PDA

View Full Version : Smith & Wesson Model 17-6: Three-Year Seach Over

SJshooter
10-04-2007, 9:56 PM
A year ago next week, I was complaining in the forum about not being about to find a Model 17-6 in California. Someone emailed me the same day to tip me off to one for sale nearby. It had a six-inch barrel, and I wanted four, but in this crazy state you take what you can get so I bought it and love it - what a tackdriver.

Then two months ago I told the above anecdote in the forum and someone again tipped me off -- this time to the four-inch I had been seeking. The shop was too far away for me to get to before the gun was gone, so this forum member bought the gun for me and held it for two months until we could mesh our schedules and do a private-party-transfer (about 45 mins of paperwork in this state).

Let me tell you, it was WELL worth the wait. The gun came with original box and papers, a set of numbered factory combat grips to die for, unblemished deep blueing, and I am not sure it has been shot. A cherry find for full-underlug lovers in any state, but especially where I live. I finally picked it up today.

Here she is:

http://bushnell.smugmug.com/photos/204205562-L.jpg
http://bushnell.smugmug.com/photos/204205606-L.jpg

I threw on some really gorgeous factory targets to see how she matched up with the 586 that she's the trainer for. I'd say pretty well:

http://bushnell.smugmug.com/photos/204205644-L.jpg

The original plan was to sell/trade the six-inch 17-6 (very back) for something I wanted more since I now have the four-inch 17-6 I was originally after. But I'm having a hard time with the idea of parting with it. And the full-lug brothers here all look so happy together:

http://bushnell.smugmug.com/photos/204205674-L.jpg

At the end of the day, my favorite stocks are smooth factory targets, and my grip-stuffed safe had just the pair - some really blonde wood grain ones that I think make a perfect match:

http://bushnell.smugmug.com/photos/204205720-L.jpg

The SoCal Gunner
10-04-2007, 10:20 PM
Those look amazing good, guns and stocks. It's pictures of guns like these that make me want to start a revolver collection.

ar15barrels
10-04-2007, 10:25 PM
I have a 6" 10 shot 17-8.
It's one sweet shooting 22.

I also know about keeping the S&W family together.
I have a 3" model 60 in 38spl, a 4" 686 and a 5" 629classic.
That's the baby, the mom and the pop, all stainless guns with full lugs and adjustable sights.

bigthaiboy
10-05-2007, 12:23 AM
The original plan was to sell/trade the six-inch 17-6 (very back) for something I wanted more since I now have the four-inch 17-6 I was originally after. But I'm having a hard time with the idea of parting with it. And the full-lug brothers here all look so happy together:

If finances are not an issue, then keep the 6". You'll miss her if part with her.

Beautiful photography BTW. Makes those revolvers look a million dollars. It's your fault, now you've made me want a 17-6.

Sheldon
10-05-2007, 6:29 AM
Amazing and fantastic for a forum member to dish out money to secure it for you.....kudos to that person!!!! I too have 2 of the S&W revolvers only mine are the 617 model. I have one of the 6-shot ones without the lock and mim and a newer model 10-shot with the lock and mim. Both are really fun to shoot. Yours look great!

trashman
10-05-2007, 7:36 AM
Nice lookin' gun, SJshooter. I'd echo the advice to keep the 6"-er (i.e., both guns) as well.

Great photos, too!!!

--Neill

maxicon
10-05-2007, 8:24 AM
Beautiful guns, great photography!

I looked for a Model 17 for quite some time, and never did have any luck - I picked up a few other .22 revolvers, but they just leave me wanting the 17 that much more. The 4" is about as perfect a large-frame .22 as you can ask for.

The sad part is hitting gun shows in Arizona, where you'll see several of them for very reasonable prices.

I guess it's time to start looking again!

SJshooter
10-05-2007, 8:36 AM
Amazing and fantastic for a forum member to dish out money to secure it for you.....kudos to that person!!!!

You don't know the half of it. When we finally met up at a mid-point gun shop to do the 45-mins of DROS paperwork, he wouldn't even let me buy him some ammo as a thank you, despite the fact that he bought the gun on my behalf without meeting me and before I could send him the money, then went out of his way to get it to me. Gun people are the best people.

QuarterBoreGunner
10-05-2007, 9:23 AM
That's a great story.

ivanimal
10-05-2007, 12:25 PM
You don't know the half of it. When we finally met up at a mid-point gun shop to do the 45-mins of DROS paperwork, he wouldn't even let me buy him some ammo as a thank you, despite the fact that he bought the gun on my behalf without meeting me and before I could send him the money, then went out of his way to get it to me. Gun people are the best people.

Brothers in arms.

fireblast713
10-06-2007, 8:51 AM
How much did these set you back? I have a 17-3 and I'm curious how much it's worth.

Californio
10-06-2007, 11:02 AM
Great Story:)

Beautiful Guns, keep the 6"