PDA

View Full Version : Magic cosmoline cleaner

8mmFMJ
02-20-2013, 4:51 PM
I have owned a Mosin, Mauser, and SKS. All were caked with cosmoline. I tried it all. Spirits, brake cleaner, gun scrubber, rem oil, isopropyl, and various solvents. NOTHING has eaten the cosmo and melted it away better then CRC
"mass air flow sensor cleaner".

This:

http://www.top4runners.com/ja/1999/cleanmaf/crc05110.jpg

They make other products, and nothing comes close without leaving residue.

Just thought I would share.

dcmartin
02-20-2013, 5:06 PM
Pretty cool.... I redid a Mauser stock not too long ago and I had to use a butt load of "Aircraft Paint Remover" Several rounds of AC paint remover finally did the trick but that stuff is caustic! Burns like a MoFo! I"l definitely try the MAF cleaner next time.

bbguns44
02-20-2013, 5:08 PM
Boiling hot water for metal parts is quick & cheap.

SVT-40
02-20-2013, 5:11 PM

This!!

And leaves no chemicals behind to destroy the wood Too!!!

Just don't soak the stock in a bucket!!

Xingu
02-20-2013, 5:13 PM

And add Dawn.

knucklehead0202
02-20-2013, 5:17 PM
i've got MAF cleaner! yay!

8mmFMJ
02-20-2013, 5:18 PM
I actually sprayed my wood parts with the maf cleaner and wiped them quickly with a micro fiber towel. Then I sprayed Old English oil on the wood and rubbed it in then wiped dry. Just spray evenly with the solvents and wipe quickly. Beeeeautiful.

Ninety
02-20-2013, 5:19 PM
What about steam/? I have a couple different type of steamers.. one for cleaning and one for clothes..

8mmFMJ
02-20-2013, 5:24 PM
Some cosmoline can get hard and in the crevices. With a newly gifted C&R I got from a family member I decided to try what I had left in this bottle and was amazed. Heat works but still leaves residue after the boil. I have boiled parts but I threw away the pot when my wife tried to cook with it. :rofl:

paul0660
02-20-2013, 5:36 PM
You never tried regular unleaded.

Of course, that is a manly approach to the problem, and has the cheap thing going for it too.

Carry on with expensive silly alternatives.

McNally M.
02-20-2013, 5:40 PM
This is a cosmoline related question, though perhaps not in the sense it is most addressed. I have a canvas Mosin sling that has cosmoline slopped all over it courtesy of a grubby oil can that was in the same plastic bag with it. How do I remove cosmoline from the sling? I was thinking maybe using a hairdryer to heat it up and blot it out with a paper towel or something. Anything suggestions? Also, sorry for turning this thread away from 8mmFMJ's awesome discovery, I just need suggestions!

ms_erin
02-20-2013, 5:41 PM
Thanks for the tip. I'll try it on my M44.

Cheezle56
02-20-2013, 5:49 PM
Hot water and garment steamers are the way to go in my opinion. I dont mind the slight residue left behind as the slight amount of cosmoline embedded into the parkerizing or left on the bluing as it does help protect against rusting.

MackMan
02-21-2013, 3:12 AM

The same here !!