PDA

View Full Version : I just got a great Dillon deal!

smogcity
10-05-2007, 5:40 PM
I just picked up a gently used near mint Dillon xl650 with low powder buzzer, high mount, upgraded pull lever, and a few other bells and whistles for $250...:)

NRAhighpowershooter
10-05-2007, 6:55 PM
That's not a deal.. that a STEAL!!!!!

ar15barrels
10-05-2007, 7:48 PM
Did it have the casefeeder as well?

Kruzr
10-05-2007, 8:04 PM
The guy is going to be mad when he opens his garage and finds his press is gone. :)

Better than a great deal!

thedrickel
10-05-2007, 8:07 PM
How'd you swing that? Craigslist?

WokMaster1
10-05-2007, 8:21 PM
I don't know anything about reloading.:43: So is this like Hillary giving you the key to her house & winking at you after she mouthed off "Grrrrrrrr! Your arse is mine tonite!"

smogcity
10-05-2007, 10:05 PM
An old friend offered it to me. I've never reloaded but it was way too good of a deal to turn up. :Ivan:

He used to shoot and reload alot but doesn't very much anymore. He still has the top of the line Dillon 1050 and didn't need both..No case feeder but most other options.

Now I need 9,45,and 223 die sets, tumbler, and scale....Most of all i need to take the reloading class at Angeles to learn how the hell to use it:confused:

ar15barrels
10-05-2007, 10:11 PM
No case feeder but most other options.

Without a casefeeder, the 650 is only a marginal improvement over the 550.
I would recommend getting the casefeeder right away.

Wulf
10-05-2007, 10:18 PM
This sounds like one of those deals where some lady follows her husband around, finds him sleeping with his secretary, and sells his Porsche for $100 bucks to some guy in the parking lot of the hotel where he's doing it.

ghostwong
10-07-2007, 3:30 PM
IF you want to sell of the unit for 300.00 just let me know, I'll be the first in line!! If you decide to sell

bwiese
10-08-2007, 10:16 AM
So with a price that cheap you have no excuse to not buy the automatic bullet feeder too (IIRC, around ~$500 + $125 per caliber change).

Paratus et Vigilans
10-08-2007, 10:58 AM
Get the case feeder, and get their video on how to set up the XL650 and use it, and that's all you'll need to be good to go. I'd never reloaded in my life, got my XL650 and all the goodies from Brian Enos, watched the video a couple of times, and that was it . . . Dillon's stuff and its really good video instruction will get you there.

Wow. $250. That's a tenth of what I invested! Good for you! Spend the difference on materials and supplies! And have fun! :D

Paratus et Vigilans
10-08-2007, 11:07 AM
get the low primer buzzer also.also the powder level checker.it tells you whether or not you have to little or to much powder.get a digital scale they are alot easier than the level kind. digital caliper is a great help.oh ya hand a bullet puller.go with carbide dies

+1 on all that, except maybe for the powder level checker. I skipped that option on Brian Enos' advice, and am not sorry I did. However, I would be sure to have the low primer warning buzzer, for sure. Also, you'll want to get a second powder drop unit so you don't have to change out the measure bar when you go from rifle to pistol rounds. Set one up for rifle rounds and one up for pistol rounds, and then it's just two hex head screws to loosen to swap 'em out. Also, to really make the best use of its quick change design, get a tool head for each set of dies you're going to use, and once you've got 'em set up in the tool head, leave 'em that way. Two pins to pull and swap out the powder drop, and you're on to the next caliber, with maybe a change of the primer system too from small to large or vice versa (get two of them, too, which makes it way easier to go between primer sizes - .45 ACP takes large, and 9mm and .223 takes small).

Enjoy!

ar15barrels
10-08-2007, 1:57 PM
The powder checker that checks each case is a must-have.
You can't double charge or load a squib if you have this.
You don't need the low powder sensor for the powder measure.
The powder checker will ring if you run out of powder in the powder measure.

smogcity
10-09-2007, 5:19 AM
Thanks for the great advice! I'm excited to get started. One question, My friend was telling me something about .223 crimped primers and how I needed a "swager" to remove the old primers from the case..What does that mean/is that correct?

mecam
10-09-2007, 6:49 AM
One question, My friend was telling me something about .223 crimped primers and how I needed a "swager" to remove the old primers from the case..What does that mean/is that correct?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=71437

-

smogcity
10-09-2007, 4:19 PM
Thanks! Got it..