PDA

View Full Version : is the tasco optima the same thing as the j point?

proraptor
10-08-2007, 2:59 PM
I'm thinking about putting a red dot on my glock 17 for steel madness and have heard the tasco optima was the same thing as the j point and a lot cheaper.

Is the j point worth the extra money?

brassburnz
10-08-2007, 4:14 PM
My friends have J-points. I have an Optima 2000. I've been told the Optima isn't as strong and will fail eventually from repeated recoil.

I'm planning to mount the Optima on a G17 as well, just haven't done it yet.

Randy
NRA Life Member

proraptor
10-09-2007, 9:52 AM
do you know if there is any warranty with the optima?

I can get an optima a lot cheaper than the jpoint that's why I ask

Kruzr
10-09-2007, 11:18 AM
The J-point is the Optima now that Tasco no longer makes Optimas. Tasco sold it's license offshore to the company that makes the J-point.

They aren't the quality of a Doctor red dot but at about a third of the cost, they do just fine.

proraptor
10-11-2007, 9:58 AM
so it sounds like the optima and the jpoint are the same thing then...thanks

Kruzr
10-11-2007, 10:19 AM
so it sounds like the optima and the jpoint are the same thing then...thanks

From the E.A. Brown website: (they were the first importers of the J-Point)

When Tasco went out of business and stopped production of the Optima 2000, there were alot of broken hearts among us shooters. The good news is that the only thing "Tasco" about it was the name... "Optima". One of our importers got these wonderful little sights back into production with some major improvements in their brightness, clarity, and reliability. The new sight is called the JPoint Electronic Sight. It's exactly the same size and shape as the Optima 2000 and fits all of the same mounting adaptors. The initial production runs of the JPoint were small... But we've now shipped hundreds of JPoints in both 8 MOA and 4 MOA dot sizes. Hundreds more are in service with our US Soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan... yes it is a far tougher little bugger than the old Optima!