PDA

View Full Version : Require a Location?

Kestryll
09-30-2007, 9:50 AM
The posting of a location in the Parts and Accessories forum was changed some months ago from being required to being highly recommended, this was done at the request and suggestion of several members.

Now several other members have asked to reinstate the required location rule in the Parts and Accessories forum so I figure the best way to decide which way to go with it is to ask those using this forum.

markymark
09-30-2007, 10:00 AM
Why were these members against location being required? If they're so worried about the gov't keeping track of them, maybe they shouldn't be selling any of their firearms accessories?

I think location should be required in the post. Makes decision making much easier, as well as figuring out if a FTF can be worked out, prior to contacting the seller.

SemiAutoSam
09-30-2007, 10:08 AM
I can understand when Selling a firearm here be it a Rifle or handgun but even more important when its a handgun as it may not be one thats on the BS gov drop safe list and hence more important to know if the guy selling it is within a reasonable driving distance.

But If im selling a AR15 LPK or a flash hider or any other part that does not have to go through a FFL its getting shipped via USPS Priority mail or UPS, FedEx.

If its a gun safe thats also something that would require a location as most of us here wouldn't want to drive a few hundred miles to buy a safe unless of coarse its a killer deal.

Boomer1961
09-30-2007, 10:29 AM
Ya, I just watched that movie the enemy of the state...

....I see iggy right now in a black van across the street using that satellite technology to track every gun sale. All he was missing was the city location in the posting. He needs to have it narrowed down that much because like in the movie the satellite was not good enough for the whole state, but narrow it down to the city, and they nail your ar$e!:eek:

So lets see now tell me again how the city location is used against the seller or buyer? Is there proof that there are allot of black vans driving about in any city that has a calguns transaction.

Seems to me that the government could figure it out with the FFL transaction. Its not like there are thousands of SIG 228's or STAG lower's being sold a particular week if you think Bigfoot, I mean IGGY, is comparing sales with Calgun monikers to figure out who is who so he can raid them for damaging comments on other threads. Yes that is for the gun sale forum and not the parts sale but same thing goes.

I vote for cutting down on the amount of bandwidth and wasted members time who are only interested in local deals but must always write to the seller what the location is.

Remember that in the end this super secret need to know only get out the decoder rings from the cracker jack box information will have to be shared sometime else no deal will ever get made.

Put location back in the thread.

Socal858
09-30-2007, 10:36 AM
some people dont want to mess with shipping things they sell, they have busy lives

vice versa, many buyers are buyers of oppurtunity, they will buy because something is convenient, or on the way

yes, i myself and plenty of others im sure have passed up many ads out of inconvenience. new buyers and sellers on calguns would possibly be more comfortable with face to face transactions and it will build confidence in trading through calguns

the way i see it, this isnt something that will hinder your selling or buying, everyone goes home happy, except your wives when they see the bank statement

if you are worried about deh gubbament tracking you and finding out your underwear size , there are more prominent things to worry about like gang crime, upcoming elections, and the value of the dollar.

Corbin Dallas
09-30-2007, 10:38 AM
Honestly, Will the sellers location make a difference to you if somebody was willing to ship it for free?

Probably not.

I think it is to the sellers benefit to tell potential buyers where they are, but to require it is a bit of an overstep IMO.

taloft
09-30-2007, 10:50 AM
I prefer that the seller list a location. I rarely do business with people who are not within driving distance. If there are two threads for the same item, I'm going with the one that is closest to me. I don't think we're talking address here, a simple county would suffice. Also, you can always arrange a meeting in a neutral location if you don't want strangers knowing where you live. It also helps determine how long a shipment should reasonably take to get to you if the deal requires shipping. I see plenty of reasons for listing a general location but, none for not listing. I say require it.

AJAX22
09-30-2007, 11:06 AM
If the seller offers FTF as an option then location should be required.

If its not an option then it doesn't matter.

aplinker
09-30-2007, 12:03 PM
Unfortunately people don't read the rules. If there were a way to make a pop-up when posting in the individual forums, like this, it might help.

That being said...

It's nice to see location for the possibility of FTF. Maybe saying it's required if FTF is an option.

The SoCal Gunner
09-30-2007, 12:25 PM
Yes I prefer being able to see location. Some items go for hundreds of dollars which equal or surpass the cost of a firearm. I'm sure many buyers feel more comfortable buying a high dollar item FTF. Even still, sometimes buyers are in a rush for an item and want to pick up locally i.e., upper receivers.

Gunaria
09-30-2007, 12:37 PM
If you want to know where the seller is than just politely ask them. How lazy can you be? Your bottom is already sitting down in a chair...:p:rolleyes:

WokMaster1
09-30-2007, 1:12 PM
Yes, I feel better in case the seller is a flake. It makes hunting them down a tad easier....:D

half j/k

cost of shipping often factors into deciding if I should buy it or just get a new one. Of course free shipping helps some but then again if the seller is new (1 post), it helps if I get their address & contact number...see above..

mur
09-30-2007, 2:32 PM
I always look at Location for Ammo, I'd hate to ask every time someone posts ammo, "What's your Location", Geez Just post it

thedrickel
09-30-2007, 3:13 PM
I would like to see location required, but even if it's not you can usually get a general idea (county at least) by checking their post history, unless they have very few posts.

Nefarious
09-30-2007, 3:41 PM
I started the thread in the suggestions section, so its clear where I stand.

Post the damn location...

I dont care if its not going through an FFL. If your shipping it for free... fine. But if your my neighbor or if your close by.. .. well. I understand if you dont want to bother with a face to face. But in that case you can simply state in your add that pickup is not an option!

How many times already do we see people asking for location in the accessories section? I certainly ask for it.. especially with ammo.

It seems so silly really. Just say where the item is located already

If its close by, I want to pick it up ...

If its not, I want to estimate shipping ..

If shipping is stated in add ... I still want to know where you are to see if pickup is possible...

If pickup is not an option ... and your too far (But I NEED location to figure that out) ... then Ill pass on the item.

Adding one or two words to say where you are... is not that hard

metalhead357
09-30-2007, 8:42 PM
Location?

Location? WHERE's That??????????????:p

Kes if you DONT put up a location directive I just might have to sick Ivan on you to come buy allllllllllllll yer' guns! OH! WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!! WE'd NEED A LOCATION FOR THAT NOW WOULDN'T WE!!!!!!!!!!!!;):D

Location..... Its Where its at:D

Roccobro
10-01-2007, 1:55 AM
Honestly, Will the sellers location make a difference to you if somebody was willing to ship it for free?

I vote all items include free shipping! I have yet to see free shipping in an ad here- but I'm still new. :)

Oh, and located added to ads!

Justin

Boomer1961
10-01-2007, 10:11 PM
There are just to many extremely lazy as$e seller to lazy to type a few extra letters on the keyboard for location.

There are a few manipulative sellers that don't post to make it more intriguing but they are manipulative so I recommend to avoid but most are suckers.

Plus they get a free bump when you have to ask.

I VOTE FOR DELETING ALL FOR SALE THREADS WITHOUTH LOCATION!

SERVES THOSE IDIOT SELLERS RIGHT FOR WASTING MY TIME!:43:

AUTOMATIC DELETION I SAY, OR BETTER YET NO STARTING A THREAD IN THE FOR SALE WITHOUT A LOCATION!

C.G.
10-01-2007, 11:26 PM
If you want to know where the seller is than just politely ask them. How lazy can you be? Your bottom is already sitting down in a chair...:p:rolleyes:
+1:)

Boomer1961
10-02-2007, 7:37 PM

And why would a seller not want to put location on his advertisement.

It is because he is very very very lazy.

Its far better to have 20 or more people wasting their time writing to the lazy seller than have the one lazy seller type a few keystrokes with his (or on very very very rare occasions her) location.

There also is the security thing. Knowing location can help for transactions gone bad or help send out the danger signals if another member with the same location and sound pops up again.

I am for having the ISP address that this forum collects matching to location listed to weed out some of the would be thieves. Hell why not list the ISP address. If everything is on the up and up then there is no need for super dooper privacy.

Best thing about requiring location is the seller gets a free bump of his thread for a few days as he intentionally leaves off the location so a bunch of irate members continually post for days and days about how location is required keeping his for sale thread at the top then coolly slips in later saying, "...who me....oh...me bad....sorry.....I am located at....."

I think the sellers miss having this requirement for exactly this reason. So many sellers used this technique repeatedly as you would search their past threads for sale items and see the exact same sequence of postings about where is your location, your location is required, I PM'd the admin about your illegal thread, we delete threads without locations, if you don't tell us your location your thread will be deleted, seriously I am not kidding we will delete your thread, one more day and that is it and your thread gets deleted, come on now I am warning you, this is your last and final warning you have one more day to post your location, come on just post your location.........ah sorry guys I was not near a computer the last couple of days and my thread is now updated with my location but the item is SPF.:eek:

There is something called "total cost of ownership" so is it easier for the seller to type a few keystrokes or for dozens and dozens of members wasting time and bandwidth and filling up PM and mailboxes and eating up limited allotted memory for this forum at their host server raising the costs for the owner of the forum.

I would propose that location be required in for sale threads ...

EXCEPT IF THEY ARE A GOLD PLUS MEMBER OF THIS FORUM THAT DONATES HANDSOMELY TO THE ADMINS OF THIS FORUM SO THEY PAY FOR THE ADDED BANDWIDTH, MEMBERS TIME (they get the benefit of this forum in return), AND GET VERIFIED SO TO SPEAK AS TO THEIR LOCATION THROUGH THE ADMINS AT THIS SITE BY CHECK OR CREDIT CARD.

If you want to be a cheap ar$e like me and enjoy the benefit of this forum without paying any of the costs then you have to follow the basic rules like posting your location.:D

Take care everyone......

......and lets bring an end to the lazy seller syndrome.....

SemiAutoSam
10-02-2007, 7:44 PM
What the hell do you think this IS EBAY ?

ETA: I have a suggestion: I would like to see mandatory pictures of what someone is attempting to sell.

No Pics = No sales thread.

I just saw in a thread where everyone is asking to be e mailed pics.

Why just post them. I even wrote a small how to post pics thread back a few months ago. Posting pics in the thread will save everyone a lot of key strokes and will also save the seller from having to e mail out pics to so many people.

www.Photobucket.com is free to park your pics. other places also if you dont like Photobucket for some reason.

GET VERIFIED SO TO SPEAK AS TO THEIR LOCATION THROUGH THE ADMINS AT THIS SITE BY CHECK OR CREDIT CARD...

Boomer1961
10-02-2007, 10:26 PM
What the hell do you think this IS EBAY ?

ETA: I have a suggestion: I would like to see mandatory pictures of what someone is attempting to sell.

No Pics = No sales thread.

I just saw in a thread where everyone is asking to be e mailed pics.

Why just post them. I even wrote a small how to post pics thread back a few months ago. Posting pics in the thread will save everyone a lot of key strokes and will also save the seller from having to e mail out pics to so many people.

www.Photobucket.com is free to park your pics. other places also if you dont like Photobucket for some reason.

Only for those GOLD MEMBER DONATORS that don't want to post location. Else you be required to post location.

And no, lets hope this never turns into fleabay. I don't want to be like an old dog and scratching all the time.:eek:

rg_1111@yahoo.com
10-03-2007, 12:49 PM
+ 1000 on that.
I'm sure many buyers feel more comfortable buying a high dollar item FTF.

Nefarious
10-03-2007, 12:54 PM
123 to 20 For location as of right now... I think this is a no brainer

SemiAutoSam
10-03-2007, 12:57 PM
I have donated to this board in the past but there is no such thing here as a Gold Member that I know of at least.

Only for those GOLD MEMBER DONATORS that don't want to post location. Else you be required to post location.

Roccobro
10-03-2007, 1:05 PM
Ensign Crusha, imput co-ordinates for the nearest Gold Member System. En- Gauge! :D

Justin

Nefarious
10-17-2007, 5:49 PM
131-20 FOR .... and the thread dies .....

so can we get location back... Please

Boomer1961
10-17-2007, 10:48 PM
131-20 FOR .... and the thread dies .....

so can we get location back... Please

YES!

Location please!

LOCATION!
LOCATION!
LOCATION!
LOCATION!
LOCATION!

Else automatically delete the post!:43:

rod
10-18-2007, 8:13 AM
One more for location. It helps in the decision of wether to buy or not.

mcubed4130
10-18-2007, 11:46 AM
In general location; becomes a factor.

Providing the location; then saying price for local pickup / dropoff vs. shipped (if the seller will do shipping) - is very helpful when making a buying decision.

Please have people include the "general location" - I don't need to know what city... I need to know where the seller is willing to do a "local pickup / dropoff".

-M3

Nefarious
10-19-2007, 12:19 PM
and yet more Votes for location.. whats the holdup already ;)

metalhead357
10-19-2007, 6:03 PM
and yet more Votes for location.. whats the holdup already ;)

mmmmmmm, Maybe Kes forgot the LOCATION of der' button making it a necessity:confused: J/K Kes....I know you're just weighing the options;)

SemiAutoSam
10-19-2007, 6:08 PM
Just like the Butcher with his thumb on the scale ?

mmmmmmm, Maybe Kes forgot the LOCATION of der' button making it a necessity:confused: J/K Kes....I know you're just weighing the options;)

metalhead357
10-19-2007, 6:19 PM
Just like the Butcher with his thumb on the scale ?

NO! Just that requiring a location will undoubtedly have a negative impact on sales..........

CALI-gula
10-20-2007, 1:36 AM
The posting of a location in the Parts and Accessories forum was changed some months ago from being required to being highly recommended, this was done at the request and suggestion of several members.

Now several other members have asked to reinstate the required location rule in the Parts and Accessories forum so I figure the best way to decide which way to go with it is to ask those using this forum.

I think it should be required on items where the seller says they won't ship (for whatever reason) or prefers face-to-face. In my sales thread here, I noted I wouldn't ship the huge can of .50BMG ammo I have for sale - too much hassle/too much for shipping. So location is noted.

I can't imagine why a seller would not put the location anyway; it's for their own benefit and it could encourage a sale. Such as, if I see the seller or item is in Costa Mesa, I might send them a PM and discover they'll be at the Costa Mesa gun show that weekend anyway - which is where I was going to be as well! We can meet there and complete the sale - no shipping or waiting for payment necessary. If the ad says nothing, I might not be as quick to respond as I am already assuming there will be shipping charges, payment transfer or I'll need to get a money order, etc.

Sellers! Do your self a favor - post the location for ANY items you post on Calguns, requirement or not. ;)

gunrun45
10-20-2007, 3:13 AM
You gotta be kidding me right?
Why is this even an issue?
Does anybody really think its NOT important to know if I'm (a seller) located in Yreka or LA for a FTF only sale? They are about 700 miles apart just for FYI...

hylander
10-20-2007, 8:26 AM
I think a location should be mandatory for all Sales add's.
Sometimes location is deal maker or braker, especially if the item is large or heavy "Shipping Cost"
Every time I look at an add I'm interested in, one of the things I look for first is location.

Nefarious
10-21-2007, 10:52 AM
181-21 for location ... just about everyone that posts seems agree as well. Hows about bringing the location rule back Kest

Boomer1961
10-21-2007, 8:34 PM
It is rare that 85% of any Americans ever agree on anything.

Usually just a vocal 20% is enough to get more gun bans with microstamping required on the brains of all gun owners because the liberal Hollywood elitist made a donation to the pseudo Republican governor that really is a Kennedy in disguise.

I say if 85% agreement is not enough for a rule then we have anarchy and chaos and the people really do not decide.

Oh well, I suppose it is the golden rule, he who has the gold makes the rules, and in this case he who pays to run this forum with gold given through advertising is the law maker in this land.:D

metalhead357
10-21-2007, 9:41 PM
View Poll Results: Should a location be required in the Parts and Accessories Forum? Yes, it's important to know where a seller is. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/images/polls/bar2-r.gif 18783.86%No, parts don't need an FFL so t doesn't matter. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/images/polls/bar3.gif 2410.76%I don't care, it really doesn't affect me. : 223. You have already voted on this poll

223!
187? Aint that the code for redrum?????!!!!!!!!

Nefarious
10-24-2007, 7:30 AM
Bump back to the top page.

location - should be common sense to put it.

Nefarious
10-29-2007, 8:09 AM
Location? Where are you?? Ohh please ohh please

ohsmily
10-29-2007, 9:08 AM
Location? Where are you?? Ohh please ohh please

+1

Boomer1961
10-29-2007, 10:02 PM
If only the lunatics were running this asylum....

....then common sense would dictate....

Instead the business men, lawyers, and bean counters make the decisions for the lunatics and no location or pics are required so the lunatics go wild and the straight jackets are ordered out for application.

Go figure, the world wonders, and wonders why no location, except that there must be some profit in not having it as this is America and money rules over democracy as true democracy is the number of dollars you have to vote with so says one, so says the Democratic Party, so Says Hillary Clinton while embracing the Governor from Australia who has small testicles from chronic steroid use!

Nefarious
11-01-2007, 11:49 AM
:confused:
Such a simple rule to bring back, I dont understand whats the deal
200-30 For

Nefarious
11-01-2007, 12:16 PM
THANK YOU KEST!!!!!

Roccobro
11-01-2007, 12:24 PM
Cool!:cool2:

Justin