PDA

View Full Version : National Student Protest Against University Disarmement Zones

Liberty1
10-03-2007, 12:05 PM
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=5030&forum_id=64&jump_to=79014#p79014

----------------------------------------------------------------------

On April 16, 2007, twenty-seven students and five faculty members at Virginia Tech lost their lives to a madman who possessed one distinct advantage over his victims—He wasn’t concerned with following the rules. Undeterred by Virginia Tech’s status as a “gun free zone,” this mentally unstable individual carried two handguns onto the university campus and indiscriminately opened fire.

During the week of October 22-26, 2007, college students throughout America will attend classes wearing empty holsters, in protest of state laws and campus policies that stack the odds in favor of armed killers by disarming law abiding citizens who are licensed to carry concealed handguns virtually everywhere else.

In thirty-nine U.S. states, thousands of collegiate students and faculty—age twenty-one and above—are licensed to carry concealed handguns throughout their day-to-day lives. And they do so without incident. However, despite the absence of any compelling evidence that these licensed individuals might pose any more threat to college campuses than they do to office buildings, shopping malls, movie theaters, grocery stores, banks, etc., they are currently prohibited, either by state law or school policy, from carrying their firearms onto most college campuses. On October 22 these students, through their Empty Holster Protest, will ask for a change.

In the last twenty years, the vast majority of the mass shootings in America—from the Texas Luby’s massacre to the Columbine High School massacre—have happened in “gun free zones.” Labeling an area “gun free” may make some people feel safer, but as the shootings at Virginia Tech taught us, feeling safe and being safe are not the same thing.

For over a year, state law in Utah has allowed licensed individuals to carry concealed handguns on college campuses. This has yet to result in a single act of violence. Numerous studies, including studies by John Lott, David Mustard, William Sturdevant, and state justice departments, show that license holders are five times less likely than non-license holders to be arrested for violent crimes. Clearly, license holders pose little threat to college campuses.

While some may argue that guns have no place in institutions of higher learning, the students of the Empty Holster Protest contend that it is the threat of uncontested, execution-style massacre that has no place on America’s college campuses, and these students respectfully ask that steps be taken to take the advantage away from those who seek to harm the innocent.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

T-shirts are now available for anyone wishing to support the Students for Concealed Carry on Campus (SCCC) empty holster protest.

http://www.shirtmagic.com/shop/concealedcampus

Please note that these shirts are being sold at cost. Nobody but the print shop makes a profit from them.

The Group: http://www.concealedcampus.com

The Group's Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2383535699

The Protest: http://www.douva.com/sccc/press.htm

The Protest's Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=2359003596

The T-Shirt: http://www.shirtmagic.com/shop/concealedcampus

FAQ: http://concealedcampus.org/faq.htm

Answers to Concerns: http://www.douva.com/sccc/arguments.htm

Cpl. Haas
10-03-2007, 1:05 PM
The irony of this is that it's not my college that's forcing me to go to class unarmed... it's the Sheriff of my county! :(

DedEye
10-03-2007, 2:06 PM
I don't have a pistol holster, anyone got one to spare for me?

pnkssbtz
10-03-2007, 2:11 PM

Buy a cheap fobus for $12?

jumbopanda
10-03-2007, 2:35 PM

Dude, can I hang out with you during that time so I don't look like a weirdo? :D

DedEye
10-03-2007, 2:36 PM
Buy a cheap fobus for $12?

If I have to, but honestly $12 is a bit much for me right now (poor college student and all).

DedEye
10-03-2007, 2:42 PM
Dude, can I hang out with you during that time so I don't look like a weirdo? :D

Yeah come on up to UCSB. There's at least one more Cal Gunner I expect to do this with me, and perhaps at least one more besides that. We'll definitely look a lot loss "scary/weird" if we do it as a group than by doing it alone. I'll also be contacting my friends on the school paper to try and get them to write an article about this protest.

BaronW
10-03-2007, 4:11 PM
I don't think UC policies are actually anti-CCW. I'm still researching it, but as far as I can tell they say "no weapons per ca penal code ..." and cite the gun free school act which has exceptions for CCW permit holders.

I'm not convinced enough yet, though, to push it myself.

jumbopanda
10-03-2007, 4:21 PM
Yeah come on up to UCSB. There's at least one more Cal Gunner I expect to do this with me, and perhaps at least one more besides that. We'll definitely look a lot loss "scary/weird" if we do it as a group than by doing it alone. I'll also be contacting my friends on the school paper to try and get them to write an article about this protest.

Come up? I'm already here dude. :)

derek@thepackingrat.net
10-03-2007, 4:53 PM
http://police.ucdavis.edu/clery/CleryCompliance_old.htm
UC Davis' policy regarding firearms:
"NO WEAPONS ON CAMPUS

State law and University policy prohibit the possession or use of weapons on University property. It is a felony punishable by up to four years in prison to possess any firearm on University property, whether in a book bag, in the car, or in an office, classroom, or apartment. Possessing a concealed weapon or automatic weapons of any kind is illegal, whether on campus or in the community. Campus policies prohibit bringing on campus weapons such as knives with blades longer than 2 1/2 inches, switchblades, dirks, daggers, stun guns, BB-gun, air guns, metal knuckles, nun chaku, etc.
If you see a gun or other weapon on University property, please alert the police immediately at (530) 752-1230, with a description of the location of the weapon and/or the individual carrying it. If you believe that the weapon is being or is about to be used, dial 9-1-1."

I'm assuming that the omission of valid CCW permits is intentional for "simplicity."

BaronW:
I believe UCI has established that students with a valid CCW will not be prosecuted criminally or through SJA.
http://www.police.uci.edu/perl/askofficer.cgi?mode=topic&ID=514
http://www.police.uci.edu/perl/askofficer.cgi?mode=topic&ID=1504

DedEye
10-03-2007, 6:11 PM
I don't think UC policies are actually anti-CCW. I'm still researching it, but as far as I can tell they say "no weapons per ca penal code ..." and cite the gun free school act which has exceptions for CCW permit holders.

I'm not convinced enough yet, though, to push it myself.

That's my understanding of them as well. Basically if you have a CCW you're legal with a gun on campus. It's just the CCW I'm needing now...

Jumbo: shoot me a PM, I didn't realize you were here already.

WokMaster1
10-03-2007, 7:25 PM
http://police.ucdavis.edu/clery/CleryCompliance_old.htm
UC Davis' policy regarding firearms:
"NO WEAPONS ON CAMPUS

State law and University policy prohibit the possession or use of weapons on University property. It is a felony punishable by up to four years in prison to possess any firearm on University property, whether in a book bag, in the car, or in an office, classroom, or apartment. Possessing a concealed weapon or automatic weapons of any kind is illegal, whether on campus or in the community. Campus policies prohibit bringing on campus weapons such as knives with blades longer than 2 1/2 inches, switchblades, dirks, daggers, stun guns, BB-gun, air guns, metal knuckles, nun chaku, etc.
If you see a gun or other weapon on University property, please alert the police immediately at (530) 752-1230, with a description of the location of the weapon and/or the individual carrying it. If you believe that the weapon is being or is about to be used, dial 9-1-1."

I'm assuming that the omission of valid CCW permits is intentional for "simplicity."

BaronW:
I believe UCI has established that students with a valid CCW will not be prosecuted criminally or through SJA.
http://www.police.uci.edu/perl/askofficer.cgi?mode=topic&ID=514
http://www.police.uci.edu/perl/askofficer.cgi?mode=topic&ID=1504

I really love this line.

LECTRIKHED
10-03-2007, 7:31 PM
This sounds like a bad idea here in California. First of all, you can carry on campus if you have a CCW, and only sheriff's friends have CCWs. I think it's a better idea to protest the CCW laws here, not something on campus, which doesn't apply to us.

Also, I think that doing this is a big red light, that the Universities will use to go after you. Universities here in CA are eager to bust students who own guns, as possible attackers. Expect, to be arrested, kicked out, fail your courses, and labelled as a psycho on the verge of a VT style attack. Just remember BWO.

Subvertz
10-03-2007, 8:33 PM
They forgot to put "In case off actual crime in progress, say TIME OUT"

kuhjäger
10-03-2007, 8:37 PM
Any UC Santa Cruz students who will join me in this?

ETD1010
10-03-2007, 10:58 PM
I go to a private school (Brooks Institute of Photography) and although I LOVE to create a stir with the liberal pansies that go here (I do a lot of photo shoots with guns)... I can't carry even IF I have a CCW... since private schools can do that (I think, please correct me if I'm wrong)... plus, if i DO carry an empty holster, I just KNOW I'm asking for trouble.... kind of don't want to et expelled, reprimanded.. even if they don't have a right to...... doesn't mean it'll stop them..

N6ATF
10-03-2007, 11:49 PM
I don't go to college in person * and therefore don't have a student ID (which most comm. colleges say you need to carry when on campus).

* Online college rocks

Liberty1
10-22-2007, 7:11 PM
http://www.ocolly.com/2007/10/22/students-protest-ban-of-campus-concealed-carry/

October 22, 2007

Students protest ban of campus concealed carry
By Jason Roy
Asst. News Editor

A national protest against state laws and university policies banning people with a concealed handgun license from bringing their guns to campus takes place this week. A handful of OSU students plan to participate.

Some OSU students will wear empty gun holsters this week to protest a state law and campus policy that prevent people with a concealed carry license from carrying their handguns to class.

Their protest will be part of the nationwide Empty Holster Protest organized, sponsored by Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, which argues that campus police and university warning systems aren’t adequate protection.

“The purpose of the protest is not to scare anyone or disrupt the daily function of college life but rather to educate people,” said Stephen Feltoon, one of the group’s national organizers. “We want people to approach us and say ‘Hey, what’s with the holster?’ giving us a chance to explain that licensed individuals, depending on the state, can carry in restaurants, supermarkets, parks, movie theaters, etc. but for some reason they cannot be trusted to carry on campus.”

Dustin Gaunder, an electrical engineering junior, agreed the protest is an opportunity to educate people.

“There will be no gatherings on the Library Lawn and no people walking around carrying signs,” Gaunder said. “It is a chance to draw attention to our cause. It will be an opportunity for people who are unaware that concealed carry even exists in Oklahoma to realize that it does exist and how common it really is.”

An OSU official said allowing students to carry guns on campus is a dangerous idea.

“I think it creates a very unsafe environment,” said Lee Bird, vice president of student affairs. “Realistically that (shootings) is not our most major problem and I don’t think weapons are necessarily going to help us; I think it will endanger people.”

Although opponents of concealed carry argue allowing people to carry guns will cause an increase gun violence, Stillwater Deputy Chief Ron Thrasher said he doesn’t know of any instances in Stillwater where a concealed carry licences was involved in a crime.

More than 450 students from 105 universities have decided to wear an empty holster to protest the policies. At least four OSU students planned to participate in the protest, according to the organization’s Facebook group.

The Empty Holster Protest will take place all this week.

The Virginia Tech shooting earlier this year, which left 33 dead, sparked a national debate about gun-free zones and concealed carry rights.

Some form of carrying a handgun is allowed in 48 states; Wisconsin and Illinois have no legal right to carry.

To receive a license under the Oklahoma Self Defense Act, passed in 1995, applicants are required to pass an eight-hour class, which covers state law and safe gun handling, to be fingerprinted and to go through a background check and pay a number of fees, totaling about $175.

The statute restricts a license holder from carrying in a number of places, including government buildings and schools.

The university’s weapons policy prohibits firearms on campus unless they are properly stored at the OSU Police Department or written consent is given by the university president.

A 2004 Utah law was passed earlier this year that voided gun bans on campuses in that state, giving students the right to conceal carry at their universities.

Sen. Michael G. Waddoups, R-Utah, who sponsored the law, said he hasn’t heard of any problems since the law went into effect and supports it now more than ever.

“If the university can’t protect their guests, they should be allowed to protect themselves,” Waddoups said.

A University of Utah official said people with a concealed weapons permit can bring a gun on campus.

“This law went in to effect with the beginning of the fall 2007 semester, and we have had no incidents on campus,” said Barbara Snyder, vice president of student affairs at the University of Utah.

Bird said differences in drinking, fighting and drug use on college campuses present different issues for carrying a handgun than other locations.

“What would happen with some of the fights that we’ve had, some of the assaults that we’ve had?” Bird said. “If you had a weapons or access to a weapon could that be used instead of just fists? And I think the answer is yes.

“We worry about notification. How do we let people know that there’s a concern or a problem on campus and instruct them where the problem is so that they can run in the other direction,” she said. “It’s a misnomer that we’re going to keep students safe. We can warn them of a danger. We can do our best to prevent dangers on campus, but there are never enough police officers to ensure, whether it’s in the city or on campus or anywhere else, there is no guarantee you’re going to be safe, even if you’re carrying a weapon.”

Feltoon agrees that the police cannot always provide protection and there is no guarantee of safety, but says that is a reason to allow concealed carry.

“My safety isn’t guaranteed,” Feltoon said. “Of course, it’s not guaranteed if I could carry a gun, either, but it still stacks the odds in my favor. We do believe that the right person at the right place at the right time could indeed prevent an attack or, at the very least offer students a fighting chance for survival.”

Bird said there are no easy answers to such a complex issue.

“We all have the same goal,” Bird said. “Our philosophical perspective about how to go about preserving peace and safety is probably different.”

An OSU police official said most on campus crimes involve property and occur when the owner is absent.

“One thing I wish the community here would look at is what type of crime justifies the use of deadly force,” Lt. Mark Shearer said. “We’re not having types of crimes that under normal circumstances would justify the use of deadly force.

“If we were in a metropolitan area … I could probably see people having more feeling towards ‘Yeah, we’ve got to do something to protect ourselves,’” he said.

“I can’t say that a major event will not happen here; however, if you go on the history of what has happened here in the past and you take a look at where we are today, I think we still have a relatively safe environment,” Shearer said.

Bird agreed that students should take responsibility for their safety. Students’ eyes, intellect and cell phones are their best weapons, Bird said. She also said students need to register for the reverse 911 system, which was put in place to help warn students of potential threats on campus.

Although most universities have won the battle to remain gun free, people who support the right to carry a handgun say those restrictions leave law-abiding citizens unprotected.

“An interesting finding we have found is criminals don’t obey the law,” Waddoups said. “Perhaps that is why gun free zones don’t work except in secure areas.”

An instructor who teaches concealed carry classes in Tulsa agrees.

“Regardless of which side of the issue you’re on, as it currently stands, the only people “no guns” signs and laws are keeping out are legally armed, law-abiding, peaceable citizens, the very group of individuals who are, by definition, the most trustworthy with guns,” Paul Melin said. “‘No firearms’ signs give only the illusion of safety and security to students and faculty members, and a very unjustified one at that.”

Shane916
10-22-2007, 10:25 PM
I'm gonna have to opt to refrain from wearing a holster as that constitutes as enough PC to be searched.

turinreza
10-23-2007, 9:05 AM
The irony of this is that it's not my college that's forcing me to go to class unarmed... it's the Sheriff of my county! :(

recall the sheriff