PDA

View Full Version : Santa Barbara Cal Guns shoot

DedEye
10-07-2007, 1:55 AM
Time to try for another Calguns shoot in Santa Barbara. With Los Padres National Forest (The Glass Factory) closed for fire season, it seems we'll have to go to Winchester Canyon to shoot. I've not been there yet, but have been told it's open to the public on weekends.

There are a few members I know are in/around Santa Barbara who just have to attend for this to be an official Calguns shoot. They are:

Me (:p)
jjperl
jumbopanda
hank_rearden
double_action
hopi420
want_ar

So it's official you guys, I'm calling you out. We have to work out a date when we (and anyone else near here who can make it) can meet for an OLL shoot. I haven't been shooting since I was in Israel in August and my trigger finger is getting itchy. Anyone else from the area, add your name to this list, these are just the members I know to be here.

MobCounty
10-07-2007, 1:12 PM
Sounds fun. I'm pretty busy till the new year, but maybe if I'm lucky, it will fall on an open weekend.

Michael303
10-07-2007, 5:28 PM
I would be in for a meet and shoot. I'm in Ventura, but I end up in SB most weekends as that's where my friends and family are. It’s sad, but I haven't had any trigger time since they closed ECC for fire season.

One tiny problem may be that the Department of Ag just revoked Winchester's permit. Not sure what direct impact this has had, or if it's being appealed. Link is here (http://www.dailynexus.com/article.php?a=14587).

Osprey
10-07-2007, 11:12 PM
Grad school is grinding my ***, but I'll be there.

I'm also going to invite my two good buddies (and sporadic CalGunners) vorpar and airsoft rules!. They're both good chaps and OLL owners. We'll be recruiting new Santa Barbara Cig-AR Club members :chris:

Someone should email user mth so we can all thank him for his excellent letter to the Nexus that was published a few months ago. He mentioned he didn't own any OLLs so we may be able to indoctrinate him into black rifledom.

Saturday mornings work best for me, but I'm flexible and we can work out a date/time later.

Also, just something to consider - if there are any SBSO deputies who post/lurk here, maybe you can invite some of your fellow deputies? Might be a good chance for a meet and greet and explaining some of the intricasies of the whole OLL phenomenon. Just a thought.

desertram800
10-08-2007, 12:36 AM
when is all the local BLM land supposed to re-open? As in Cherry Creek? It's only like 15 minutes from where I live, and I hate having to go all the way to Piru or Angeles just to shoot. Oh yeah, BTW, I'm not supporting shooter's paradise anymore, or any other range that requires lead free ammo. I'm in Ojai, and I'm always looking for some nearby spots and people to shoot with!

DedEye
10-08-2007, 12:50 AM
I would be in for a meet and shoot. I'm in Ventura, but I end up in SB most weekends as that's where my friends and family are. It’s sad, but I haven't had any trigger time since they closed ECC for fire season.

One tiny problem may be that the Department of Ag just revoked Winchester's permit. Not sure what direct impact this has had, or if it's being appealed. Link is here (http://www.dailynexus.com/article.php?a=14587).

Aye, I was gonna post about WCGC's problems, but after reading their website apparently they're still open for business as usual.

want_ar
10-08-2007, 6:43 AM
"REGIONAL FORRESTER'S PERMIT REVERSAL
The issues at
contention ALL relate to archaeological matters and do not take issue with
anything the WCGC has provided to the USFS. In fact, the Regional Forester's
decision reinforces the Club's work i.e. the Environmental Stewardship Plan,
Memorandum of Agreement with the Chumash, Lead removal, etc. which were found to meet all the legal requirements.

It's not entirely clear that the Los Padres USFS knows at this point which direction
they are headed to "fix" the problems, which mostly involve the "Wind Caves"
Knapp Site located in the San Jose Basin. The entire basin is now outside the Club's permitted area and our future role regarding it is limited to clean-up of the old 600 yard
range. Once that's been accomplished, the basin is no longer a concern of
the WCGC...

The Appellants seem to be making a fuss about public use of that site, which
is an issue between the native american's (who are not Chumash) and the
USFS. Again, the Club has no responsibility to the basin beyond cleaning up
the 600 yard range.

So, where we go from here? To date, the Club has been unable to arrange a
meeting w/the USFS due to their schedules. In the mean time, we'll be in
business as usual for the foreseeable future, as the USFS has promised to
continue issuing us one year permits until the problems with the 20 year
permit are resolved."

I'm a member at WCGC. As far as I know the rifle, pistol and 200yd ranges are still operational. I haven't been there in a while, but I'll ask the ones who should know.

double_action
10-08-2007, 7:49 AM
I'm in depending on the date. Saturday mornings would be best for me.

PistolPete75
10-08-2007, 9:53 AM
ohh, i might go. give me some more info, like time and date. it's a beatiful drive to santa barbara!

DedEye
10-08-2007, 10:53 AM
Sounds like Saturday mornings are the best time for everyone. Would the next couple weeks work or should we wait until next month?

I'm always trying to talk to the UCPD officers about OLLs but they never deal with them so they don't really keep up with the AW laws/care about them.

PistolPete75
10-08-2007, 11:04 AM
how long is the rifle range?

Californio
10-08-2007, 12:15 PM
Sat 10-13 there is a match on the 200 yard until Noon and I don't believe the 200 yard is open to non-events.

No events sceduled for Sat 10-20 on either the Pistol or 100 yard rifle range.

http://santabarbarashootingsports.com/Documents/2007CAL.pdf

double_action
10-08-2007, 12:16 PM
The 20th of Oct is perfect for me.

Hopi
10-08-2007, 12:16 PM
Count me in! let's solidify a date.....busies schedules need to know!

DedEye
10-08-2007, 4:53 PM
Sounds like the 20th of October is the best for everyone eh?

DedEye
10-12-2007, 12:55 AM
Just a bump for more views. So we're all agreed on Saturday the 20th, where will we meet and how will we recognize each other? I'd guess the black rifles will be a big hint ;).

Bring your gripless/featureless builds, I've got more high caps than I can feed :).

Osprey
10-12-2007, 4:21 AM
I'll be there. Bring ya whole crew - I'm bringing mine.

BTW Zach, I'd give you a ride to Dean's but my schedule is ****ed...

Californio
10-12-2007, 8:18 AM
You might want to contact the Club before bringing OLL's up there. I have never seen one there. Their permit with the USFS may have restrictions or the Club may have restrictions.

http://santabarbarashootingsports.com/contactus.aspx

double_action
10-12-2007, 9:47 AM
I've shot one of my OLLs up there and Dusty, the rangemaster, was fine with it.

jjperl
10-12-2007, 6:10 PM
looks like the glass factory might be reopening soon since its been raining/rain in the forecast.

Michael303
10-12-2007, 7:03 PM
looks like the glass factory might be reopening soon since its been raining/rain in the forecast.

Let's hope so!

Given my druthers, I'd rather go to the glass factory, but in the absence of that, I'm in for Winchester next weekend.

DedEye
10-13-2007, 12:55 AM
Let's hope so!

Given my druthers, I'd rather go to the glass factory, but in the absence of that, I'm in for Winchester next weekend.

Agreed! It's raining tonight, where do we check if the Glass Factory is open? If it's open by next weekend let's change the place to the Glass Factory!

jumbopanda
10-13-2007, 1:00 AM
Oh damn, I just came across this thread! I sure don't want to miss this!

But the dilemma facing me at this time is the issue of getting my guns from home, taking them to the range, and then returning them home. I am at college and live 2 hours away from home.

double_action
10-13-2007, 1:02 AM
When we get 2 inches of rain, it's open for shooting.

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/lox/local/LAXRR1SBA

DedEye
10-13-2007, 2:57 AM
Oh damn, I just came across this thread! I sure don't want to miss this!

But the dilemma facing me at this time is the issue of getting my guns from home, taking them to the range, and then returning them home. I am at college and live 2 hours away from home.

Not to worry, I wouldn't have let you miss out on this shoot. I'm sure there'll be more guns than shooters too ;).

vorpar
10-15-2007, 5:14 PM
I just talked to Rick Dodge, if you go to Dodge City for ammo this week, he'll give us a group buy discount if you mention Calguns.

DedEye
10-15-2007, 7:48 PM
I just talked to Rick Dodge, if you go to Dodge City for ammo this week, he'll give us a group buy discount if you mention Calguns.

Awesome! Thanks Vorpar; I'll be heading there sometime this week to get .223.

jumbopanda
10-15-2007, 9:29 PM
I suppose I'll have to head home on Friday, pick up my guns and ammo, then come back here the next day then. Quite a bit a driving, and I was planning on getting a flu shot this week, but I'll see what I can do. I really want to shoot my AK pistol some more. :chris:

Michael303
10-15-2007, 10:01 PM
Looking forward to Winchester this weekend. I figure I'll head up there around 10 or 11. I pickup my Bren from James this week, and I can't wait to test it out.

Refresh my memory: does Winchester provide target stands and paper targets, or should I construct one and hit the printer before I show?

vorpar
10-16-2007, 7:16 PM
they give you targets and stands

Hopi
10-17-2007, 12:51 PM
Sounds like there are going to be some nice guns out there.....let's hope for Glass factory access!!!!!!!

DedEye
10-19-2007, 2:56 AM
Doesn't seem like Glass Factory is gonna open in time for us to meet there :(. So, where do we all want to meet on Saturday? I've never been to WCGC so I don't know the layout or landmarks.

Also, anyone need to buy ammo still? I haven't bought .223 yet but was going to go to Dodge City sometime today hopefully. Last time I was there they didn't have any 7.5mm Swiss though and I wanted to try and shoot my K31 for the first time since I bought it. Trade anyone some .223 for 7.5?

Michael303
10-19-2007, 7:45 AM
Getting to WCGC is pretty straight forward. Head up the 154, turn left on to West Camino Cielo. Just drive until you see the gate to the range. It's at the end of the road, so you if you end up in brush you've gone too far. They also have directions on their site (http://santabarbarashootingsports.com/map.aspx). I figure I'll be there around 10:30 or 11ish.

Can't help you on the 7.5 Swiss. If Dodge doesn't have it, maybe Goleta Valley Gun?

Michael303
10-19-2007, 7:51 AM
One thing I completely forgot about until today. Does anybody know if WCGC checks ammo with magnets like they do down in LA? I may need to reconsider which rifles I take if they do.

double_action
10-19-2007, 10:37 AM
I'll be at WCGC at about 9ish on Saturday.

vorpar
10-19-2007, 11:42 AM
They haven't checked my ammo before.

air soft rules!
10-21-2007, 3:48 AM
http://www.geocities.com/vorpar/1.txt
http://www.geocities.com/vorpar/2.txt
http://www.geocities.com/vorpar/3.txt

and here are some results, 100 yds. v-15 oll, ma parts 24" fluted barrel, a2 upper, open sights, cold bore 60 rounds shot only, standard battle zero 300m medium/gusty wind cond. 55gr boatails. i was 1 moa right,(thats two clicks for those of you in rio linda) found not necessary at pee wee range of 100 yds. barrel is still brand new not broke in less than 500 rds.

jumbopanda
10-21-2007, 3:16 PM
It was nice to do some shooting again, it's just too bad that I had a fever and had to bail out early. Didn't get to shoot a lot of guns that I wanted to, but I hope we can do this again sometime soon though. I also forgot to bring my glasses this time, DOH!

ghostwong
10-22-2007, 4:13 PM
Was up at Winchester yesterday, Sunday, If you don't know he closes at 3pm on Sunday. I got there at 2:45pm!!!

Michael303
10-22-2007, 6:58 PM
It was great to put some faces to the names I see on the forum. The morning started out cold and wet, but turned into a great day for shooting. Great to meet you all and I hope we can all do it again sometime soon.

DedEye
10-22-2007, 7:10 PM
Definitely, especially when the Glass Factory reopens and we can have a little more play/fun.