good as they used to be IMO) but even their $1300 models need some fixin' up. The only 1911's I buy now are either vintage models or new production Colt's.

If you want a inexpensive 1911 that isn't all that bad, check out the Rock Island (RIA) "tactical" model. It has all the bells and whistles for under $400 (check out the SARCO page below...scroll to the bottom...$389)

http://ezine.m1911.org/RIATactical.htm
http://www.sarcoinc.com/rockislands-new.html

http://www.sarcoinc.com/images/rockisland-tacticle.jpg

BossHogg
10-09-2007, 2:40 PM
Why is it that most people that dislike Paras haven't owned one. I just bought a S14-45 Limited(2 more dros days left) ... mainly to use these pre-ban 14rd mags that have been sitting in my safe for tooo many years. I hope I enjoy it because I sure did spend alot on it and could have got alot of different single stack options for my money.

Blue
10-09-2007, 3:44 PM
Why is it that most people that dislike Paras haven't owned one. I just bought a S14-45 Limited(2 more dros days left) ... mainly to use these pre-ban 14rd mags that have been sitting in my safe for tooo many years. I hope I enjoy it because I sure did spend alot on it and could have got alot of different single stack options for my money.

Because they're made in Canada :eek:

LOL I don't know why they dislike them. I've shot another members here, it was a double action 1911 and was INCREDIBLY nice. Very weird feeling shooting it though lol. Once the DA awkwardness subsided I really liked it. I'd consider a Para if I was in the market for another 1911.

Gasless
10-09-2007, 4:36 PM
Spend the extra,itll be well worth it

RECCE556
10-09-2007, 4:41 PM
Why is it that most people that dislike Paras haven't owned one.
FWIW, I owed two and I'm in no hurry to ever look at them again. Not that they were bad, they just weren't that good.

BossHogg
10-09-2007, 6:06 PM
Once the DA awkwardness subsided I really liked it. I'd consider a Para if I was in the market for another 1911.

Yeah I don't care for double action 1911's thats why I got the S14-45

FWIW, I owed two and I'm in no hurry to ever look at them again. Not that they were bad, they just weren't that good.

Double or single action? Double or single stack mags?

It kinda sucks ... because if it weren't for the double stack feature..... I would have bought a Springfield Loaded or TRP or tried to find a Kimber series 1.

Ohh well you have to own more than one 1911 anyway right??:D

RECCE556
10-10-2007, 4:05 AM
Single Action, Double Stack...P12 and a P13...

colossians323
10-10-2007, 5:08 AM
My first 1911 is a springfield V12 loaded that I picked up for $455.00 used.

I am very happy with the purchase, as it showed little to no where.
All the 1911's I have now have been purchased used, some more than others.
I would look for a used one definitely, where you may be able to pick it up for less cost with extras.

Good luck!

Timberland
10-10-2007, 9:21 PM
I dont know what all that hate is about other than the paint on finish. Kimber uses MIM parts just like parra. And the dba triggers blew be away but I dont need one of thoes. I just cant see the price varration between 1911s, its 100 year old tecknology for Gods sake. Im not trying to justify this to myself, but I just want a nice tight shooter and the pride of ownership that a 1911 brings.