PDA

View Full Version : 922r question

savasyn
10-01-2007, 11:50 AM
Is there a "intent to manufacture" or whatever that clause is called in 922r? In other words, if I have an reg'd AK with a thumbhole stock mounted and started buying the parts to make it 922r compliant starting with the furniture, am I breaking the law if I don't have all the parts needed to complete the job? I'm talking about UNMOUNTED parts and not putting them on as I get them.

From what I understand, owning things like FA parts and a receiver they can mount to in illegal and I'm wondering if the same applies to other parts.

Hopefully that's clear.

Oh yeah, does 922r use the same feature list as the expired federal AW ban to define a "non-sporting" firearm?

Thanks!

thedrickel
10-01-2007, 11:55 AM
As far as I know there is no clearcut answer to your question, but these letters from the ATF show that there is no "constructive possession" applied to the possession of import mags when you have a firearm that requires US mag parts to be 922r compliant:

http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/LegalFederal922rParts

grammaton76
10-01-2007, 6:03 PM
I'm very confident that there's no constructive possession issue with unassembled AK's you're wishing to make 922(r) compliant before assembling.

Otherwise, somebody would've been popped for it by now... 922(r) has been around for ages, and folks have been doing exactly what you're doing ever since.

savasyn
10-01-2007, 6:13 PM
I'm sure it falls under the same safe catagory, but my AK is fully assembled in its purchased state thumbhole stocks and all. I plan on buying all the parts I need to make it 922r compliant and installing them in one fell swoop.

Addax
10-01-2007, 7:38 PM
When do you need to install 922r parts?

If a rifle was here pre Clinton Ban like a SR9 or SAR8, do you need to install a bunch of US made parts?

I recently purchased an Italian BM50 and I am sure they do not have us mfg. parts to comply with the 7 parts rule?

Please advise.

savasyn
10-01-2007, 8:40 PM
922r was put into effect some time around 1989 I believe, so anything made after that has to comply. They didn't put thumbhole stocks on AKs and HKs until they had to to get around the importing "non-sporting" thing.

If it was made before 922r it does not need US parts and chances are, is already in a configuration most people are trying to get back to(most commonly with a pistol grip.)

Addax
10-01-2007, 9:25 PM
922r was put into effect some time around 1989 I believe, so anything made after that has to comply. They didn't put thumbhole stocks on AKs and HKs until they had to to get around the importing "non-sporting" thing.

If it was made before 922r it does not need US parts and chances are, is already in a configuration most people are trying to get back to(most commonly with a pistol grip.)

Thanks, I read up on it some more tonight, and I understand that if you have a pre 89 ban rifle in its original config. you can leave it alone, but any post 89 ban rifles that came with their sporter stocks etc. are ok, but once you change the stocks/configuration, you now have to install the list of approved US parts (6 or 7 parts). That is why all the AK, FAL, HK clone builds have to incorporate 922r parts since they are parts guns built after the 89 ban.

Thanks for the input.

Addax