PDA

View Full Version : NH Pub is Gun Friendly - Owner says no to victim disarmament zones!

Liberty1
10-03-2007, 9:49 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=u9VWbaw4KF8

Open Carry covered at about 3 minute mark.

Shane916
10-03-2007, 9:56 PM
I'd say bad idea.

I'm not much of a fan for alcohol in combination with firearms.

Liberty1
10-03-2007, 10:02 PM
I'd say bad idea.

Thats ok, i gottcha covered. You drink and I'll be the designated carrier!

Shane916
10-03-2007, 10:05 PM
Thats ok, i gottcha covered. You drink and I'll be the designated carrier!

Hehe. Sounds like a plan to me :D When we going? :)

Liberty1
10-03-2007, 10:07 PM
Hehe. Sounds like a plan to me :D When we going? :)

Not soon enough. Maybe after the SF march.

EricCartmann
10-03-2007, 10:17 PM
I'd say bad idea.

that's because californians can't drink and shoot.

dfletcher
10-03-2007, 10:22 PM
I so very much miss my home state ......

Shane916
10-03-2007, 10:28 PM
that's because californians can't drink and shoot.

Thats them fighting words!

Piper
10-03-2007, 11:19 PM
I say if cops can get drunk and shoot themselves, everyone else should have that right too.:D

Liberty1
10-04-2007, 2:50 PM
I say if cops can get drunk and shoot themselves, everyone else should have that right too.:D

Well, yes and no. :p Personal responsibility and the consequences of ones actions are the only true deterrent to an unlawful use of force event for everyone whether an off duty LEO or private person, armed or not armed. Officers who have done what you describe have either paid the ultimate penalty for negligence or been fired and held criminally responsible for their actions. A law disarming every law-abiding person in a place that serves alcohol has the same crime and disorder encouraging effect as any other public disarmament zone law.

What the patrons in NH are showing is that they can gather in such a place and be responsible. I'd feel safer there (with many armed persons) then me being armed in a CA public place (as the criminals are still armed and help from a fellow citizen is unlikely).

I can have a beer with dinner and then have no qualms about driving personally. Add the firearm on my person and all we have is my improved chance of protecting my family in a deadly threat situation. The lawfulness or not of my actions has not changed. It was either lawful or not to use deadly force. I may not have as good a case as I might have otherwise and it could and would raise questions that I would have to defend in either a criminal or civil case, but possession should not be banned based on where I am while in public.

I might support a law making possession of a firearm a sentence enhancement to an intoxicated in public conviction to discourage being intoxicated with a firearm. But I know how easy it is for me to arrest someone for the latter charge and I fear such an enhancement would encourage false arrests and harassment of otherwise peaceful gun carriers. I think the best solution is to severely punish the criminal misuse of a firearm and leave it at that.

Liberty1
10-06-2007, 3:03 PM
http://volokh.com/posts/1186937033.shtml#256303

Insignificant Dallasite:

Most ardent gun rights supporters support "reasonable" restrictions on the right, such as: prohibitions on carrying in establishments serving alcohol; prohibitions on sales to minors; prohibitions on possession by felons or the mentally ill; and prohibitions on possession in certain facilities, such as courtrooms.

I had to look up "ardent", because for a moment I thought I had forgotten its meaning. Average gun-rights supporters may support the restrictions you name, but in my experience, ardent supporters do not. Guns are inaminate objects, like cars, and as such it makes sense to regulate the kinds of things that people can do with them, but not where or when they can do it.

Is a self-defense shooting any less justified if it happens in a bar or a courtroom? Is a murder less justified in those places? Do we prohibit alcholics from buying cars, or habitual burglars from buying screwdrivers?