PDA

View Full Version : Proper hold for a Glock

sammy
10-06-2007, 6:37 PM
What is the proper grip for a Glock? I got use to a 1911 style hold where ( I am a right handed shooter) my left thumb sits on top if the saftey and the other sits on top of the left. It is a very secure grip but I think I will have problems with it on the Glock. With this grip the left thumb will sit on top of the slide release. I cannot find a comfortable place for my thumbs not riding on the slide release. Where do you Glock guys and gals place your thumbs when gripping a Glock? Thanks, Sammy

timmy8151
10-06-2007, 6:43 PM
I use thumbs forward grip with my Glock 19 and catch myself riding the slide release as well. The result has been the slide not holding back after the last round of a magazine. I have practiced my grip enough so it doesnt ride it as often.

There is also a company that make a thumb rest for Glocks. I havent tried their product but it looks interesting:
http://www.smartlock.com/products-r.htm

CSDGuy
10-06-2007, 6:52 PM
I use a thumbs forward grip as well. My right thumb essentially rests on top of my left thumb's 1st knuckle. Very secure for me and I have no issues inadvertently activating the slide release. Otherwise my grip is as high up on the handgrip/backstrap (to borrow from revolver terms) as I can go without getting bit by the slide. I don't notice the recoil that much anyway, but this definitely helps me.

CavTrooper
10-06-2007, 6:52 PM
Hold the Glock with your thumb and forefinger, move over a trashcan and release. go to the shop and pick yourself a Springfield. :D

CSDGuy
10-06-2007, 6:58 PM
Hold the Glock with your thumb and forefinger, move over a trashcan and release. go to the shop and pick yourself a Springfield. :D
Funny, I have one of those too. (1911A-1) :D

If you're used to shooting steel/metal framed pistols, shooting polymer guns can feel a little weird at first. The first time I shot one, I really could feel the frame flex. It was a little odd.

railroader
10-06-2007, 7:36 PM
I shoot thumbs forward and I haven't had any problems with the slide release on my glock 17. It has the stock slide release not the extended version so I don't ride it with my thumb. I use to have a HS2000(pre springfield XD) and I would bump the slide stop quite often and make the slide not lock back after the last round. Mark

want_ar
10-06-2007, 8:28 PM
What is the proper grip for a Glock? I got use to a 1911 style hold where ( I am a right handed shooter) my left thumb sits on top if the saftey and the other sits on top of the left.

Notice Todd Jarrett's grip on his 1911s. Thumbs forward. Best grip IMHO. He explains it. Every handgunner should watch this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ysa50-plo48

Greg-Dawg
10-06-2007, 9:46 PM
I place my strong thumb on the receiver's thumb indention.

Also, it depends what size Glock receiver you're referring to. I seem to grip a full size receiver different compared to a compact receiver.

CalNRA
10-06-2007, 11:33 PM
hmm.

my strong thumb points ahead right below the slide release, supported by the weak thumb also pointing ahead.

this way I shoot my 4 inch polymer 45 almost as well as my full size SAs. ALmost, not quite, but almost.

PLINK
10-06-2007, 11:40 PM
I use a thumbs forward grip as well. My right thumb essentially rests on top of my left thumb's 1st knuckle.

I do this as well.

I do not put my left index finger on the front of the trigger guard like I see some do.

ts
10-07-2007, 3:30 AM
Bird Man Sights? Anyone have the poster?