PDA

View Full Version : Mosin Nagant Stock

McNally M.
02-26-2013, 12:09 AM
Attached is a photo of a Mosin stock with a circle of some sort stamped into the wood. What is it? I've only every seen a few. After having refinished one of my wartime stocks I noticed the remnants of what I believe was this symbol. I must have missed it when I had the stock was in its original shellack and the light sanding I did when I refinished made it even fainter. I'm afraid I may have obliterated something unique or rare in my ignorance.

Chaos47
02-26-2013, 1:02 AM
Soviet cartouche

Very common to be missing or sanded down on an arsenal refinished stock.

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinMarks01.htm

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/RSFSR.jpg

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/SovietStock_small.jpg

mosinnagantm9130
02-26-2013, 1:44 AM
Soviet crest, but to my knowledge it was only stamped on Izhevsk stocks.

It is relatively uncommon...I would pay a slight premium for a mosin with that stamp vs. an identical rifle without it.

yellowsled
02-26-2013, 3:18 AM
Attached is a photo of a Mosin stock with a circle of some sort stamped into the wood. What is it? I've only every seen a few. After having refinished one of my wartime stocks I noticed the remnants of what I believe was this symbol. I must have missed it when I had the stock was in its original shellack and the light sanding I did when I refinished made it even fainter. I'm afraid I may have obliterated something unique or rare in my ignorance.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :(

McNally M.
02-26-2013, 9:41 AM
Ahh dang it. Here I am thinking that I am a staunch purist trying to convince any calgunner that wants to budda his Mosin to leave it be, and the one time I go against my own grain I do it on something of considerable rarity. Additionally, the stock was off an ex-sniper, you could tell by the stock repair on the left side. But in my defense the stock was in poor shape. What shellack was still present was starting to chip away and it made for an unpleasant experience when taking the rifle out to shoot. It was the only spare stock I had to work with, so I did the dumb thing that I did and tried to "beautify" it. It does look considerably better and I attempted to apply what looks like the dark reddish arctic birch finish that some war time stocks have, but alas all of it was done at the expense of history. Oh, what I dummie I am...

gwgn02
02-26-2013, 8:00 PM
Ahh dang it. Here I am thinking that I am a staunch purist trying to convince any calgunner that wants to budda his Mosin to leave it be, and the one time I go against my own grain I do it on something of considerable rarity. Additionally, the stock was off an ex-sniper, you could tell by the stock repair on the left side. But in my defense the stock was in poor shape. What shellack was still present was starting to chip away and it made for an unpleasant experience when taking the rifle out to shoot. It was the only spare stock I had to work with, so I did the dumb thing that I did and tried to "beautify" it. It does look considerably better and I attempted to apply what looks like the dark reddish arctic birch finish that some war time stocks have, but alas all of it was done at the expense of history. Oh, what I dummie I am...

Pic?

macman9
02-26-2013, 8:30 PM
Next time dont sand The Stock to remove The old finish. Use furiture paste stripper. And wash it of with laquer thinner or acatone. Thinner wont raise The grain and you wont have to sand hardly at all. I finish cabinets and refinish cabinets and furiture for a living.

Vlad 11
02-26-2013, 8:53 PM
Next time dont sand The Stock to remove The old finish. Use furniture paste stripper.

You dont even need sandpaper or any type of stripper for a refurb Mosin. Its finish is shellack , a rubdown with a rag and denatured alchol and the shellack melts right away. Not that i would advocate a refinsh

If you must, get a replacement stock from AIM while they still have em for $20. But even those are in decent shape anyway

macman9
02-26-2013, 9:38 PM
Denatured alcohol wont clean then wood very well. Thinner or acetone will clean all The old finish and any Grease and oil of The wood. The wood has to clean good or The new finish wont stick to The wood. And u will have delamination. And The finish will start to chip or peel off.
And If Its just shellack Thats on The stock acatone will take If off real Easy. And it wont take very Long to dry so u can stain and Apply The new finish real quick.

C&Rtrader
02-26-2013, 11:00 PM
You dont even need sandpaper or any type of stripper for a refurb Mosin. Its finish is shellack , a rubdown with a rag and denatured alchol and the shellack melts right away. Not that i would advocate a refinsh

If you must, get a replacement stock from AIM while they still have em for $20. But even those are in decent shape anyway

^^ this. dont apply a new finish. Just get rid of the shellac using denatured alcohol..... that stuff melts the shellac right off. use a light soap on the wood if you must. Leave the sandpaper in the drawer :)

McNally M.
02-27-2013, 12:25 AM
All great tips guys. I should've asked before I acted. Should I ever decide to refinish a mosin stock (I won't) I will be sure to keep all these golden tips in mind. You can trust me though, I've certainly learned my lesson.

McNally M.
02-27-2013, 1:35 AM

I capitalized on their 3 stocks for $49 deal before they sold out. I sent in my order about two weeks ago and got two post war and one war time stock all in pretty good shape. Alas, no cartouches though. They are indeed not that common and probably only exist on pre war or war time stocks. Post war stocks are too clean.

By the way, how often does AIM sell Mosin stocks like that? I've known about them for only about a year now and already I've seen them offer some amazing deals on Mosin related items. I bought a few of those ammo pouches when they were getting rid of them for $.50 each. That was the best deal around, likewise with these stocks.

mosinnagantm9130
02-27-2013, 2:36 PM
I capitalized on their 3 stocks for $49 deal before they sold out. I sent in my order about two weeks ago and got two post war and one war time stock all in pretty good shape. Alas, no cartouches though. They are indeed not that common and probably only exist on pre war or war time stocks. Post war stocks are too clean.

By the way, how often does AIM sell Mosin stocks like that? I've known about them for only about a year now and already I've seen them offer some amazing deals on Mosin related items. I bought a few of those ammo pouches when they were getting rid of them for $.50 each. That was the best deal around, likewise with these stocks.

I don't know if they used that cartouche on post war 91/30 stocks, but they certainly did on post war M44s.

mosinnagantm9130
02-27-2013, 2:37 PM
my tula sniper has one... faint but there with the star

Can you post a closer pic of that star? It looks...odd somehow. Not like the other Tula stars I've seen on stocks.

McNally M.
02-27-2013, 11:52 PM
How many wartime stocks have you guys seen that have the small metal escutcheon on both the front and rear sling slots? The stock that I refinished has it feature. I've seen dozens of wartime stocks that have the metal escutcheon tab on the front slot but not the back. However mine has it on both.

billmaykafer
03-07-2013, 9:02 AM
How many wartime stocks have you guys seen that have the small metal escutcheon on both the front and rear sling slots? The stock that I refinished has it feature. I've seen dozens of wartime stocks that have the metal escutcheon tab on the front slot but not the back. However mine has it on both.

1943 and 1944 had both partial escutcheons. 1945 was same as post war.1942 and 1941 and 1940 had only on front slot. 1939 and older had the 4 that had 2 screws holding them to stock.

Marcus von W.
03-07-2013, 10:28 PM
1943 and 1944 had both partial escutcheons. 1945 was same as post war.1942 and 1941 and 1940 had only on front slot. 1939 and older had the 4 that had 2 screws holding them to stock.

NO.
The screwed in sling slot escutcheons were used up into late 1941-early '42. In early '42 IZHEVSK (not Tula) went to the stamped and folded sheet metal "half liner" in the front sling slot and a screwed in escutcheon in the rear one. A little later in '42 they went to stocks that had an unlined wood rear sling slot and the "half-liner" in the front. Sometime in early '43 they started putting a half-liner in the rear slot also.

Very late in 1943 Izhevsk went to the pressed in oval escutcheons in both slots, which Tula was already using. However, a few of the half-liner stocks were still used up into early 1944 at Izhevsk.

The pressed in oval escutcheons were also used on post-war stocks, which has caused some folks to mistakenly and incorrectly refer to this style as "post-war". Not sure which war they think ended in 1943, but it wasn't WW2.

With 91/30 stocks, you can tell a post-war (or at least very late war) one with the pressed in escutcheons from a wartime period one by the dovetailed in toe piece on the stock. Laminated carbine stocks went to the separate toe piece in early 1944, but rifle stocks kept the 1 piece buttstock up to at least very late 1945, and maybe later.