PDA

View Full Version : Giuliani and Gun Control

AggregatVier
10-05-2007, 7:30 AM
Excerpts from an MSNBC story (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21124453/)

When a National Rifle Association member opposed a ban on assault rifles in 1994, Mr. Giuliani really got annoyed.

“Now the reason why the N.R.A. has lost all credibility is statements like that,” he said. “By definition these are attack weapons. They are used for offense. It really is absolutely astounding that the N.R.A. continues to have influence in areas in which they make no sense at all.”

In 1994, Mr. Giuliani applauded President Bill Clinton for banning assault rifles and urged Congress to enact physical and written tests and stringent background checks for prospective handgun owners.

No wonder he got a call from the "wife" (staffer) during his NRA speech.

Josh3239
10-05-2007, 2:03 PM
More from Rudy:

Rudy Giuliani addressed a potentially troublesome issue with conservative voters, saying his policies as mayor to get handguns off the street helped reduce crime in New York. "I used gun control as mayor," he said at a news conference, "but I understand the Second Amendment. I understand the right to bear arms." He said what he did as mayor would have no effect on hunting.

On June 20th [2000], I was pleased to announce that the City of New York filed a lawsuit against two dozen major gun manufacturers and distributors. This is an industry which profits from the suffering of innocent people. The lawsuit is intended to end the free pass that the gun industry has enjoyed for a very long time, which has resulted in too many avoidable deaths.

N6ATF
10-05-2007, 2:24 PM
Excerpts from an MSNBC story (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21124453/)

When a National Rifle Association member opposed a ban on assault rifles in 1994, Mr. Giuliani really got annoyed.

“Now the reason why the N.R.A. has lost all credibility is statements like that,” he said. “By definition these are attack weapons. They are used for offense. It really is absolutely astounding that the N.R.A. continues to have influence in areas in which they make no sense at all.”

In 1994, Mr. Giuliani applauded President Bill Clinton for banning assault rifles and urged Congress to enact physical and written tests and stringent background checks for prospective handgun owners.

No wonder he got a call from the "wife" (staffer) during his NRA speech.

Sounded like to me he was starting to recite the 4th Amendment and after the call, correctly switched to the 2nd which he was originally supposed to say.