PDA

View Full Version : Springfield Armory pc9111lr v. pc9112

gcrtkd
10-05-2007, 11:51 PM
I've searched around for the answer to this but no dice... here goes...

For those of you in the know... What is the difference between the Springfield Armory pc9111lr and the pc9112? Near as I can tell the only difference seems to be that the pc9111lr has the short light rail and the pc9112 has a full light rail. (Well, that and the 9111 comes with 6 mags while the 9112 comes with only 2.) Are these really just the same guns with 2 different light rail setups? Other differences?

-thanks!
gcrtkd

gmcal
10-06-2007, 12:07 AM
The custom operator has a bull barrel, adjustable sights, and a 2 piece magwell. The custom operator model PC9112 is not approved for sale in CA.

The PC9111lr is on the approved list and is the "FBI gun".

gcrtkd
10-06-2007, 7:51 PM
Thanks gmcal--

Looking over the document I've compiled (yes, I bring nerdiness to a whole new level) to compare the "FBI gun" PC9111LR with the "Custom Operator" PC9112, I see the differences in features that you describe. A couple of questions come to mind though... dunno' if anyone will know the answers, but here goes...

-Why didn't SA use a bull barrel on the PC9111LR? Or did they use something even better for that gun?
-Is there a significant difference between the 1 piece magwell and the 2 piecer?
-If the PC9112 were approved for sale in CA, which one would you get?

-thanks

gmcal
10-06-2007, 11:56 PM
-Why didn't SA use a bull barrel on the PC9111LR? Or did they use something even better for that gun?
-Is there a significant difference between the 1 piece magwell and the 2 piecer?
-If the PC9112 were approved for sale in CA, which one would you get?

1) The PC9111lr, if I remember correctly, was built to FBI specs. If the FBI wanted a traditional setup, that is what was built.

2)Not that I'm aware of except the obvious difference of 1 piece vs. 2 pieces. The 1 piece is a Smith & Alexander which I have on my Kimber. Very nice product. The 2 piece is Springfield. There are some 2 piece magwells that can be separated so that you can have a traditional length main spring housing or add the second piece and have the extended magwell. Springfields' 2 piece magwell is not like that, Wilson does have a 2 piece magwell that can used extended or traditional length.

3) I'm currently considering a PC9111 with or without light rail, along with a couple of others. Even if the PC9112 was available I'd still go with the FBI gun. The FBI gun has fixed sights the other has adustable sights, which I wouldn't want on a fighting type gun. I also prefer a standard barrel w/bushing setup over a bull barrel. The resale on the FBI gun would likely be better given its history. The PC9112 may have a longer wait due to the frame. The last I heard, Springfield doesn't make the full light rail frames very often.

gmcal
10-07-2007, 12:04 AM
I just reread the SA online catalogue and it states the PC9112 has a traditional recoil spring guide so it may in fact use a standard barrel and bushing. I'd recommend calling SA to verify.

jlh287
01-09-2010, 9:31 PM
I own a PC9112 Custom Operator. It has a full length guide rail. I have shot it side by side with a nighthawk and a wilson, and it is FAR more accurate. I have a kimber custom tle that was wilson customized as my backup. Part of the accuracy is the extra weight of that rail that helps with recoil, but even in the base springfield operator with full light rail which I also own, the accuracy is incredible, considering that gun is about $900.