PDA

View Full Version : Loaning hi-caps at the range quesiton

Steyr_223
10-01-2007, 12:44 PM
Could you loan your legal hi-cap mag to your shooting partner for use in his AR at the range, if are with him?

If legal to do this, what if you have to goto the bathroom, should he not use them while your gone?

Fjold
10-01-2007, 12:59 PM
The law says:
(22) The loan of a lawfully possessed large-capacity magazine between two individuals if all of the following conditions are met:
(A) The person being loaned the large-capacity magazine is not prohibited by Section 12021, 12021.1, or 12101 of this code or Section 8100 or 8103 of the Welfare and Institutions Code from possessing firearms or ammunition.
(B) The loan of the large-capacity magazine occurs at a place or location where the possession of the large-capacity magazine is not otherwise prohibited and the person who lends the large-capacity magazine remains in the accessible vicinity of the person to whom the large-capacity magazine is loaned.

IMHO; I would say that you have to be in the "accessible vicinity" the whole time. I would say close enough to see/hear the person.

My opinion, is just that, my opinion.

bwiese
10-01-2007, 1:05 PM
Fjold's response above is indeed correct (and nicely written).

Yes, the user borrowing your hicap should be in your presence (i.e., you have your eye on him on the firing line - don't think you have to stand over his shoulder).

Some caveats/exceptions:

- Owners of hicap mags lending them to others should beware of lending them to folks with a semiauto centerfire rifle in fixed magazine configuration (BB, Prince50 or other method of attachment): installation of a hicap mag on a fixed mag rifle creates an illegal AW.

- Those owning SKSes with detachable magazines, hicap or otherwise, have assault weapons (that should have been registered). Lending those hicaps out to another regular SKS owner ain't gonna smell too good.

Steyr_223
10-01-2007, 1:54 PM
Thanks Frank and Bill, just as I thought. When i have to goto the head or get a snack, I have been asking my friends to refrain from using the hi-caps.

Yes, these are in use in legal OLL configs (U15 /MMG with 0 evil features)

grammaton76
10-01-2007, 5:39 PM
Sounds well squared away to me. If you only have one or two mags, you may even want to consider tucking 'em into mag holsters and take them on your person. That'll entirely eliminate the possiblity of it failing the smell test. Well, unless perhaps a mishap occurs to it in the restroom. :eek:

RANGER295
10-01-2007, 8:00 PM
Let me ask your opinions on a related question. I have been accepted to a couple of different schools to work on a masters degree. One of the schools would take me out of the area and it would be unpractical at best for me to take all of my standard capacity mags with me being that I have boxes of stuff for weapons I donít even own. If I go to that school I am planning on leaving all but one or two weapons in a couple of safes in my dadís shop along with all of my extra parts and mags. Do you guys think this would be a problem? Should I try to take it all with me? I am not only worried about space, I am worried about security as well. Thanks.

As to the original post. No one uses my standard caps without my being right there. If I leave to go to the bathroom it is not uncommon for me to take them with me. I also do not bring many to the range. Usually only for the .22s. I figure on the rest I can use the small ones and save the others for other uses such as home defense and when I carry on ranches and in the backcountry and so forth.