PDA

View Full Version : are shell catchers legal?

justinw916
09-27-2007, 9:25 PM
Alot of people reload, i have been thinking of getting into it myself and i was wondering for like range purposes are shell catchers legal? Obviously not so practical for pistols but could help out with the rifles. All info appreciated.

blkA4alb
09-27-2007, 9:27 PM
Yes of course they are legal.

jdberger
09-27-2007, 9:30 PM
Hmmm...what makes you think that they might not be?

blkA4alb
09-27-2007, 9:32 PM

Because we live in California?

Technical Ted
09-27-2007, 9:34 PM
Because they're so cool and fun they must be illegal!

Shane916
09-27-2007, 10:06 PM
The shell catchers must only hold 10 rounds or less!.. Just kidding :D

dfletcher
09-27-2007, 10:11 PM
Alot of people reload, i have been thinking of getting into it myself and i was wondering for like range purposes are shell catchers legal? Obviously not so practical for pistols but could help out with the rifles. All info appreciated.

Yes - shell catchers are legal but rather expensive. My shell catcher is a nice fellow with a sense of humor, however he tends to doze off in the heat.

justinw916
09-27-2007, 10:12 PM
thanks for the info guys, just wasn't sure on the cali law's. Now i know.

ETD1010
09-27-2007, 10:16 PM

because once the morons in our legislature realize that the microstamping bill won't work with people catching brass, they'll ban those so the criminals can't hide it. :rolleyes:

adamsreeftank
09-27-2007, 10:44 PM
because once the morons in our legislature realize that the microstamping bill won't work with people catching brass, they'll ban those so the criminals can't hide it. :rolleyes:

Maybe they'll go the other direction. They could require shell catchers and then make us turn in our brass so criminals can't pick it up and sprinkle it around crime scenes.

C.G.
09-28-2007, 12:34 AM
They are legal as long as you ship all brass to me to make sure that you did not fire any illegal rounds.;)

Subvertz
09-28-2007, 5:32 AM
They will ammend it as an evil feature, but only if it is detachable with the use of a tool which must be kept in possesion of your local sheriff....

WokMaster1
09-28-2007, 7:56 AM
I just got a new shell catcher. Don't know how good he is...his name is Barry Bonds....:D

KDOFisch
09-28-2007, 8:28 AM
As long as it doesn't have a pistol grip that lets you catch brass randomly without having to reload.

Dr. Peter Venkman
09-28-2007, 8:38 AM
Because they're so cool and fun they must be illegal!

That's probably the case 99% of the time.

Yankee Clipper
09-28-2007, 10:42 AM
Yes of course they are legal.

And so are deflectors, if that's of any help.

Subvertz
09-28-2007, 10:57 AM
And dust covers?

wilit
09-28-2007, 6:07 PM
This is the brass catcher I have for my AR. It works as best as a $10 catcher can.

http://www.thecountryshed.com/pvc-shl16-a.jpg

http://www.thecountryshed.com/brass_catchers.htm

justinw916
09-28-2007, 8:52 PM
thanks for the link, i am gonna order one. They are alot cheaper than i thought.

8200rpm
09-28-2007, 8:59 PM
Brass catchers are TOTALLY ILLEGAL. Brass/shell catchers make it easy for criminals to prevent leaving evidence at the scene of a crime. In CA, you must leave your brass where it falls. Why would anyone want to catch their brass??? What exactly is it that you're trying to hide???

Brass deflectors are also ILLEGAL. It allows criminals to kill more babies without being distracted by rearward ejecting brass.

Dust covers... you guessed it. ILLEGAL! It allows criminals to use their guns in dusty conditions.

Free-floating handguards? Why would you want criminals to have such accurate guns. ILLEGAL.

Back up iron sights? ILLEGAL. Only police officers need back up.

M4 feed ramps? ILLEGAL. Permits criminals to have feed-reliable, full auto machine cannons.

Rail platforms? ILLEGAL. Allows criminals to mount sighting devices.

Slings? Criminals will have their hands free to shoplift and pickpocket. ILLEGAL.

In two weeks, California's new AW ban including all the features above will go into effect.

C.G.
09-28-2007, 10:58 PM
thanks for the link, i am gonna order one. They are alot cheaper than i thought.

I have one of those. They do not work as well as advertised.

Technical Ted
09-28-2007, 11:13 PM
I have one of those. They do not work as well as advertised.
They tend to shift position under the weight of the brass they catch. To the point that they block the ejection port and bounce ejected brass back into the action.

I should probably try one of the models that has a zipper on the bottom of the catch bag: leave it unzipped so the brass falls onto the bench.

383green
09-29-2007, 7:44 AM
My brass catcher is a trained chimpanzee with a catcher's mitt and a bucket. :D

Subvertz
09-29-2007, 8:20 AM
On a side note, raise your hand if you've had hot brass "caught" down your shirt. :taz:

383green
09-29-2007, 8:48 AM
What my chimpanzee is doing in my shirt is none of your business. :eek:

Patriot
09-29-2007, 9:14 AM

:iagree:

N6ATF
09-29-2007, 3:25 PM
Brass catchers are TOTALLY ILLEGAL. Brass/shell catchers make it easy for criminals to prevent leaving evidence at the scene of a crime. In CA, you must leave your brass where it falls. Why would anyone want to catch their brass??? What exactly is it that you're trying to hide???

Brass deflectors are also ILLEGAL. It allows criminals to kill more babies without being distracted by rearward ejecting brass.

Dust covers... you guessed it. ILLEGAL! It allows criminals to use their guns in dusty conditions.

Free-floating handguards? Why would you want criminals to have such accurate guns. ILLEGAL.

Back up iron sights? ILLEGAL. Only police officers need back up.

M4 feed ramps? ILLEGAL. Permits criminals to have feed-reliable, full auto machine cannons.

Rail platforms? ILLEGAL. Allows criminals to mount sighting devices.

Slings? Criminals will have their hands free to shoplift and pickpocket. ILLEGAL.

In two weeks, California's new AW ban including all the features above will go into effect.

+1000