PDA

View Full Version : Standard cap AR mags v. 10 Round .50 Beowulf

Grouch
10-01-2007, 12:24 PM
So I did search the forum and saw that this question has come up a few times but nothing much in the way of discussion happened.

I was reading a Rifleman’s mag from 05 where they reviewed a .50 Beowulf upper and said that in an unmodified 30 round .223 mag you can fit 10 rounds of .50, and for them it worked perfectly.

Knowing this and understanding that it is not illegal to import, buy or sell, any mag that is intended to hold 10 rounds of its intended caliber, even if it can technically fit < 10 rounds of another (see the 13+ 9mm rounds in a 10 round .40 XD mag).

Why hasn't or wont a someone buy, brand or make 10 round .50 Beowulf mags for sale in CA.

In a zombie situation I wouldn’t mind having some.

ldivinag
10-01-2007, 3:34 PM
because the law says you cannot BUY RENT LOAN OR MANUFACTURE...

and there arent a lot of .50 beowolf upper makers...

the best thing to do is buy it from like alexander arms and make sure it says on the side .50 BEOWOLF...

tgriffin
10-01-2007, 3:42 PM
You better own a .50 beowolf upper and not get caught with loaded w/ 5.56 (if its obvious that you couldnt possibly have possessed them before the ban)

pidooma
10-01-2007, 4:06 PM
You can purchase 7-round .50 Beowulf magazines from places like midwayusa.com. The floor plates are stamped 50 Beowulf.

Like 2E8B mentions, I wouldn't own any of those magazine without owning a .50 Beowulf upper and I wouldn't use the Beowulf magazines in an AR unless it had a .50 Beowulf upper on it.

DedEye
10-01-2007, 5:07 PM
because the law says you cannot RENT LOAN OR MANUFACTURE...

the best thing to do is buy it from like alexander arms and make sure it says on the side .50 BEOWOLF...

Fixed it for you.

wilit
10-01-2007, 5:33 PM
I have tested one of Alexander Arms 7 round .50 Beo mags in my .223 AR (in Nevada of course) and every round fed perfectly fine. So yes, the article you read is very true.

grammaton76
10-01-2007, 6:06 PM
I own "some" pre-ban full-capacity USGI AR mags.

That having been said, my experience is that the 30rd USGI mags will FIT 10, but will not function with them. They'll function just fine with 9, until they reach the last round, at which point there's a 50% chance of jamming.

I'll also say that the H&K high performance mag bodies do not like Beowulf at all!

Anyway, for my Beo, I just use the 7rd Alexander Arms mags, which I have been unable to get to hold 223/5.56; it just comes out the top.

NoTime2Shoot
10-01-2007, 8:04 PM
AA now has 10rd Beo mags.

Just sayin'...

Hey, wait..... I haven't even gotten my last ammo order. :mad:

C.G.
10-01-2007, 8:26 PM
AA now has 10rd Beo mags.

Just sayin'...

Hey, wait..... I haven't even gotten my last ammo order. :mad:

I am told they C-products mags, Lars has had them for a while now.

thmpr
10-01-2007, 9:00 PM
Had no feeding issues with both of my mags filled with 10 rounds.

Grouch
10-01-2007, 9:55 PM
because the law says you cannot BUY RENT LOAN OR MANUFACTURE...

Right the law says you cannot BUT RENY LOAN OR MANUFACTURE... 30 round mags.

It says nothing about 10 round mags.

What you do with a 10 round mag that just so happens to also fit 30 rounds of another caliber is up to you. What you do after you have possession of a legally bought and imported 10 round mag is up to you. If you want to break the law and replace the floor plates or save them for the zombies is up to you.

Toolbox X
10-01-2007, 11:24 PM
The AA Beowulf mags have different feed lips than 30rd AR mags.

The Beowulf mags have wider lips so the huge round will stick up higher out of the mag, and feed easier into the chamber.

I would not trust the AA Beo mags to work well with 5.56/.223.

I have a number of their 7 and 10rd mags. Maybe I'l make the time to post a picture of what I'm talking about tomorrow.

artherd
10-02-2007, 1:18 AM
DOJ refused to give me an opinion on the legality of using a '10 round mag' with so called 'sub-caliber ammunition'.

Ie, 13 rounds of 9mm in a 10-round .40S&W mag, or 20 rounds of 5.56 in a .50BE mag.

Take that refusal however you like, but they were willing to answer every other question in my letter.

I would stay away from this particular avenue for both technical and leagal reasons.