PDA

View Full Version : New in the Bay Area

perc71
10-07-2007, 5:17 PM
I just moved to the Bay area a few months ago from So Cal (SFV area). I don't Planning to buy a handgun but don't know where. I have only seen the prices at Target Masters in Milpitas but they are overpriced in my opinion. Can anybody give me leads as to where to buy firearms in Nor Cal. I am willing to drive out of bay are to San juaquin valley (stockton, tracy, manteca etc) just to get a good deal. Thanks in advance for any help

On the side, is it cheaper to buy in So cal than in Nor cal?

perc 71

dfens
10-07-2007, 5:56 PM
Welcome yes So Cal is much cheaper than up North.

I would recommend Reed's in San Jose they usually have the best deals since they are the biggest shop with the most selection on hand.

They are about 30-50 bucks cheaper than any other gun store out their. I know I've been to practically every place and unless your a regular that gets a deal the only way to beat them is to order online and find a FFL with a cheap transfer rate which is very hard to find.

The thing I like about Reed's is they have a display model you can handle and if you buy one, they give you a brand NIB gun that no one has handled unlike most shops the one in the case is the one your buying and who knows how many people have touched it.

oghl888
10-07-2007, 6:03 PM
Target Master's prices are probably average around here. I just brought a few guns there in the last 30 days or so. I've been going there since the current owner's father was running the place, so I don't mind spending some money there. It's a good place.

Reed's has a terrible reputation when it comes to customer treatment, and I tend to agree. I would not buy anything there again.

MedSpec65
10-07-2007, 6:55 PM
I've heard good reviews for City Arms in Pacifica, although I've never had time to check it out. I've been a regular at my local store, Imbert & Smithers here in San Carlos for a few years. They discount my new purchases and have a great selection of used firearms that are added and deleted daily. Many calgun members regularly lurk there to find one-of-a-kind rare used guns.

aplinker
10-07-2007, 7:17 PM
Irvington Arms is a good choice. Their prices are reasonable, even compared to this so-called LA discounted prices (which I've yet to see). Their Kimber prices are great.

Driving to save a few bucks on a firearm is far from worth it nowadays. Between having to make two trips and the cost of gas it doesn't make sense.

If no one has even a decent price the other option is to check the dealer transfer prices (sticky thread in the Rifleman's forum) and buy from one of the online discount shops. Roger's Relics is a spot with apparently good xfer prices.

Blue
10-07-2007, 8:30 PM
Irvington Arms is a good choice. Their prices are reasonable, even compared to this so-called LA discounted prices (which I've yet to see). Their Kimber prices are great.

Driving to save a few bucks on a firearm is far from worth it nowadays. Between having to make two trips and the cost of gas it doesn't make sense.

If no one has even a decent price the other option is to check the dealer transfer prices (sticky thread in the Rifleman's forum) and buy from one of the online discount shops. Roger's Relics is a spot with apparently good xfer prices.

+1 If I didn't buy it from Irvington chances are it came from Target Masters. TM has sales every now and then too. God come to think of it I can't even remember when or what the last gun I bought was! :eek:

Suvorov
10-07-2007, 10:36 PM
Shop at Reeds if you want to have to take a number to be helped and then be told misinformation from some lackey who couldn't get a real job as a hunter guide/cop/soldier, but wants to feel all superior because he can let you touch a gun.

For the most part, in the Bay Area, prepare to kiss *** just to be treated like crap by the moron behind the counter.

Sorry for the negativity and sarcasm, but I have yet to go to a "big" store and have a pleasant experience. The only place I have found that is not condescending is Krausewerk in San Mateo, but they have a limited selection and are mostly curio and relics.

elenius
10-07-2007, 10:57 PM
I second everything said about Reed's. Target masters are way cheaper (and nicer). I haven't compared their prices to Irvington, but if you want to look at lots of guns, that's not the place to go, as they don't have a big stock.

Trader Jack
10-07-2007, 11:09 PM

I would recommend Reed's in San Jose they usually have the best deals since they are the biggest shop with the most selection on hand.

They are about 30-50 bucks cheaper than any other gun store out their. I know I've been to practically every place and unless your a regular that gets a deal the only way to beat them is to order online and find a FFL with a cheap transfer rate which is very hard to find.

The thing I like about Reed's is they have a display model you can handle and if you buy one, they give you a brand NIB gun that no one has handled unlike most shops the one in the case is the one your buying and who knows how many people have touched it.

You must work for Reed's because most of what you are sayings is BS.
Reed's is one of the most expensive places around and thy do not always have backup on all there firearms.

Ratters
10-07-2007, 11:19 PM
+ whatever for Irvington Arms. Cool guys and will order whatever you need if they don't have it and they'll give you agreat price.

Sampachi
10-08-2007, 12:00 AM
+1 more for City Arms in Pacifica. They've treated me pretty good so far.
There are a couple stores in Stockton, but I don't think they are worth driving out to from the Bay Area.

SJshooter
10-08-2007, 12:09 AM
If you are from out-of-state, be prepared to pay dearly for the guns you want. TargetMasters is pretty close to what you will find. It gets worse with nice used guns. You can often pay double what you would in another state.

Welcome to the People's Republic of Kalifornia. Read up on the gun laws here - we got a lot of them!

uther04
10-08-2007, 8:18 AM
I have dealt a few times with Imbert and Smithers and they are nice people always willing to help. However my new home away from home has become High Bridge Arms, in San Francisco. Parking is usually not bad if you go early in the day (my preference Saturdays at 10:30). Just watch out for the meter maids. They do ticket that early in the day. Great people to deal with and very informative. Prices seem to be fair, high transfer rates, but just a pleasure to deal with. Don't find many places that actually have customer service. Plus it must be hard being a gun store in SF, so I give them all my support.

scootergmc
10-08-2007, 8:54 AM
Prices over in Sac area can be cheaper, but the $ you spend in gas will offset the cost savings. Best stay in the bay.

Soldier415
10-08-2007, 9:14 AM
take a number to be helped and then be told misinformation from some lackey who couldn't get a real job as a hunter guide/cop/soldier, but wants to feel all superior because he can let you touch a gun.

For the most part, in the Bay Area, prepare to kiss *** just to be treated like crap by the moron behind the counter.

Sorry for the negativity and sarcasm, but I have yet to go to a "big" store and have a pleasant experience. The only place I have found that is not condescending is Krausewerk in San Mateo, but they have a limited selection and are mostly curio and relics.

That is pretty much how it is in a lot of places.

If you want to avoid the above, i recommend coming across the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge to Bullseye in San Rafael

Good prices, and the service is outstanding in every way. Knowledgable, helpful, friendly staff who are happy to answer your questions (if they dont know they go find someone who does instead of making something up), let you handle whatever you want without a grumble, and just go out of their way in terms of customer service.

if anyone else in here has been in there lately, chime in.

I wish i made more $$$ so i could shop there more often :D

maxicon
10-08-2007, 9:29 AM
If you don't mind driving south, Markley's in Watsonville is a good place. Friendly staff and decent prices (especially on used stuff), and a range in the store as a bonus. It's a bit dark and old-school, but it works.

Sportsmen's Supply in Campbell is small, but has a lot of turnover. If you don't mind buying used, I've had great luck stopping in at SS on a weekly basis to check out the stock. It can get crowded, and the staff can be a bit snippy depending on who you get, but I do OK with them.

I'll echo the Reed's comments - the guys are often friendly enough, but there's a lot of misinformation there, and prices are as high as you'll find in the bay area. Lots of stock, though.

If you know what you want, it's always good to call Irvington or City Arms first.

rivviepop
10-08-2007, 10:47 AM
You didn't mention what part of the Bay - as others mentioned, Irvington Arms is great, Frank is a calguns.net member here (I think his username is 'franskremote'). City Arms down in Pacifica has a nice selection of all sorts of random things, nice folks - they have some older Eastern EU block firearms all the time (Makarovs, CZ 52's, etc.) in the consignment counter. High Bridge in the city carries a lot of SIG and Baretta gear, the three main people who work there (Linda, John, Kevin) are super nice - just don't visit on a Saturday afternoon, it gets crazy in that tiny store. Krausewerk in San Mateo is a fantastic place to go look at C&R weapons, they also stock almost all of the CZ line and a lot of 1911 type things (very "army surplus" feeling).

I patronize all 4 stores (not so much IA, I live a bit too far away) and have never had a problem at any of the places. High Bridge will pretty much sell MSRP or a little below if you haggle on a consignment gun, Krausewerk is below MSRP by $30-$50 usually, City Arms is below MSRP $20 or MSRP itself, can't rightly speak for IA since I don't go there enough.

AraiGuma
10-08-2007, 11:58 AM
If you are looking for an used gun, I vote for Imbert and Smithers in San Carlos. Krausewerk in San Mateo is great if you are in to C&R guns.

For the modern and new firearms, Target Masters in Milpitas is a good choice. I also go to Sportsmen's Supply in Campbell. They are both good friendly store with only exception of "Taking TOO MUCH TIME to Process the Paper".

At the last, if you want to be treated like a customer in Safeway's meat / fish department, other words, if you want to take a #, wait almost forever, then get BS service (for both purchase and pick-up), then go to Reed's. That's the last shop I would go in the area.

dfens
10-08-2007, 12:39 PM
Ok let me get one thing straight I don't work at Reed's. I've bought from them in the past but not so much anymore. Yes as others have said sometimes especially if they are busy with lots of customers the service is terrible. And I've waited so long to be helped I walked out. Here I was a previous customer ready to spend more.

But as for prices I haven't found anyone cheaper then them and that's a fact especially if you go to their once a year sale. If you know what you want and don't want to drive around it's hard to beat their prices.

For example I was looking at a USP 9mm bought mine online for 600 out the door NIB. Reed's had one for 750, Target Masters wanted 820 new and had a used one for 750. TM 750 used? When Reed's had one new for the same price not much of a deal.

Target Masters had this one manager guy who was suck a a-hole on a power trip I don't know if he's still their. Got mad at me when I told him I didn't want a dam Glock. Went on how it's the best gun ever made. I the customer wil tell you what I want not the other way around.

It seems every gun store I've been too has at least one person who's a dick or ignores you. That's just the business.

Sportsmen's Supply is ok but they don't have that much selection on hand. The prices are a little higher but if you know what you want and they don't have it they can order it no problem. I tried to order a gun from them one time they couldn't get it but it was the manufactorer who was out of stock, can't blame them for that.

But I like to handle one in person not sight un-seen, that's the one of the only thing Reed's has going for it.

Went to Imbert and Smith's off San Carlos bought a few supplies, but would never buy a gun from them. Their prices were outragious. Everything was at or close to MSRP on their pistols give me a break how do they stay in business with prices so high.

It's sad I remember like 10 years ago+ their was tons of guns stores now their is only a handfull left. I'm sorry to say it but down in LA or Southern Cal has much better prices.

But I mostly buy online or try to find PPT, been the cheapest route for me if your willing to wait for the best deal.

bwiese
10-08-2007, 1:19 PM
Some Reed's (sport shop) people are very nice. I like Mike (tall skinny guy w/beard who's moving to Oregon). He's helpful and polite.

The folks at Reed's Indoor Range are very nice and helpful too. I had a very nice chat w/Eric there and some misconceptions were dispelled. They've done a great job in making a range nice, clean and comfortable and friendly/accessible to (supervised) newbies and families.

Suvorov
10-08-2007, 2:43 PM
Some Reed's (sport shop) people are very nice. I like Mike (tall skinny guy w/beard who's moving to Oregon). He's helpful and polite.

Last year I purchased a new 580 series Mini from them. After having to go through the whole "take a number" thing to both purchase the gun and then pick up the gun (oh, and I can't pay for the gun and accessories together), the gentleman asked me if I need magazines. I explained to him that I already had a stock of magazines from a Mini I owned before the ban. He then told me that if I used any of them in the new Mini I would be committing a felony (and probably burn in Hell). I just grabbed the box and left, but I can only wonder what they would do if you brought an OLL rifle into their store.

This year, I went to there "SUPER PARKING LOT SALE" to pick up some ammo. I asked their guy (he was a big guy who had that "I'm super tough" look about him) for some full power 10mm and he replied to me "10mm is all the same power - it's 10mm." I told him no, I wanted the full power stuff and then proceeded to show him the different loads and velocities in the Federal Catalog. He then made some disparaging comment about how that was all because of "wimps who couldn't handle big guns." I wanted to just leave, but since I am an ammo whore, I still dropped some coin that day.

If you have clout with Mr Reed (or whoever owns the place), maybe tell him that his employees are asses. It doesn't seem like I'm the only one to have less than favorable experiences at Reeds.

pepsi2451
10-08-2007, 3:04 PM

That depends on what you mean by "up North" I live in Del Norte county and my FFL charges me 25$ plus DROS for any out of state transfer. From what I understand that is a fairly good price.

Gryff
10-09-2007, 11:30 PM
Personally, I can't stand Target Masters. It seems like the charge 10% over MSRP on everything, and their people don't know squat. They also tie down the triggers/hammers on their guns, so you cannot get a feel for what the trigger is like. This is all based on personal experience, so it is subjective, but I know that I won't buy anything from there.

Heck, I won't even use their range because of my bad experiences there.

-Jim

cseabass
10-10-2007, 9:12 AM
+1 If I didn't buy it from Irvington chances are it came from Target Masters. TM has sales every now and then too. God come to think of it I can't even remember when or what the last gun I bought was! :eek:

hehehe i havent seen you around TMW n a while. im hurt.:p

Personally, I can't stand Target Masters. It seems like the charge 10% over MSRP on everything, and their people don't know squat. They also tie down the triggers/hammers on their guns, so you cannot get a feel for what the trigger is like. This is all based on personal experience, so it is subjective, but I know that I won't buy anything from there.

as for not knowing anything... OUCH!!!! my pride...:rolleyes:

On a side note, i cant argue with people sayin we take too long for paperwork. i think we do also, though i try to make the long purchasing experience a pleasant one.

timmy8151
10-10-2007, 9:34 AM
Another vote for City Arms. Great prices and very good service. The guys working there aren't pushy and don't come across as gunshop commandos.

oghl888
10-10-2007, 10:59 AM

Heck, I won't even use their range because of my bad experiences there.

-Jim

At least on the S&W items, they are not over MSRP. I don't know MSRP of other brands well enough to comment. They do let me try the trigger on some guns, since they know I am a serious buyer. I believe they put the straps on to prevent window shoppers from doing any damage (such as closing the cylinder on a wheel gun hollywood style, and slamming the slide closed on a 1911).

The range is getting better as well. I do wish they would put better clips on the target hanger (if that's only complaint, they should be very happy :)

oghl888
10-10-2007, 11:01 AM
[QUOTE=cseabass;786610]hehehe i havent seen you around TMW n a while. im hurt.:p

Cseabass, I don't think people who know you will question your knowledge :)

rivviepop
10-10-2007, 11:19 AM
The range is getting better as well. I do wish they would put better clips on the target hanger (if that's only complaint, they should be very happy :)

...if it's anything like Jackson Arms, people who can't hit the broad side of an SUV at 7yds keep shooting them off. :)

yallknowho
10-10-2007, 6:34 PM
sportsman's supply is pretty cheap. I'd go there or San Jose Gun Exchange when they get their new license. I'd love to support kerley's considering they are located less than a mile from me, but they are real expensive. If they lowered their prices they would get more business and in turn more money.

cseabass
10-10-2007, 9:31 PM
At least on the S&W items, they are not over MSRP. I don't know MSRP of other brands well enough to comment. They do let me try the trigger on some guns, since they know I am a serious buyer. I believe they put the straps on to prevent window shoppers from doing any damage (such as closing the cylinder on a wheel gun hollywood style, and slamming the slide closed on a 1911).

the clip situation drives us nuts also. we have tried stuff. i think when these carriers are gone we'll devise a new plan of attack on the clip issue.

cseabass
10-10-2007, 9:33 PM
[QUOTE=cseabass;786610]hehehe i havent seen you around TMW n a while. im hurt.:p

Cseabass, I don't think people who know you will question your knowledge :)

hehehe theres still a lot i dont know(as much as i dont want to admit it:p )

snaggletooth
10-11-2007, 12:18 AM
Four pages and the only mention to Jackson Arms is that people shooting there keep shooting the target hanger clips?!?!?!?!?!? Granted, they don't really have much of a selection, but they ocaisonally have some really nice stuff in, and if you want they have/can order guns, at a pretty good price, I've always had a good time there, and they treat me well.

oghl888
10-11-2007, 12:55 AM
Four pages and the only mention to Jackson Arms is that people shooting there keep shooting the target hanger clips?!?!?!?!?!? Granted, they don't really have much of a selection, but they ocaisonally have some really nice stuff in, and if you want they have/can order guns, at a pretty good price, I've always had a good time there, and they treat me well.

I think we are hi-jakcing the threat now :)

I enjoyed my visits to Jackson Arms also. Luckily for me, everyone around me had reasonable shooting skills when I was there.

cseabass
10-11-2007, 8:49 AM
i personally have yet to go to jackson. i really would like to, but i just havent found the time.

i would like to try their rifle range.

rivviepop
10-11-2007, 10:55 AM

There was a smiley included with my post, I was having fun -- I was just at Jackson last night having a good time. I don't think a lot of people really consider them a dealer as they won't do things like FFL out of state transfers and so on, I've asked. They're more of a range who happens to sell some firearms (they had a nice Dan Wesson Commander awhile ago) than they are what most consider a regular dealer. My $0.02.

slocum
10-11-2007, 11:24 AM
I'll add a +1 for City Arms, Pacifica.

Those guys are about as straightforward to deal with as is possible in ANY business, let alone one as shifty and often misinformed as the gun business.

They're good guys trying to make an honest living in the land of opportunity (they're Russians). They are firm 2A supporters and simply enjoy what they do.

They don't pull BS such as charging sales tax on transfers like Imbert & Smithers, and they will do any LEGAL transfer without a lot of drama, also unlike Imbert, who will only transfer a gun if they can't get it for you to sell it to you at full retail price.

City Arms' prices are as reasonable as any I've seen in the Bay Area and their selection is usually good.

Imbert is three minutes from my house but the truth is that I hardly ever think of them for anything other than a little Hoppe's or a bore brush or two. It seems like you have to be a regular customer to get any sort of respect from them let alone any kind of deal out of them. Doing that requires spending a lot of cash while they get to know you. I don't have the time or th spare cash for that sort of BS. I appreciate the fact that they're there, but I wish they had a better attitude about what they represent to those of us who would desperately like better choices at a reasonable price.

JMHO,

s

timmy8151
10-11-2007, 12:14 PM
I live 5 minutes from Imbert & Smithers and refuse to go there as well. As posted above their prices are way too high. Also they charged $50 to do a PPT when the cap should have been $35. Id rather make the drive to City Arms and deal with honest people.

cseabass
10-11-2007, 12:18 PM
all these shops on the other side of the water, never been to them. ill have to go on a gun shop tour again.

i refer people to them from time to time if i dont have something in stock. i guess i should check them out:p

movie zombie
10-12-2007, 12:02 PM
If you don't mind driving south, Markley's in Watsonville is a good place. Friendly staff and decent prices (especially on used stuff), and a range in the store as a bonus. It's a bit dark and old-school, but it works.

definitely a Markely's fan.

and if you're down there, go a bit further down to moss landing and treat yourself to a meal at Phil's Fish Market: http://www.philsfishmarket.com/. very casual and very fresh.

i figure if i'm going to make the drive for guns, i'll also get a good meal while in the area!

movie zombie

ps and if you want to feel like a real local, turn your radio dial to 107.5....KPIG rules!

FinweElensar
10-13-2007, 4:24 AM
It's cheaper if you buy it online. If you've got extra moolah and want to support local business, ignore the rest of my post.

I buy my SIGs from Ordnance Outsellers and I'm still ahead after DROS+transfer fees over buying it locally. Don't go to an FFL who charges $100 per gun. Mr. ____ of Milpitas charges $65, IIRC.

Rent a gun at Target Master's and see how it feels/fits before purchasing.

Pugster
10-13-2007, 11:25 AM
+1 for Roger's Relics.

Purchase online and get it transferred at Roger's Relics.

icoburn
10-13-2007, 2:18 PM
+1 for Roger's Relics.

Purchase online and get it transferred at Roger's Relics.

+1 For RR. If you want to save money and get the best customer service, buying online and transferring through Lisa and Roger is the only way to go.

If you want to purchase locally City Arms or Irvington Arms are good people.

Enough has been said about Reeds Sports, personally I will never buy from them again. A nice selection doesn’t make up for generally miserable customer service.

Gunaria
10-14-2007, 1:13 AM
Ok I am going to drop some other names other than Irvington Arms & Target Masters, which are excellent places to go so don't get me wrong. Other less know hidden jewels in the BA are Dublin Gun & Knives, Castro Valley Gun Shop, Andreotti's Firearm Sales and the Livermore gun shop on Old First St. (Under new management now).

Let's break 'em down now;

Dublin Gun & Knives: Fairest prices in the BA that I have seen and a nice small selection. Not a full line stock store. There are mainly 3 things that are sold there; guns, knives and ammo.

Castro Valley Gun Shop as know as Bullseye Shooting III; Prices are ok, normal BA prices. This is a Fully stock store, meaning just about anything shooting related can be found there. Lots of reloading components. Lot's of consignment rifles & shotgun that you can handle w/o asking permission to do so.

Andreotti's Firearm Sales: This is a very small storefront about the size of most living rooms. Has some accessories on hand. The thing about this place is that you can see Andreotti's inventory of firearms before even going into the store. Go to gunsamerica here's the link http://www.gunsamerica.com/Search.htm?OG=0&T=Andreotti's&AS=60&LF=0&OI=0&LTID=CL%2cA%2cAB%2cBA&AC=&MN=0&MX=0&F= All the prices are right there in front of you so you can decide for yourself about them. The store is located behind Dino's

Livermore store: A little on the pricey side but very nice customer service. You can always go in there and hear a good story or two. Full line shop. This place has so much potential with the amount of floor space that it has. If they were to get some more display cases and stock them with some more guns and drop the prices a little, sales would take off.