PDA

View Full Version : Where to shoot in the Santa Cruz area? (non-range)

Salty
09-29-2007, 7:47 AM
Hey, I'm kind of new to the sport and was wondering if anyone knew of any decent non-formal locations around Santa Cruz. I'd like to be able to incorporate some hiking with a little plinking. I've heard that there might be a few places up Bonny Dune road.

Also, I'm pretty new to the sport and was wondering what the cops tend to be like around here when it comes to firearms. Not that I plan to clean my guns on the front lawn or anything, just wondering what to expect if a ranger runs across me in the woods or if I get pulled over on my way to the range.

Thanks!

marksbb
09-29-2007, 10:26 AM
I'm pretty sure there isn't a place you can shoot anywere within the Santa Cruz Range. It's either private property, state property or open space preserve property.

Since you're from the Monerey area, Los Padres Nat'l Forest is probably the closest place to you.

In general, it is legal to shoot on national forest property, blm property or your own property only.

SchooBaka
09-29-2007, 11:17 AM
There used to be a few places like that in Bonny Doon, but they've all been closed off for years now. I don't know of anywhere other than private property you can go without haveing the police called on you.

Santa Cruz Armory
09-29-2007, 11:59 AM
Join the Scott's Valley Sportsmans Club. It's a nice private range in Scotts Valley.

There aren't (that I know of) any places left to shoot in this area. Hell, we used to sight our rifles and shoot pistols at my parents property in Scotts Valley city limits... of course now thats a big no no! :(

There is going to be a shoot at Panoche coming up on the 21st of October it's a bit of a drive (about two hours from Ben Lomond) but it's well worth it. Ya get to meet a bunch of cool Calgunners and shoot out to fairly long distances and the scenery isn't too bad either.

Let me know if you need info on the SV range.

Link to Panoche shoot thread:

http://64.151.69.37/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=65707&highlight=panoche

Salty
09-29-2007, 3:03 PM
Hmmm.. What a bummer.
Well IIRC the way the law reads (don't quote me on this) is that you arn't trespassing until you've climbed over or walked around a fence to get there, passed any type of "no trespassing" sign, or were asked to leave and didn't.
What I take from that is that it's ok to go stompin' around the forest until you're made aware that you're on private property.
Either way, from what you guys are saying it sounds like that's not gonna work around here (not surprised... effing hippies).

So how's Scotts Valley compare to Los Altos?

Technical Ted
09-29-2007, 3:39 PM
Either way, from what you guys are saying it sounds like that's not gonna work around here (not surprised... effing hippies)
Mostly people who get tired of irresponsible shooters who drag stuff out, dump it on their property and start shooting it to pieces.

In the late 70's/early 80's we used to go South on Summit Rd, past the point where it became a dirt road, until we got to Mount Loma Prieta. There was an area there where people would shoot. It was fine until someone started using it as a place to strip and dump stolen cars.

Salty
09-29-2007, 10:19 PM
What the hell kinda rule is this? From Los Altos Rod & Gun Club:

"If using pump or semi-automatic shotguns, load ONLY TWO ROUNDS AT A TIME"

It could be that I'm just a noob, but I don't understand the value that a rule like this adds to the range.

SchooBaka
10-04-2007, 2:00 PM
Join the Scott's Valley Sportsmans Club. It's a nice private range in Scotts Valley.

There aren't (that I know of) any places left to shoot in this area. Hell, we used to sight our rifles and shoot pistols at my parents property in Scotts Valley city limits... of course now thats a big no no! :(

There is going to be a shoot at Panoche coming up on the 21st of October it's a bit of a drive (about two hours from Ben Lomond) but it's well worth it. Ya get to meet a bunch of cool Calgunners and shoot out to fairly long distances and the scenery isn't too bad either.

Let me know if you need info on the SV range.

Link to Panoche shoot thread:

http://64.151.69.37/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=65707&highlight=panoche

I'm thinking of joining that club.
In fact, was that you I passed on the way out a couple weeks ago sunday afternoon?
It was my first time there, was invited by a friend who's a member.
Very nice range, and not too crowded.
I'm curious about how OLL's are treated there, since it's also the SVPD range.
Have you spoken to any SVPD there about oll's?

SchooBaka
10-04-2007, 2:05 PM
What the hell kinda rule is this? From Los Altos Rod & Gun Club:

"If using pump or semi-automatic shotguns, load ONLY TWO ROUNDS AT A TIME"

It could be that I'm just a noob, but I don't understand the value that a rule like this adds to the range.

I'm not sure, maybe a sporting thing.
I know that when hunting you're only allowed 2 rounds in the gun at a time, so that could have something to do with it.

Of course, it could also have to do with not wanting someone swinging a shotgun for 8 or 9 rounds worth, could get dangerous for those on launchers around them.