PDA

View Full Version : San Leandro Optimist Rifle and Pistol Range

Zhukov
09-27-2007, 11:30 AM
Does anyone here on Calguns shoot at the San Leandro Optimist Rifle and Pistol Range off of Davis St, near the WM Facility?

Trying to be more active on my range visits and curious if any of you folks visit the same place I do.

phish
09-27-2007, 12:38 PM
I haven't been there in 4 months, too busy at work.

It's good for after work range trips since they close at 9, but the traffic sucks getting there.

The nice thing about that range is you don't have to worry too much about the gansta types for obvious reasons...

Zhukov
09-27-2007, 1:03 PM
Well I specifically took my AK-styled OLL there and had a CHP officer get excited because he wanted to shoot it since he's never been able to shoot that kind of rifle before.

mecam
09-27-2007, 1:18 PM
I go there sometimes after work. But getting there from 80 to 880 blows ***. Also not allowing FMJ kinda sucks.

guimus
09-27-2007, 1:22 PM
yeah, I don't like shooting indoors, and their only rifle line is 100 yards, and they don't allow fmj. Combined with the 880 traffic, it's pretty much useless.

Every once in a while I want to get some quality pistol time in, though, and I'll stop in.

kalibear
09-27-2007, 2:39 PM
Well I specifically took my AK-styled OLL there and had a CHP officer get excited because he wanted to shoot it since he's never been able to shoot that kind of rifle before.

What did he think of it?

Zhukov
09-27-2007, 7:06 PM
What did he think of it?

He looked like a kid in a candy store. He really liked it. He had asked me why the mag release was disabled and I explained how it had to be the fixed 10-round mag to be legal with the pistol grip on it...yadda yadda. He hadn't heard about that at the time, but thought it was good to know. I think this was like a year ago, but it was nice to not see someone freak out over it. Probably just assumed it was a registered AW since I was taking it to a range frequented by police.

He had a good time. An Officer from Richmond PD was going to shoot it next, but he got called home by his Wife before he could shoot, I believe.

Suvorov
09-28-2007, 1:12 PM
Used to shoot there a lot when I was working out of OAK. A nice range once you get over the smell from the dump next door and its limitations. The range master was nice and didn't have the typical California Range master mentality. Haven't been there for years, but I don't recall seeing to many gangsta types there. A nice part was that you could shoot pistol both indoors and outdoors.

Harbinger
09-28-2007, 1:18 PM
I love that place. It's just relaxed enough to be fun, and just restrictive enough to keep everyone safe. The rangemasters remember you if you've come at least once a week.

The only time I worry about safety is when they have an 'intro to pistols' class indoors while I'm shooting. Those holes in the walls didn't get there by themselves.

Mike

stagolee
09-30-2007, 8:11 AM
That's one of my favorite places to shoot. There's always a lane open and everyone keeps their politics to themselves.

ghost
10-08-2007, 9:30 PM
i`ll be going there friday late afternoon for the first time.any calgunners want to join me?

mecam
10-09-2007, 6:25 AM
i`ll be going there friday late afternoon for the first time.any calgunners want to join me?

Make sure you bring HPs or SPs only. They don't allow FMJs and they will check during sign in.

ghost
10-09-2007, 3:01 PM
Make sure you bring HPs or SPs only. They don't allow FMJs and they will check during sign in.

oh i know i`ll be bringing hp`s:43:
actually you can use fmj in pistol calibers.