PDA

View Full Version : DROS proof of residency question for FFL's *Problem solved

Kelvrick
10-04-2007, 4:39 PM
EDIT: Thanks rkt and CWM. Didn't want to reply and bump a useless thread. Ended up just going to the DMV during my lunch break and getting a new reg card.

Does the proof of residency need to show your current residing address?

Purchasers of handguns are also required to provide proof of California residency, such as a utility bill, residential lease, property deed, or government-issued identification (other than a drivers license or other DMV-issued identification).

Found here:
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs.php#7

Sorry if its painfully obvious, but I just don't want to have a hitch in my purchase. I have a handgun getting shipped into state (state legal) to a local FFL. I've also recently moved and submitted a change of address with the pos office. Now, I don't have any utility bills and was counting my car registration which came in today which still shows my last address! Will this cause a problem with the DROS?

rkt88edmo
10-04-2007, 5:24 PM
Just remember, it doesn't mattter what other FFLs say, but only what the FFL you want to do your transaction says.

Unfortunately/fortunately, not all are of the same opinion.

In my experience, using an address that did not match my DMV address did not DQ my DROS. I did have proof of residency for my current address.

I don't think your FFL or the DOJ will know what your address is with the postal service.

CWM4A1
10-04-2007, 5:43 PM
At least from what CA DOJ told my boss, three out of four needs to have the same address and your 2nd proof needs to be one of them. The four documents are:

Driver License
DROS
2nd Proof

So let's say your 2nd proof of residency is different from your DL, as long as you put the same address on your 4473 and DROS as your 2nd proof, you should be okay. However, as rkt88 said, if your FFL require all item to agree on one address... time to go to DMV and have your DL address changed.

Someguy925
10-05-2007, 1:06 PM
I've had the same experience as well. I filled out my current address, but my driver's license and car insurance card matches for a different address (pernament address in my case). Never had any kind of problems.

Stormfeather
10-05-2007, 1:41 PM
Ive always been under the understanding that anything from a city/state/federal agency with you current name and address was good for proof of residency. So you can actually use the paperwork shipped to your new address from DMV (if it has your new address on it). Another thing I have found that works, is go to a notary and have them fillout a residence form, notarize it and use that. A notary is a officer of the state, so that works as well. Ive used jury summons, parking tickets receipts, income tax returns, all sorts of stuff over the years since I moved to cali.

Slatavus
10-05-2007, 1:43 PM
My address on my drivers license does not match my current address. That is not an issue. The license is only used to prove that you have a valid CALIFORNIA identification.

The proof of residence comes in the form of a utility bill (phone, pg&e, cable), Car registration would work if it is accurate, lease agreement etc. It has to show a physical location (No PO boxes etc).

The proof of residence that you bring must match the address that is being entered on the 4473 and what is on the DROS.

That is my understanding.

Kelvrick
10-05-2007, 3:04 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I am aware the driver's license doesn't have to match my current address. I was wondering if I could still submit using my previous address because of an out of date address on my reg card (not yet expired).

Instead of going through the trouble though, I decided to be a good little boy and go through the proper channels.