PDA

View Full Version : Taurus 24/7 for first gun? any good?

tempdrummer
10-05-2007, 1:31 PM
Ok, been searching through the threads on here and read some not so great reviews of the Taurus line. However Ive noticed on many sites that the 24/7 Pro seems to be better than their previous stuff. Anyone on here got any opinions on the 24/7 Pro? (4" barrel) This would be my first gun and mainly just for range use in either 9mm or 40 s&w. I planned on the XD40 but money is a little tight and they sell the 24/7 Pro's for $339 here. Good idea? or bad? Thanks for any advice. :D

Stormfeather
10-05-2007, 1:36 PM
Ive seen both good and bad with the 24/7. Good being its a economical gun, easy to shoot, and a great beginers gun. Bad parts is the takedown lever. Once you pull it out, I think theres a wire clip that usually is a PITA to get back where it needs to be or sometimes breaks. My honest opinion would be save yoru money and get a XD. Alot of gunshops will even let you put 50-75% down on a gun and start the dros. after your 10 days, come in pay it off and pick it up! It never hurts to ask the sales people at a gunshop if they are willing to do a payment program. I always put down at least 50% though, usually 75% just to show im serious about it.

neomentat
10-05-2007, 1:43 PM
NOoooo don't do it, the couple of hundred dollars you save by buying a Taurus gun is not worth it.

you will spend far more shipping the gun back and forth to use that life time warranty. Some Taurus guns are good but it's hit or miss, I made the mistake of buying a Taurus before and ended up sending it back to the factory twice for repair, in the end I sold it for another $150 loss to get rid of the headache.

KenpoProfessor
10-05-2007, 2:07 PM
I've got the 24/7 in 9mm and it hasn't missed a beat, and it's got a great feel in the hand (well, as opposed to anywhere else you may hold it :D).

Reminds me, I gotta get it out the range this weekend.

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

gose
10-05-2007, 2:19 PM
I'm a very firm believer of not buying anything with Taurus on it. Way too many bad stories come with that name.

Kelvrick
10-05-2007, 3:05 PM
Where are you located? I would think you could find an XD or MP for a bit more (low 400).

tempdrummer
10-05-2007, 3:41 PM
Im located in San Diego. Ive been to a few shops this week but I have a few more to go to still. I havent seen an XD below $550 around here yet. I appreciate all the help so far. Seems like I should stick with the XD.

randy
10-05-2007, 10:11 PM
Taurus is Junk

vega
10-06-2007, 9:38 AM
I planned on the XD40 but money is a little tight and they sell the 24/7 Pro's for $339 here. Good idea? or bad? Thanks for any advice. :D
Did the PRO made it on the list? Where is "$339 here"?

tempdrummer
10-06-2007, 10:04 AM
Yes they are on the list. They have them at Discount gun mart in San Diego (here)

Ghugly
10-06-2007, 10:43 AM
I don't have an opinion on the Taurus, other than I've heard that their warranty is first rate, and the $320 price you've mentioned seems to be a really good one, for that model. I do, however have an opinion concerning a first gun.

Get something that fits you. There will be some guns that you will be able to hit with, from the first time you pick them up, and some that you will have to learn to shoot. All the praise and glowing reviews in the world won't mean a thing if you find that you can't hit anything with your new wondergun. If it is at all possible, try shooting a gun like the one you are interested in. A lot of pistol ranges have rental guns. The two center fire pistols that I would recommend as being the easiest to shoot and hit with are the 1911 .45 and the 9MM Makarov. Of the two, the Makarov is by far the least expensive and, so far, everyone who has shot mine has fallen in love with it. If target and can shooting and not defense duty is what you have in mind, think seriously about getting a .22 as a first gun. My personal favorite is a Ruger auto .22. It's really hard to beat a .22 automatic and a brick of cheap .22 ammo for a fun days shooting. And, if you buy used, chances are, you will be able to shoot the snot out of it and sell it later for as much, or more, than you paid for it.

At any rate, whatever your choice, good luck to you and best wishes for many years of safe, shooting fun.

MudCamper
10-06-2007, 2:53 PM
I own 2 Taurus's and have had no problems with either. (a PT92 and PT145Pro) All I know about the 24/7 is it's extremely comfortable in the hand.

No matter what brand of firearm you ask about, there will be some people with horror stories. Roll the dice. Odds are you'll be lucky and will enjoy the purchase.

PonyFiveO
10-06-2007, 3:33 PM
I had the pleasure of handling a 24/7 Pro in .40 that my friend recently purchased. Right out of the box, without even an initial cleaning, it fed all 100 rounds of WWB we put through it without a hiccup. It placed the shots where I wanted them to go and felt great in the hand. I would not hesitate to purchase one, especially for $339.

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ga_handguns/trialsoss_042607/

tempdrummer
10-06-2007, 6:16 PM
I recently had the pleasure of handling a 24/7 Pro in .40 that my friend recently purchased. It fed all 100 rounds of WWB we put through it without a hiccup. It placed the shots where I wanted them to go and felt great in the hand. I would not hesitate to purchase, one especially for $339.

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ga_handguns/trialsoss_042607/

Yeah I have to agree with that. Seems like everytime I search for topics on a certain model its almost always about 50/50. Regardless, all these comments are a lot of help. Thanks! :D

neomentat
10-06-2007, 10:27 PM
the problem with gun magazine reviews is that it'll never site anything negative. first of all the particular piece they get for testing is probably "pretested" by manufacture before being sent, second of all these gun writers profit from writing favorable reviews about the guns they're collecting advertising fees from, thus i their opinions are biased.

Taurus are crappy guns and it's not that much cheaper than a reputable brand, if you buy the Taurus then after your cash flow frees up a little you will most likely regret not purchasing the better gun to begin with.

WokMaster1
10-06-2007, 11:21 PM
Ok, been searching through the threads on here and read some not so great reviews of the Taurus line. However Ive noticed on many sites that the 24/7 Pro seems to be better than their previous stuff. Anyone on here got any opinions on the 24/7 Pro? (4" barrel) This would be my first gun and mainly just for range use in either 9mm or 40 s&w. I planned on the XD40 but money is a little tight and they sell the 24/7 Pro's for $339 here. Good idea? or bad? Thanks for any advice. :D

First gun
Money's tight
mainly for range use

get a ruger mk III & practice & practice. Then move up from there.

tempdrummer
10-07-2007, 5:26 AM
gonna go check out the S&W M&P and the Steyr M9-A1 today, as well as look for any deals on an XD. Also gonna check out the various .22lr pistols (ruger etc.) Gonna just spend a little more and get something that I dont have to worry about. :driving:

vega
10-07-2007, 9:52 AM
gonna go check out the S&W M&P and the Steyr M9-A1 today, as well as look for any deals on an XD. Also gonna check out the various .22lr pistols (ruger etc.) Gonna just spend a little more and get something that I dont have to worry about. :driving:

Ow cmon, stay focus. I want to hear a report from someone who actuall have the "PRO series". I just gave them (here) a call and yes they will sell it.;)

TKM
10-07-2007, 1:29 PM
If this is your first handgun purchased in California, stand by for a surprise.

Especially if you're really tight on funds.

It's probably safe to add $100 to the purchase price by the time you get done paying off the state.

tempdrummer
10-07-2007, 8:06 PM
If this is your first handgun purchased in California, stand by for a surprise.

Especially if you're really tight on funds.

It's probably safe to add $100 to the purchase price by the time you get done paying off the state.

Yeah, ive done my studying. Thats part of the reason why I was looking for something "cheaper" since all the add ons. I came up with a little extra cash so im in the clear. Just gotta decide and then play the waiting game :D

ajl2121
10-14-2007, 4:38 AM
The couple hundred that you could save from getting a gun that is a few hundred dollars less is not really worth it. I mean, shooting is an expensive hobby. I just spent $150 at walmart buying ammo. Get something quality if at all possible i.e. glock, hk, xd, sig. After a few months of shooting, you will have realized that you could have gotten those for all the money you spent thus far.

vega
10-14-2007, 6:39 AM
The couple hundred that you could save from getting a gun that is a few hundred dollars less is not really worth it. I mean, shooting is an expensive hobby. I just spent $150 at walmart buying ammo. Get something quality if at all possible i.e. glock, hk, xd, sig. After a few months of shooting, you will have realized that you could have gotten those for all the money you spent thus far.
I have to ask this, did you have the pleasure or were you unfortunate of owning one (24/7 [B]PRO[B])? I do believe lots of Glock owners said the same thing about XD when it first came out. And lots of 1911 diehards are still saying the same thing about Glock.

Try reloading, it will not save you money but you get to shoot more with the same amount.

swift
10-14-2007, 7:23 AM
I shot 2 Taurus handguns and both were crap. I'd recommend not to buy one.

maxicon
10-14-2007, 9:48 AM
I shot 2 Taurus handguns and both were crap. I'd recommend not to buy one.

Which ones did you shoot, and what didn't you like about them?