PDA

View Full Version : Does a CCW allow you to carry in National Parks?

freshdesigns@hotmail.com
09-30-2007, 10:23 AM
When camping or hiking, I'd like to know whether signs prohibiting firearms do not apply to CCW holders. I've been told both ways so want to clarify FOR SURE (no opinions on what it SHOULD be since I'm sure we all agree)?

Thanks and love to hear from Park Rangers (or other LEO's) if possible.

LAK Supply
09-30-2007, 11:13 AM
CCW in National Park is prohibited. If you are taking an firearm into a park you are supposed to break it down so it is not able to fire. There was some discussion about this earlier in the year when the opportunity came to influence a change in this area.

I'm not sure what happened.... I think the policy remained the same, but I'm sure there are others who could answer that better than I.

metalhead357
09-30-2007, 8:55 PM
CCW in National Park is prohibited. If you are taking an firearm into a park you are supposed to break it down so it is not able to fire. There was some discussion about this earlier in the year when the opportunity came to influence a change in this area.

I'm not sure what happened.... I think the policy remained the same, but I'm sure there are others who could answer that better than I.

thats about the extant of it. I've personally asked at several gates and have been told BOTH ways....as in yeah- go ahead you're exempted and NO, take it apart, case & lock it or turn around.....this for STATE PARKS.....

For Fed lands......... anybody's guess........

JimAmentler
09-30-2007, 9:28 PM
Carry in a National Park is a no-go whether you have a CCW or not. There were some noises about having this changes, which would be awesome, but no changes at this time.

CSDGuy
09-30-2007, 10:46 PM
I have also heard some of the noises being made about NPS rule changes. People did try, but not much resulted. I hope that eventually the NPS changes it's rules.

freshdesigns@hotmail.com
05-05-2008, 8:53 AM
Thanks everyone -- I guess it's pretty cut-n-dry that there's NO carry in National Parks!

Does a CCW allow carry in STATE PARKS though?

What about areas like Shaver Lake, Big Bear Lake, Shasta Lake and similar places?

tango-52
05-05-2008, 9:18 AM
This post on calccw.com answers your question:

http://www.calccw.com/Forums/where-can-t-i-carry/1103-can-i-carry-ca-state-park.html

Regarding the National Parks, the rules are being changed and the proposed modifications are now open for public review:

http://www.calccw.com/Forums/general-ccw-discussion/2394-petition-remove-ban-national-parks-3.html