PDA

View Full Version : Choices Narrow for Rifle Choice

SDJim
09-28-2007, 4:32 PM
Ok, finding the Savage hasn't been any problem at all. I've found at least 4 of them available from $810.00 - $900.00 plus shipping. Finding the Remington is proving to be difficult. It isn't listed on the Remington Arms Site, and I've tried Googleing numerous variations of Remington M700 SS 5R Mil-Spec without any luck other than providing wonderful reviews of the rifle.

I've tried the 3 big gun sale / auction sites - "No Joy" there either.

A call to my local Turner's got me a big "Ehhhhhhhh".

Any suggestions?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I've spent the last couple of weeks looking, researching and talking to people and while talking it over this morning over coffee & donuts (I love my job, it's just like being back on active duty except it pays better) I think I've come up with a short list of possible rifles.

First is a M700 SS 5R Milspec, seems to be a really good set up right out of the box.

Second is a Savage 10FCM aka http://www.savagearms.com/10fphsprecision.htm

Those are for turn-key rifles . . . add sight base, rings scope, bi-pod and it should be good-to-go.

For a real do it yourself project, it was suggested that I look for a Stevens 200 with a short action, strip off everything but the bolt & action and build it from scratch.

I kind of like the Savage option because I can swap barrels to change calibers to suit diffrent diciplines F, TR, machined muzzle for iron sights . . .

Let the quest begin

jkasandiego
09-28-2007, 5:41 PM
That's my choice too. First the remy 700 and my second is the savage 10fp.:)
By the way, what day you shoot at Dulzura?

Prc329
09-28-2007, 6:07 PM
Depends on what you plan on doing in the future. both will serve you will but the aftermarket is bigger on the Remmy.

Fjold
09-28-2007, 6:18 PM
Buy what you like the best, the aftermarket parts selection for both guns is huge now.

rksimple
09-28-2007, 8:15 PM
As was said before, it depends on what you want to do with it. The DBM on the Savage is OK, but the mags aren't very stout, and they have to be placed into the magwell with a little finesse to get them right. And at this point, only 4 round mags are available.

If you're a tinkerer, the Savage is an excellent choice. Changing barrels is a snap, and all of the other parts are easy to replace.

If you don't want to mess with it too much, then the remmy is a great choice too. It has a huge aftermarket following, and that may be important, depending on what you want.

I wanted a reliable DBM, so my choice is now Remington in an AICS. My 10FP will be my backup for the time being. I still don't like the fact that I won't be able to rebarrel myself, but thats the price I pay for DBM. If someone comes out with a reliable DBM system for savage using AICS mags, I may go back.

Prc329
09-28-2007, 9:03 PM
I love my 10fp but the idea of the AICS took me to the other side :)

ar15barrels
09-28-2007, 10:21 PM
I love my 10fp but the idea of the AICS took me to the other side :)

You only cry once...

Prc329
09-28-2007, 10:25 PM
More like my wife only cries once when she sees the bills. But then she sees the payment I made and everything is cool :)

SDJim
09-28-2007, 10:46 PM
By the way, what day you shoot at Dulzura?

Second Sunday of the month is High Power, the 4th Saturday of the month is BE Pistol. I'm usually there for the quarterly CMP match, although tomorrow and Sunday is going to be a two day event. Tomorrow I'm shooting my Garand, Sunday it's the '03A3.

Now that I have my every other Friday off again, I hope to be able to get out there one of them every month to shoot the other stuff.

Prc329
09-28-2007, 11:11 PM
I just realized something. Of the two guns you are considering the 5R is probably the better gun.

http://www.snipercountry.com/InReviews/Rem_M700_StainlessSpecial5RMilspec.asp

proraptor
09-29-2007, 8:16 AM
10FP with the mcmillan or HS stock would be an awesome boomstick

Prc329
09-29-2007, 6:17 PM
Pro, you will shoot my AICS and love it. :D

ar15barrels
09-29-2007, 6:46 PM

Love and Afford are two completely different things.

I would love to drive an exotic Italian sports car.
I can afford a Toyota Camry.
Guess what I drive?

So are you bringing the AICS over for me to play with tomorrow?

Prc329
09-29-2007, 6:48 PM
So true, so true.

proraptor
09-30-2007, 7:46 AM

Dont get me wrong the AICS is a nice stock but Im not sure Im a fan of the thumbhole....Im thinking of ordering one of manners new carbon fiber T4's when they come out....They are supposed to be awesome

Prc329
09-30-2007, 11:30 AM
Manners stocks are nice but from the money you should just get a McMillan and call it a day.

Cypriss32
09-30-2007, 12:17 PM
An PRC329 have you used an manners stock before? Just a thought, because I have 2 A5s now, had an HTG, A2, A3. Now I have the A5s, and 4 manners stocks after next week. I like both of them, MCM addition to make me a little more motivated, Molded in camo.

If i was to build a new rifle:
SPS-Varmint in 308win 489.00
MAnners T2 435.00
Seekins Rings and Bases: 180.00
Used Leupold 4.5-14x 50mm: 700-800.00 (depending on luck)
Start reloading!
That sums up a great starter rifle.

Prc329
09-30-2007, 12:39 PM
I have not had the oppurtunity to use a Manners stock. I have used a McMillan and I really lie them. I used an A3 and I liked it. I want to check out a Manners but have just read about them.

Prc329
09-30-2007, 10:56 PM
Love and Afford are two completely different things.

I would love to drive an exotic Italian sports car.
I can afford a Toyota Camry.
Guess what I drive?

So are you bringing the AICS over for me to play with tomorrow?

if I can it will be during the week. I want to get the barrel cut down and the bolt knob installed. I'll call you before hand.

PistolPete75
10-01-2007, 9:59 AM
get the 700 5r milspec. alot of people are doing 1/2 moa right out of the box!

SDJim
10-03-2007, 1:50 PM
Ok, finding the Savage hasn't been any problem at all. I've found at least 4 of them available from $810.00 - $900.00 plus shipping. Finding the Remington is proving to be difficult. It isn't listed on the Remington Arms Site, and I've tried Googleing numerous variations of Remington M700 SS 5R Mil-Spec without any luck other than providing wonderful reviews of the rifle.

I've tried the 3 big gun sale / auction sites - "No Joy" there either.

A call to my local Turner's got me a big "Ehhhhhhhh".

Any suggestions?

Comstock Lode
10-03-2007, 2:12 PM
Saw a 5R here at Four Seasons, San Luis Obispo last week. Saw several listed at Frank's Guns, New York some time ago (Gunbroker.com). Bought one. Incredible accuracy and just a straight up nice gun. Out of the box super sweet, just a trigger job and you're sub-moa.

Comstock Lode
10-03-2007, 2:20 PM
Took a look at Gunbroker.com and found one immediately. Description for Item # 81841222: New In Box Remington 700 Stainless Special with 5-R Barrel in .308. This gun features an HS precision stock and the 5-R barrel- it is used on the US Army's M24 Sniper Rifle and is rated to double or even triple the life of a standard Remington barrel. Own an incredible precision rifle and ask about our incredible selection of optics! Also included is Remington's new X-Mark Pro trigger system. Shooter's Vault is located at 32nd St and Greenway in Phoenix, AZ. Visit shootersvault.net for contact info and more! Seller reserves the right to end this auction at anytime. Good luck!

Prc329
10-03-2007, 8:10 PM
http://www.snipercountrypx.com/pc-499-836-remington-700ss-r5-milspec-308.aspx

In stock.