PDA

View Full Version : F Class

PistolPete75
10-02-2007, 11:18 PM
can anyone give me information on F Class? i've been curious about this dicipline. exactly what kind of shooting goes on? where are the matches held at? etc.

ocabj
10-03-2007, 5:19 AM
http://www.google.com/search?q=f-class

The first hit is a decent site for info as I've seen it before.

SoCal shooters are out of luck since there are very, very few venues for F-Class events.

WEGC could facilitate a minimum distance F-Class event (600 yards) and maybe Camp Pendleton. 29 Palms MCAGCC has a 1000 yard range, but that's limited use for the public, of course. Burbank Rifle and Revolver Club could facilitate F-Class (600 yards, and from what I understand 1000 yards in the near future).

The Desert Marksman Rifle and Pistol club is the only other range that I know about in SoCal that could do a 600-1000 yard F-Class. http://www.dmrpc.org/

Other than what's on their website, I don't know much else about them.

The NRA Regional at 29 Palms had an F-Class event last year (1000 yards), but since this year's NRA Regional at 29 Palms is in a state of flux due to the match director passing away earlier this year, the state of the Regional is still up in the air. I was told who is trying to take over the match and keep it going this year. I'm still waiting to see a match program (last year, the Match Program didn't get released until sometime in October).

As far as I know, there has not been one single official NRA approved F-Class match in SoCal since last year's NRA Regional at 29 Palms.

goldy1
10-03-2007, 6:09 AM
there is an f-class of sorts at the pala range. it is out to 600yds. then there is also an f-class reduced match at south bay rod and gun club. that one is at 300 yds. i shoot that one mostly, its difficult. the x ring at 300 is around 1.4" i've only seen one guy shoot a clean match and he's passed away since then.

ocabj
10-03-2007, 7:25 AM
there is an f-class of sorts at the pala range. it is out to 600yds.

If Pala has no pits, how do you guys score the targets? Shoot X number of rounds then walk/drive out there and score?

PistolPete75
10-03-2007, 7:49 AM
sounds kind of cool. it'll definitely be good practice for precision tactical matches, if they are doing 1/2 moa targets.

they have limits on rifles weight, right? 18.5 pounds? my new rifle should be just hitting that limit.

1000yard shooting, sounds like you need a 300winmag or 338lupua.

i have a place i could practice paper up to 805yards.

ocabj
10-03-2007, 8:09 AM
1000yard shooting, sounds like you need a 300winmag or 338lupua.

Actually, .308 and .223 will work fine at 1000 if you know your rifle and ammo.

6mm and 6.5mm cartridges are actually better than 300 WM and 338 Lapua for 1000. Less recoil and more efficient cartridges with high BC bullets.

6.5x284 is probably more widely used than 300WM and 338 Lapua in long range competition. 6.5x55 SE or AI is another good cartridge for long range. .260 Remington or 6.5x308 is another 6.5mm based cartridge that has a following.

Then there's 6mmBR which performs very well out to 1000.

proraptor
10-03-2007, 8:10 AM
your new precision rifle is going to be 18.5 pounds omg....you better start working out

Prc329
10-03-2007, 8:22 AM
I was over at Randal's last night and he got me thinking about a 6mm. That and a long range 260. Hmm. So many toys and to little time. To bad it is so hard to get out and shoot those distances.

goldy1
10-03-2007, 9:42 AM
i havent shot the match a pala, but at south bay we drive down in between groups and score and change targets. i'm guessing it would be the same at pala. on their site they talk about using steel targets for sighting. i use a 300 win mag, wife uses a 308.

PistolPete75
10-03-2007, 10:04 AM
I was over at Randal's last night and he got me thinking about a 6mm. That and a long range 260. Hmm. So many toys and to little time. To bad it is so hard to get out and shoot those distances.

i've been thinking about desert marksman. it's not a crazy drive like techachapi, and it ranges out to 1000yards!

PistolPete75
10-03-2007, 10:06 AM
Actually, .308 and .223 will work fine at 1000 if you know your rifle and ammo.

6mm and 6.5mm cartridges are actually better than 300 WM and 338 Lapua for 1000. Less recoil and more efficient cartridges with high BC bullets.

6.5x284 is probably more widely used than 300WM and 338 Lapua in long range competition. 6.5x55 SE or AI is another good cartridge for long range. .260 Remington or 6.5x308 is another 6.5mm based cartridge that has a following.

Then there's 6mmBR which performs very well out to 1000.

i need to get my .308 out to a 1000yards. we gotta plan a desert shoot!

DJDace
10-03-2007, 10:30 AM

If I see you at Angeles this weekend you're welcome to try some distance shooting with my 6.5 Grendel :) I have the same IOR 4-14x50 scope you do (just non-illuminated) so you'd have no trouble getting used to it.

ar15barrels
10-03-2007, 10:30 AM

You left without seeing my heavy 6mm. :(

ar15barrels
10-03-2007, 10:33 AM
SoCal shooters are out of luck since there are very, very few venues for F-Class events.

WEGC could facilitate a minimum distance F-Class event (600 yards).

WEGC has a long-range match every month where you could certainly follow the f-class rules yourself and just shoot for personal score.
A couple months back, they held an un-sanctioned f-class 600yd match which I missed because I shot a match the day before and had too much pending shop work to shoot two matches in a single weekend.

ocabj
10-03-2007, 10:42 AM
A couple months back, they held an un-sanctioned f-class 600yd match

Yup. I shot in the High Power XTC match the day after and we spent several minutes pulling staples out of the target backers. They used staples instead of glue to put the F-Class targets on. Naughty naughty.

ar15barrels
10-03-2007, 10:47 AM
Yup. I shot in the High Power XTC match the day after and we spent several minutes pulling staples out of the target backers. They used staples instead of glue to put the F-Class targets on. Naughty naughty.

I've never shot Highpower or spent time in the pits.
I did not even realize that they used glue to hold targets to the backer boards. :eek:

ocabj
10-03-2007, 10:50 AM
Yes, paste is standard. Staples aren't a very good idea because of what can happen in the event someone shoots a staple. Worrying about shot spotter spindles is bad enough.

Prc329
10-03-2007, 10:59 AM
You left without seeing my heavy 6mm. :(

To many distractions :) Cool uppers, your machinery, derby car, the 700p, learning about barrels, etc. I'll remind you to let me check it out next week when I drop off my bolt.

ar15barrels
10-03-2007, 11:01 AM
Yes, paste is standard. Staples aren't a very good idea because of what can happen in the event someone shoots a staple. Worrying about shot spotter spindles is bad enough.

The whole concept of standing down in the pits while guys shoot over your head just does not appeal to me.
I know it's relatively safe and all, I just don't like the concept.

Then again, I ride a motorcycle so who's to say I don't get killed on the way home tonight... :o

Pthfndr
10-03-2007, 8:47 PM

Up here at Sac Valley we've pretty much gone to stapling the repair centers on. I believe Coalinga is also.

Maybe our shooters keep their shots more towards the middle of the target ;)

Pthfndr
10-03-2007, 9:31 PM
can anyone give me information on F Class? i've been curious about this dicipline. exactly what kind of shooting goes on? where are the matches held at? etc.

F Class rules start on page 42 http://www.nrahq.org/compete/rules/fullbore_07.pdf

F Class is shot from the prone position on a bullseye target. The bullseye is the same size as a High Power target, but the X ring is only 1/2 moa vs 1 moa for HP, so the F Class shooters have one extra scoring ring in the black.

There are 2 classes. F Open and F T/R.

F Open is basically run what ever you want, using any solid front and any rear rest. They're essentially full bore bench rest guns.

F T/R is limited to rifles shooting either the .308 Winchester or .223 Remington (or 5.56) cartridge. Any other cartridge HAS to shoot in F Open.

In F T/R you can use a bipod in front. No bag or solid rest. You can also use just a sling if you choose. A bag can be used in the rear so long as it is not attached to the firearm. NO mono pods in the rear either.

Scopes are allowed, but not required. Basically everyone uses them.

Except for Ahhnother8. He shoots his Palma rifle with iron sights and a sling. Kicks butt too. He finished 4th out of 16 in F T/R at last years F Class Nationals using iron sights against scoped rifles on bipods.

AFAIK, there are no true F Class only matches in CA. But at Sac Valley and Coalinga any prone type match is open to F Class. That means you shoot with Palma Rifle competitors. (who will make fun of your lack of wind reading ability :eek:)

Now before you think, "no big deal", remember it's all about the X count. A typical string of fire will be either 10, 15 or 20 rounds in the same number of minutes. And you do that 3 times. The top shooters will do 90% or better on X count. On a 1/2 moa X ring.

Think about that. Most "Tactical" shooters will take 3-5 shots on a target, then their barrel has a chance to cool as they move to another position and wait their turn to shoot. You aren't shooting for "hit" on a steel plate, but a little tiny circle. At 1000 yards the X ring is only 5"!!!

At Coalinga, and up here at Sac Valley we have 1000 yard ranges. So most all the F Class is shot at 600 to 1000 yards. From 600 out it's all about reading the wind. Not the rifle.

PistolPete75
10-04-2007, 9:04 AM
If I see you at Angeles this weekend you're welcome to try some distance shooting with my 6.5 Grendel :) I have the same IOR 4-14x50 scope you do (just non-illuminated) so you'd have no trouble getting used to it.

that would be awesome! i'll be there around 10:30ish.

Prc329
10-04-2007, 10:07 AM
I'll be there at 9. I'm going to try and get as close as possible to the clay throwers.

DJDace
10-04-2007, 2:23 PM
I'll be there at 9. I'm going to try and get as close as possible to the clay throwers.

I want to do the same as I would like to put some shot through my new Side by Side 12 gauge while I am there as well.

I have about 240 rounds of 6.5 Grendel Match ammo to burn through, so I should be able to get in a nice long shooting session :)

I'm going to try and plan to be there as early as possible this time to avoid the crowds and the heat and hopefully get choice pickings on shooting benches.

DJDace
10-06-2007, 7:29 AM
My wife and I are leaving for Angeles in about 15 minutes! She can't wait to try out her new Ruger Mark III, and I am stoked to get my scope dialed in on my 6.5 Grendel AR. Hope to see some of you guys there!