PDA

View Full Version : Taking my boys fishing

jdberger
09-28-2007, 1:21 AM
My boys want to go fishing. More than they love their hamsters, they want to fish.

The trouble is, I don't fish. Sure, I've surf casted before, done a little deep sea stuff with the guys - but honestly, unless I can fish with explosives, I find it terminally boring. So, I don't know were to go.

Which brings me to my question; Where do I take two little boys with gnat-like attention spans to go fishing? A stocked lake or pond?

I'm up in the East Bay. I'd rather not have to travel more than an hour or so (but I'll make sacrifices if I have to).

Also, where to pick up decent fishing equipment? Sportmart? Get the old standby Zebco rod and reel?

Thanks, any advice is well appreciated.

jdberger
09-28-2007, 7:30 PM
Beuller?

VegasND
09-28-2007, 7:43 PM
You answered you own question. Just find any lake/pond that looks like a good candidate and use explosives. Their attention span will be immaterial and you'll always be the coolest dad. Ever.

patman
09-28-2007, 8:18 PM
How about taking an ice chest with plenty of ice and going Parkway Lake (http://www.parkwaylake.com/) first, then afterwards metcalf (http://www.sccgov.org/portal/site/parks/agencyarticle?path=%252Fv7%252FSCC%2520Public%2520 Portal%252Fsite_level_content&contentId=27e598ba77784010VgnVCM10000048dc4a92____ )? :D

jdberger
09-28-2007, 8:28 PM
I think we have a winner!!! Thanks, patman! That was the exact place I was thinking of.

Though I might just take them out to Chabot.

These guys are still a little young to take to a range with anything more dangerous than Nerf guns....but I'm working on it.

GI_JOE
09-28-2007, 8:32 PM
Also, where to pick up decent fishing equipment? Sportmart? Get the old standby Zebco rod and reel?

Go to WalMart for fish gear. Decent beginner equipment for good prices.

brassburnz
09-28-2007, 11:05 PM
Plus 1 for Walmart. I picked up a rod and reel combo there during the summer for about 20 bucks. It had an Ugly Stick rod which is a good choice for the little guys because it's almost impossible to break the tip of the rod off. It also came with a closed face spin cast reel, so the kids won't get the line tangled up in a backlash.

Randy
NRA Life Member

Mr. Joshua
09-29-2007, 4:18 AM
You answered you own question. Just find any lake/pond that looks like a good candidate and use explosives. Their attention span will be immaterial and you'll always be the coolest dad. Ever.

BWAHAHAHHAAHA!!!! Best advice of the year! :D

Millions-Knives
09-29-2007, 12:04 PM
I think charter fishing is the way to go. I've always been a deep-sea fisher because my father's really into it. It's lake fishing that I find REALLY boring- then again, I never really invested much into it (like fish finders, etc.). I did try recently on a trip to Texas on vacation to go freshwater fishing from the shore. I rigged a Carolina rig with a 3" Bass Assassin minnow from Wallyworld for my brother and he caught a 16" Largemouth, which was cool- since I've never tried rigging artificial bait.

So, if you can- charter deep sea (they know where the fish are and you're bound to catch something.)

or

Consider Bass Assassins if you're going lake fishing- readily available at Wal-mart.

anotherone
09-30-2007, 2:14 AM
Gary Yamamoto Custom Baits. If there's weeds, texas rig 'em otherwise wacky rig 'em.

Also, spend some coin on some poles because there is a HUGE difference between a POS Walmart pole and a real pole.

jdberger
09-30-2007, 12:14 PM
Gary Yamamoto Custom Baits. If there's weeds, texas rig 'em otherwise wacky rig 'em.

Also, spend some coin on some poles because there is a HUGE difference between a POS Walmart pole and a real pole.

Texas rig? Wacky rig?

Suggestions for poles?

aplinker
09-30-2007, 1:11 PM
Seriously, for kids, the rod isn't going to matter a lot.

I will say the biggest issues will be 1.) using good line and 2.) not overfilling the spool.

Those "complete outfits" might seem like a bargain, but they're the fastest way to a day of fixing tangles. The line is thick, cheap and just plain bad.

If they're old enough for a spinning reel (I'd say over the age of 8) do that.

Texas rigging is like this:
http://www.bassfishingusa.com/Rigging/rigging1.html
http://www.bassfishingusa.com/images/texasrig4.jpg

Spend some time in a decent shop and ask how to rig up for the species you're targeting. If you buy the rods and reels from them they'll be happy to do it -- and sell you the lures and rigging.

However, if they're young kids, I'd say look for a school of bluegill, put a salmon egg on a small hook (about the size of the egg), no sinker, and use 2lb test line for the leader. Let it sink naturally (like lost bait) and set the hook when they swallow. You'll be able to see them work on it.

For kids it's really about the excitement of the hook up and seeing fish.

Blue
10-04-2007, 5:38 PM
I'd hit up Del Valle in Livermore. It's stocked with just about everything. They rent boats there too. I took my boy out last week and we caught a striper and some trout. I need to bring a gas can with me next time, the last two times I've gone out I ran out of gas and ended up coming back to the boat launch on my trolling motor :p

pieeater
10-04-2007, 7:08 PM
. I need to bring a gas can with me next time, the last two times I've gone out I ran out of gas and ended up coming back to the boat launch on my trolling motor :p

As long as you didnt run out of beer.:cool2:

Blue
10-04-2007, 7:52 PM
As long as you didnt run out of beer.:cool2:

LOL. Nah....isn't it illegal to drink and boat anyways? Like an open container or something?

jdberger
10-04-2007, 8:02 PM
Thanks guys, all of you.

I'm actually a little excited about this trip.

My boys are a little young for anything more complicated than a Zebco reel (i.e. spinner reel). And they're only starting to get the concept that there are sharp hooks buried in the lures.

Anyway, one of them insisted on this for his fishing rod (https://www.spindirect.com/product.php?productid=16183). I'm bringing along the Scooby Doo rod for backup. :D

Blue
10-04-2007, 8:09 PM
So where are you headed?

jdberger
10-04-2007, 8:32 PM
So where are you headed?

Irvington Arms!

And then I think that Chabot or Del Valle might work. Then again, there is always Parkway.

I won't make up my mind until the last minute.

pieeater
10-05-2007, 9:07 PM
LOL. Nah....isn't it illegal to drink and boat anyways? Like an open container or something?

Its only illegal if you get caught.

NRAhighpowershooter
10-05-2007, 9:49 PM
I'd fish Del Valle before I'd hit Chabot.. if I had a choice.. better fishing at Del Valle.... but... if you are in concord/walnut creek area... Lafayette Reservoir.. I have done almost as good there as I have at Del Valle.. and a LOT better than Chabot....

mechandy
10-06-2007, 3:45 AM
What ever you do make it as FUN as possible.
Stack the deck in your favor.
Heck dang near cheat if ya have to.
Here is a couple ideas that might help.

Make sure they are as comfy as possible and not needing anything like food soda or shade.

Be a leader with a cheerfull attitude but not a "push over".

Fishing is a great place for "character development".

Maybe start them out in a pay by the fish type pond.
Barbless hooks are fun at places like that. Makes the fishing last a bit longer but is normally frowned upon by the establishment.

If you go to a regular type lake or river check out www.fishsniffer.com for a current report on what,where and how they are catching them.

Always have a couple of different bait options for the fish to choose from.

Last but not least please do an exceptional job in leaving your area litter free and let them know how important that is.

Good luck to ya.
Andy