PDA

View Full Version : Ab1357??

robertlo99
10-08-2007, 3:26 PM
The last time I bought a handgun was about 13 years ago and I had my Basic firearms safety cert along, which I still have today. Apparently, when they told me that it was good for the rest of my life, that was all BS. Then I did research and found that there's an assembly bill out there that is trying to let the old BFSC holders be exempt from the new BS HSC test. I called the assemblywoman's (Nicole Parra) office and am glad to hear that they are making progress on this bill. Does anyone else feel that the new HSC is BS for individuals who already possess a BFSC cert or hunting license?

Also, a related question, will do you have to take the HSC if you are purchasing an AR lower receiver?

Link to the AB: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/07-08/bill/asm/ab_1351-1400/ab_1357_bill_20070530_amended_asm_v97.html

RudyN
10-08-2007, 3:35 PM
You don't need to take a HSC test for a OLL, just for handguns. somebody chime in if I am incorrect, but I know I did not have to show a HSC card wneh I bought my OLL this year.

elenius
10-08-2007, 3:40 PM
The HSC is just for handguns. That's the 'H' :)

Drexel669
10-08-2007, 3:43 PM
I would have to agree that it is BS to take the HSC if you already have an BFSC.
When I bought my OLL I wasnt asked to present my HSC card either.
The only time you have to present your HSC card is when you are purchasing a Handgun.

Glock22Fan
10-08-2007, 4:00 PM
It is BS, but the test is so easy and simple (and cheap) that it's no hassle to take and pass it. If you know the difference between revolvers and semi-auto pistols, know what a cylinder or a magazine is and the rules of gun safety (repeat after me . . .) you are well on the way.

fairfaxjim
10-08-2007, 10:15 PM
The last time I bought a handgun was about 13 years ago and I had my Basic firearms safety cert along, which I still have today. Apparently, when they told me that it was good for the rest of my life, that was all BS.

Well, actually it is good for the rest of your life, just not any good anymore for purchasing handguns. The BFSC program was cancelled and replaced by the HSC progam about 5 years ago, and is valid for 5 years. "I'll still love you in the morning," "The check is in the mail," and "I'm from the government and I'm here to help!" Sound familiar?

BTW - Anyone who became an HSC Certified Instructor when the program began will need to renew their cert before the end of the year (Yup, it's been 5 years.)

Also, a related question, will do you have to take the HSC if you are purchasing an AR lower receiver?

Nope, lowers are long guns, even if they don't look like it.

robertlo99
10-10-2007, 2:49 PM
i went with my friend to the local dealer to pick up his gun and on a whim, I took the test today, after 13 yrs, the questions really haven't changed much from the BFSC....I got 100% The guy at the counter said that he's never seen a 100%...but based on the questions, I am surprised there's not more.