PDA

View Full Version : LMT CQB MRP Refinished in FDE

MrLogan
09-29-2007, 1:23 PM
Here's my first FDE build. All DuraCoat work done by fellow Calgunner drawn, over at www.armoryairbrush.com

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/1447/img26351smallxd1.jpg

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/7632/img2628smallfj5.jpg

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/6518/img2637smallme8.jpg

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/6361/img2638smallsb9.jpg

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/9402/img2644smallni1.jpg

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/9556/img2642smallov1.jpg

The build you see here consists of the following:

Mega Gator Lower Receiver
LMT CQB MRP
14.5" barrel with a permanently affixed Sabre Defence extended A2 (courtesy of ar15barrels...as well as M4 cut)
LMT Front and Rear BUIS
TangoDown Battle Grip and Panels
PMAG cut and modified to 10 rounds (courtesy of ar15barrels)
Prince50
Magpul MIAD
VLTOR Modstock
EOTech 512

The receivers, BUIS, and EOTech were coated in Duracoat Magpul FDE. The barrel was done in DuraHeat Woodlan Tan.

drawn
09-30-2007, 10:57 AM
Wow!, Mr Logan, that my friend is beautiful. I imagined something awesome when I received the box of parts to finish but that is a beautiful build and will definitely go on my Website. Thank you for the opportunity to assist in your vision.

Prc329
09-30-2007, 11:02 AM
That is a good looking rifle. drawn, good job.

nearsightednate
09-30-2007, 12:57 PM
Wow! This came out really nice! I'll be contating Drawn to see about having some work done.

Nate

MrLogan
09-30-2007, 4:30 PM
Wow! This came out really nice! I'll be contating Drawn to see about having some work done.

Nate

You definitely won't be disappointed. :D

EricCartmann
09-30-2007, 5:09 PM
very very nice. almost too pretty to use. When SHTF I plan to krylon my weapons. until then I'll save money and leave them black. ;)

drawn
10-01-2007, 5:25 AM
ar15barrels did a beautiful job as well. If not for Mr Logan listing what was changed, I could not tell anything was done. There are no tool marks and that barrel is tight and took DuraHeat like a dream.

C.G.
10-01-2007, 2:54 PM
Sweet. I can't decide between the LMT and Vltor Vis for the next build.

MrLogan
10-01-2007, 4:00 PM
The VLTOR VIS is a really nice piece of kit. The plus is that you can use standard barrels.

I had the same debate, whether to get a VLTOR VIS or LMT MRP. I decided to go with the MRP because it's a true monolithic upper, machined from one solid block of aluminum. The VLTOR is made from two pieces.

aplinker
10-02-2007, 10:44 AM
The VLTOR VIS is a really nice piece of kit. The plus is that you can use standard barrels.

I had the same debate, whether to get a VLTOR VIS or LMT MRP. I decided to go with the MRP because it's a true monolithic upper, machined from one solid block of aluminum. The VLTOR is made from two pieces.

Clearly the piece in the bottom of the picture is "separate," but are you saying the upper is made out of 2 pieces?

http://www.vltor.com/images/VIScarbinekit.jpg

drawn
10-02-2007, 9:58 PM
A view of the inside.
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s150/stagebeast/UpperFDE.jpg

DuraCoat is non self leveling so edges remain sharp.
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s150/stagebeast/ReceiverFDE.jpg

MrLogan
10-03-2007, 12:14 AM
Clearly the piece in the bottom of the picture is "separate," but are you saying the upper is made out of 2 pieces?

http://www.vltor.com/images/VIScarbinekit.jpg

Yes. The VLTOR VIS is not machined from a single aluminum forging. It's is made from two forgings and then joined together. It's initially manufactured in two separate pieces, then joined together by a salt dip brazing process. Brazing is the process of joining two pieces of metal with a solder or filler metal with a high melting point, just below the melting temperature of the base metal. Simplisticly, the salt dip process involves immersing the pre-heated pieces in a molten salt/brazing flux bath, which heats up the part quickly and uniformly. The melted filler metal flows between the joints through capillary action, and when removed and cooled, results in an extremely strong and high-quality joint.

So the VIS is not truly monolithic like the MRP, but is actually a two-piece receiver.

The MRP is a truly monolithic rail upper. This is what every MRP starts out as: http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/mstn/shotshow-3.jpg

MrLogan
10-03-2007, 12:15 AM
A view of the inside.

DuraCoat is non self leveling so edges remain sharp.

Great pictures, drawn!

aplinker
10-03-2007, 5:18 PM
Yes. The VLTOR VIS is not machined from a single aluminum forging. It's is made from two forgings and then joined together. It's initially manufactured in two separate pieces, then joined together by a salt dip brazing process. Brazing is the process of joining two pieces of metal with a solder or filler metal with a high melting point, just below the melting temperature of the base metal. Simplisticly, the salt dip process involves immersing the pre-heated pieces in a molten salt/brazing flux bath, which heats up the part quickly and uniformly. The melted filler metal flows between the joints through capillary action, and when removed and cooled, results in an extremely strong and high-quality joint.

So the VIS is not truly monolithic like the MRP, but is actually a two-piece receiver.

The MRP is a truly monolithic rail upper.

Thanks for the info.

I was unaware that they didn't use a single piece.

PS - you need the Magpul MIAD triggerguard or the enhanced. ;) They make the rifle look so much better. The color looks really good. I'm starting to think I'm gonna need to do this to my green furniture build and my Remmy.

Along those lines, Drawn, I visited your site. Do you have a price list anywhere for single and multi-color DuraCoating?

C.G.
10-03-2007, 5:54 PM
Thanks for the info.

+1.:)

xxG3xx
10-03-2007, 6:09 PM
that my friend has to be in the top 5 of my fav AR's

MrLogan
10-03-2007, 8:34 PM
that my friend has to be in the top 5 of my fav AR's

Thank you, thank you very much. :D

MrLogan
10-03-2007, 8:35 PM
Thanks for the info.

PS - you need the Magpul MIAD triggerguard or the enhanced. ;) They make the rifle look so much better. The color looks really good. I'm starting to think I'm gonna need to do this to my green furniture build and my Remmy.

Along those lines, Drawn, I visited your site. Do you have a price list anywhere for single and multi-color DuraCoating?

Don't forget to post pictures when it's done. :D

drawn
10-04-2007, 12:54 AM
Thanks for the info.

PM or email me your email address and I'll send you the list.

Q
10-04-2007, 1:05 AM
Sweet rifle MrLogan. :punk: Nice job drawn!

MrLogan
10-28-2007, 8:52 PM
After waiting a couple of weeks for the DuraCoat to cure, I took it out to the range for the first time last week. Pumped a few hundred rounds through it, and the finish holds up like a champ! The FH, which was done in DuraHeat--along with the barrel--, turned a little black after a while. I thought the finish was coming off, but after wiping it down with some CLP found out it was just carbon fouling. The finish is still perfect! This stuff is awesome.

Thanks, Drawn!

drawn
11-10-2007, 11:42 AM
Your very welcome Mr Logan. I can't wait to Finish that next project of yours!

trinydex
03-20-2008, 6:44 PM
how many cut down pmags do you have?

Hispeed1
03-24-2008, 12:08 PM
So beautiful, it brings tears to my eyes. I'll be sending you some mags to get painted in the future.

cobra198
03-24-2008, 1:13 PM
That is one clean build. Love the duracoat job on it too! Nicely done.

g3173
04-14-2008, 8:25 PM
Man I might just have to get my SPR MK12 Mod1 done up like that. Pat from Metroshot suggested I get it done but wasn't sure. Hmmm I've got to think about this... Awesome AR... i'm jealous :drool5:

MrLogan
05-23-2008, 4:37 PM
That is one clean build. Love the duracoat job on it too! Nicely done.

Thanks. :D

MrLogan
07-08-2008, 10:46 AM
Over 1000 rounds through the rifle, and the finish looks just as good as when it was picked up. :D

drawn
07-08-2008, 1:24 PM
I still have some of that DuraHeat in stock and quite a bit of FDE.
I hope to shoot that rifle some day, it gets a lot of comments.
I have one more project to knock out this afternoon so I'll be back later.

One Shot, One Dropped
07-15-2008, 3:14 PM
That is one sweet looking build. I know that it may sound a little lame to some of you, but I want to have one of my ARs done in a different shade of black (still deciding on a cool one that doesn't come standard on ARs).

drawn
07-16-2008, 6:27 AM
May I suggest http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s150/stagebeast/Socom.jpg It reminds me of pencil lead. I finished a firearm for gosparx in it, I hope he posts pictures sometime soon.

One Shot, One Dropped
07-25-2008, 11:44 PM
PM me Drawn! How much do you charge for a job like that? (I want to do a similar setup but in a different color). PM me for details!

MrLogan
09-05-2008, 8:59 AM
PM me Drawn! How much do you charge for a job like that? (I want to do a similar setup but in a different color). PM me for details!

It's well worth it. ;)

Dwikkles
09-06-2008, 11:05 AM
How can I get a CQB size AR?

NiteQwill
09-07-2008, 1:23 PM

Like 16"?

You can buy a 14.5 barrel and perm-attach a FH. There's tons of carbine length uppers on the market.

Or move to a free(r) state and get an NFA SBR. :)

One Shot, One Dropped
09-07-2008, 8:26 PM

If you mean an AR with a barrel less than 16" and a collapsible stock, assuming you live in California, you would need to get an SBR/AOW permit. Good luck getting one of those...

If you want it without the stock, you can DROS an AR pistol (so long as you never attach a stock without first changing to a 16"+ barreled upper). That's a fun route...

MrLogan
01-22-2009, 8:26 AM

Yeah, like what the other guys said. I bought a 14.5" barreled upper, and permanently attached an extended A2 FH to bring it up to the legal 16".

USMC Tanker
01-22-2009, 8:34 AM
MrLogan, Drawn...

That rifle is CLEAN. Very nice!

MrLogan
01-25-2009, 6:13 PM
MrLogan, Drawn...

That rifle is CLEAN. Very nice!

Thank you very much.

MrLogan
07-28-2009, 9:36 PM
If you mean an AR with a barrel less than 16" and a collapsible stock, assuming you live in California, you would need to get an SBR/AOW permit. Good luck getting one of those...

If you want it without the stock, you can DROS an AR pistol (so long as you never attach a stock without first changing to a 16"+ barreled upper). That's a fun route...

Not if you permanently attach a FH to bring the barrel to the legal 16" length.

One Shot, One Dropped
07-28-2009, 11:09 PM
Not if you permanently attach a FH to bring the barrel to the legal 16" length.

Well, of course, but by "CQB-Length", I assumed he meant somewhere in the vicinity of a 10.5" barrel. I don't see many people permanently attaching 5.5" FlashHiders or Fake Cans, but it is possible.

laokoko
07-29-2009, 12:19 AM
I tried to email Armary Air Brush but they are not replying, are they still accepting dura coat jobs?

aplinker
07-29-2009, 12:23 AM
So how's she doin, Logan?

I tried to email Armary Air Brush but they are not replying, are they still accepting dura coat jobs?

PM Drawn on Calguns.

drawn
07-29-2009, 5:17 AM
I'm out of town until the 6th. Don't have much internet access where I'm at but I'll see what I can do.
uclaplinker, Your parts are boxed up and will ship when I return.

MrLogan
07-31-2009, 2:21 PM
So how's she doin, Logan?

PM Drawn on Calguns.

She's doing great. The barrel has a Duraheat finish, and it's a freaking champ. I've put thousands of rounds through it, and the finish on the FH is still good. It turns black from the fouling, but once you wipe it off, it's good as new. I'm pretty amazed. I'll have to post some new pictures.

Andrew17019
03-01-2010, 11:50 AM
Came across this thread from a Google search, but I was wondering if that barrel is done with the Tan DuraHeat, or if they actually manufacture a Magpul Dark earth duraHeat since Duracoat offers the actual Magpul FDE pairing. I haven't seen a Magpul paired DuraHeat yet, and I'm interested in doing a barrel in this color.\

thanks...!

drawn
03-02-2010, 9:03 AM
It's the DuraHeat Tan. If you look close it doesn't match exactly but if your not looking for a difference it is close enough to the MFDE that it works.
Tough stuff to, Finished this last year;

http://www.armoryairbrush.com/images/examples/fireplace/Fire%20Place%20one.JPG

Andrew17019
03-02-2010, 9:25 AM
It actually looks similar enough for me. I'm probably going to pick up some new body parts and get to work. If I have any more questions I hope you don't mind if I hope on here and pick your mind.

quick draw mcgraw
03-02-2010, 10:27 AM
Very nice!! Great looking carbine!!

I really like that LMT MRP upper.

How durable are those types of finishes against chips, dings, and scratches from "normal" handling?

dpharley
03-02-2010, 11:18 AM
That is some great stuff, will be in contact...

Jeffu
03-02-2010, 12:24 PM
Good job Drew!

drawn
03-07-2010, 10:30 AM

How durable are those types of finishes against chips, dings, and scratches from "normal" handling?
If pictures are worth a thousand words then the one above Andrews is a few pages.

Ballistic043
03-07-2010, 11:30 AM
that is impressive! ive always been a fan of FDE but yours takes the cake. if a few more small things were kept black, i think it would be the "Cats Meow" (selector switch, takedown pins, bolt catch). i like to contrast a bit more BUT that rifle is still just... wow.

xibunkrlilkidsx
03-07-2010, 12:12 PM
Over 1000 rounds through the rifle, and the finish looks just as good as when it was picked up. :D

somehow i tinhk a little bit of wear will make it even sexier. just aht touch of black finish coming through around the areas you grab the most.

smp89
03-20-2010, 10:22 AM
that is impressive! ive always been a fan of FDE but yours takes the cake. if a few more small things were kept black, i think it would be the "Cats Meow" (selector switch, takedown pins, bolt catch). i like to contrast a bit more BUT that rifle is still just... wow.

Check out the two tone section on www.armoryairbrush.com.

keson
04-03-2010, 2:06 AM
wow that's a beautiful FDE rifle you got there :O

MrLogan
09-08-2010, 8:07 PM

Heh. A six month later reply, but it's very durable. Nothing is chipping off yet, and the finish has not scratched off either.