PDA

View Full Version : M14/M1A question

Prc329
10-06-2007, 10:27 PM
Can I use my normal front sight if I have my 22" barrel cut down to 18". I can't seem to locate this information. I have seen pics of rifles with 18" barrels with standard blade front sight but I can't seem to find out if this is the standard or NM front sight.

Addax
10-07-2007, 12:26 AM
Can I use my normal front sight if I have my 22" barrel cut down to 18". I can't seem to locate this information. I have seen pics of rifles with 18" barrels with standard blade front sight but I can't seem to find out if this is the standard or NM front sight.

If you are going to cut down a standard barrel from 22" to the 18", you need to make sure that the barrel is also machined/tapped to accept the Muzzlebrake body and the Crown Nut that screws onto the barrel thus securing the Muzzlebrake Assembly (If you want to stick with the standard Springfield Armory configuration.

You can also check out Smith Ent. and pick up one of their Gas Block front sights, and just have your barrel threaded to accept a muzzlebrake.

Prc329
10-07-2007, 12:46 AM
I am considering one of these if I can't get what I really want done.

http://www.smithenterprise.com/imagesprod/2013_GLFS-D-18.lg.jpg

The smith I am talking with I believe knows how to do this (threading for the brake, nut thingy).

Addax
10-07-2007, 1:45 AM
I am considering one of these if I can't get what I really want done.

http://www.smithenterprise.com/imagesprod/2013_GLFS-D-18.lg.jpg

The smith I am talking with I believe knows how to do this (threading for the brake, nut thingy).

If you are going with the Smith Sight, I don't think you will need to do anything else but just thread the barrel and use a Muzzle Brake, unless the Muzzle Brake is the Springfield one, but that would look weird, especially since it has the sight mounting / dovetail on it.

Go with the Smith Gas Cylinder sight system and one of the muzzlebrakes.

I think they show a 18" rifle on their site with that set up.

Josh
10-07-2007, 3:50 AM

Standard or NM is just the width of the blade. You should be able to adjust for the difference in the POI by just using the elevation.

Most people get the front sight shaved down if they seem to require excessive elevation to get back to POI.

polygunner
10-07-2007, 7:32 AM
I believe that the front sight is taller on a 18" barrel, by 1/8th inch or so.
Smith makes their gas lock front sight base in two different heights so you can use a standard front sight on either barrel length. If you go with the GLFS be sure to get the one for the shorter barrel.
There is way more info than you'll ever need on the M-14 forum.com.
Go there and do a search. You'll find what you need.
Good luck!

M-14's, the best battle rifle ever.
pg

gunshack
10-07-2007, 10:01 AM
I don't know what your smithy is charging to cut down your barrel, but LRB sells 18" Criterion barrels for $179, and chrome lined (which I recommend) Criterions for $229. Concidering the cost of having a machinist cut and re-thread the barrel, and cut the flash hider splines on the muzzle, you may not be too far off from just getting a new barrel and keeping yours as a spare.

To answer your original question, Polygunner is right. You'd need a taller front sight or a taller base. Both are available from SEI.

Prc329
10-07-2007, 10:21 AM
I have a chrome lined barrel already and really didn't want to deal with installing a new barrel. I'm pretty sure it is not AR15 plug and play. So wouldn't the cost still be more to install a new barrel?

gunshack
10-07-2007, 10:43 AM
To do it right, the gunsmith will have to remove the barrel before he machines it. Another issue is the fact that the barrel is already chrome lined...

When the machinist cuts the barrel, the chrome lining is likely to chip at the muzzle and render the barrel useless. Call Ron Smith at SEI and discuss the situation with him. He's a plethora of information on this subject.

Addax
10-07-2007, 10:52 AM
To do it right, the gunsmith will have to remove the barrel before he machines it. Another issue is the fact that the barrel is already chrome lined...

When the machinist cuts the barrel, the chrome lining is likely to chip at the muzzle and render the barrel useless. Call Ron Smith at SEI and discuss the situation with him. He's a plethora of information on this subject.

I believe Springfield Armory had that issue when they tried to make the M1A Bush rifle years ago, so they opted to mfg. (or have mfg'd for them) new 18" barrels, but they were not chrome lined if I am not mistaken.

Prc329
10-07-2007, 10:58 AM
The gunsmith I am planning on using is experienced with chrome lined barrels so that won't be an issue.

gunshack
10-07-2007, 11:15 AM
Well, I'm a skeptic when it comes to these things. I can see filling the bore with lead and then cutting it. That might be enough to avoid the chipped chrome issue, but what's it all worth? Is the smith going to temper the barrel after filling with 700 degre lead?

If the barrel you currently have is a USGI barrel, you may have a barrel that is worth half again what a new Criterion would cost (simply speaking $$, not function.) You might still be better off getting a Criterion and selling the GI barrel. Just a thought.

This is just me, but I cringe at the thought of cutting up surplus GI parts. I guess I'm just a crotchety purist in that regard.

Prc329
10-07-2007, 11:19 AM
If it was GI it wouldn't happen. It is Chinese so I figured screw it. If it al goes down hill I will buy a new one.

gunshack
10-07-2007, 11:44 AM
Copy That! Cut away.