PDA

View Full Version : Considering Buying a Shotgun

Zhukov
09-27-2007, 11:25 AM
I currently own an OLL, an FNP-40, a few Mosins and now I want to round out my little lovelies with a Shotgun.

I'd like one for home defense, and I'm unsure of which make to consider.

So I turn to you folks and ask for recommendations.

If you need any more info from me on anything, please ask and I'll reply ASAP.

D-Anarchist
09-27-2007, 11:40 AM
You can't go wrong with a Remington 870 Express Magnum, which is what I have so I might be a little biased :61:

Citadelgrad87
09-27-2007, 11:42 AM
There are several brands that will serve well, one thing you haven't mentioned is what type of action, semi or pump?

For semis, you cannot go wrong with an M1S90, or a Remington 1100p.

Pumps, remington 870, Ithica.

Others swear by Mossbergs, Winchesters, etc.

Shoot a couple and decide what kind of action you like, semis are considerably more than pumps, generally.

Zhukov
09-27-2007, 11:44 AM
Shoot a couple and decide what kind of action you like, semis are considerably more than pumps, generally.

Could you clarify that sentence?

I honestly haven't decided on a pump or semi - Which tends to be better for home defense? - I'm assuming either are just as fine at a range.

And do pumps tend to be cheaper than semis?

Zhukov
09-27-2007, 11:48 AM
Oh and Size - I'm not sure how large the ones you guys listed are, but I'm looking for more compact so it's easier to move around inside.

Zhukov
09-27-2007, 11:55 AM
I think I might just outpost everyone in this thread.

Out of a Remington 870 vs Mossberg 500, which would you guys prefer and why?

Citadelgrad87
09-27-2007, 12:43 PM
Could you clarify that sentence?

I honestly haven't decided on a pump or semi - Which tends to be better for home defense? - I'm assuming either are just as fine at a range.

And do pumps tend to be cheaper than semis?

They both work extermely well. There are those who will tell you that the racking sound of a pump will end all confrontations, but other than that, I've seen pump guys outrun semis in terms of shooting speed, but this is rare.

Semis tend to have less percieved recoil, as some of the push is working the action rather than your shoulder. It's not too bad, I shoot both, but I like recoil, I know guys who have shot a 12g once and sold it becasue they didn't like the pounding.

Pumps are generally less expensive than semis, you can get a nicely tricked out 870 for around $300.00 at Turners if you watch their sales. I'd favor the Remmy over the Mossy, I think that they are a tad better made, but that's slipping over into opinion.

My personal HD weapon is a shotgun, a Bennelli M1S90 with a Surefire front end light.

Size wise, it's easier to put a folding stock on a pump, but an 18" with a standard stock is plenty handy if you know how to go around corners, I personally hate folding stocks on scatterguns.

One more thing, if you are EVER thinking about hunting, try to get a "combo" package with an 18" barrel and a longer barrel with chokes.

I learned a couple years after I bought my M1 that a hunting barrel is about as much as a new 870 would run me. Had I know, I would have sprung for one with a threaded barrel and chokes, like a friend of mine had the sens to buy.

Tweak338
09-27-2007, 1:17 PM

:xeno:

this has been covered a million times..

-hanko
09-27-2007, 1:46 PM
I currently own an OLL, an FNP-40, a few Mosins and now I want to round out my little lovelies with a Shotgun.

I'd like one for home defense, and I'm unsure of which make to consider.

So I turn to you folks and ask for recommendations.

If you need any more info from me on anything, please ask and I'll reply ASAP.
Search back 3 months or so in this forum; you have a couple of hours of worthwhile reading.;)

The short answer: It makes zero/nada/zilch difference in the Remington v. Mossberg discussion. Both have pros and cons.

I'll change the subject just a little...I prefer an Ithaca and/or Browning pump because they're easier to load and shells eject out the bottom (instead of the side) of the receiver. Either will cost more than the Rem or Mos...the browning is available new, you can find a good used Ithaca without too much searching. New, they're appreciably more than either of the other 3.

-hanko

mike100
09-27-2007, 1:52 PM
I prefer my older blued 870 police models. They look pretty nice with a longer barrel on them in sporting guise and there is little debate that the older ones (20 to 30 years old) are made the best. my 870 express home defense works pretty well too- but it is a throw down knock around piece that I couldn't care less if it got run over or dropped in a swamp.

I prefer pumps since they are easier to clean and reliable. The only time I like autoloaders is when bird hunting.

SG's are a load of fun, you might get in too deep and find yourself buying a $2000 clays gun of some sort..be careful!:D

cobra198
09-27-2007, 2:54 PM
I think I might just outpost everyone in this thread.

I have an 870 and absolutely love it. A friend has a Mossberg 500, and personally I like the feel and finish of the 870 better. It seems to me like it is built a bit more solid.

The nice thing about the mossberg 500 for your situation is that you can often find it on sale at big 5 with a 2 barrel combo. A 26" and an 18" which would give you the option to use it for home defense or hunting/trap.

Just some things to think about...

randy
09-27-2007, 4:14 PM
Semi Auto the Benelli M1 it has been discontinued but you might still find one. The Benelli M2 is a great gun, a few $$$ more and the Benelli M4.

I've had Remmy's semi auto's and wouldn't use one for a go to gun. Between the 1100 and 1187 get the 1187 police.

Pumps for me the 870 is what I'd buy. The Benelli Nova is my second choice.

I'm a semi auto guy for a HD gun.

Paradiddle
09-27-2007, 4:27 PM
Shotguns are a curious thing. Here are my observations based on shooting a whole bunch recently and trying to pick one for 3 gun.

1 - Autoloaders are expensive, and can be somewhat finicky on ammo - especially the reduced recoil "tactical type" stuff. It seems the comp. guys love either Benelli or the 1100. Every 1100 shooter I've met has a few hundred in "tuning the gas port" where the Benelli guys just shoot. Autoloaders shoot fast and IMO have less recoil then a pump (even a Vang Comp pump) Price range - north of $1000 - which is normally the sticking point for most people.

2 - Pumps just work - unless you short stroke them... Pumps do take some practice to become fast. For years when I was younger I had a Winchester 1300 Defender with wood furniture. It was a great shotgun - very smooth. God knows why I sold it - so I am used to a pump. I wouldn't buy either the Big 5 Mossber "590" or a 870 Express - they are not good representatives of either brand. If you want an 870 get a "real" 870 - a Police or a Wingmaster. New or used they are less then you think on Gunbroker or at your local shop and they are FAR superior to the Express in terms of finish and the smoothness of the action. Price range for a good one - $400 - $600

Most pumps take some time to "break in" - this is especially true of the dual guide types - like the 870, Mossberg, etc. There are only a few single guide rail pumps - Winchester 12, Ithaca 37, High Standard Flite King - these are unbelievably smooth action shotguns. IMO they are far smoother then even the 20 year 100,000 round count 870 I shot. But they will only be found used and nice ones command a price - and aftermarket parts are scarce.

3 - Reloading speed. If you plan on competing or taking a tactical shotgun class take a look at the reloading area of the shotgun you are considering. Most have a "gate" that can get your fingers - Benellis are somewhat notorious for this. Mossberg, the Browning BPS, the Flite King, and the Ithaca 37 do not have a gate - and are much easier to load. You can actually load two at a time on some of those shotguns.

4 - Sights - beads or rifle? Most guys who've shot shotguns for a long time prefer beads - because that is what they are used to. Most bird hunters and clay/trap guys also prefer the bead - what I've heard/read is that they are "faster" to get a target picture. Rifle sights - especially the ghost ring are killer for slugs and competitive shooting. I'm not sure which one I like better. My Winchester had a bead, most of the shotguns I've shot lately have sights. For me it's a toss up.

In the end - you need to handle several to see how they fit - they nearly all shoot the same - with a big boom. But the stroke and length of pump and/or other controls vary and one will feel better then the other.

That is my .02.

Jeff

Zhukov
09-27-2007, 6:58 PM
So I just purchased a Mossberg 500 Combo. Includes the two barrels.

Big 5 price: $229

That a good deal? I thought it was, so I went for it.

Only downside was 3 shot capacity, but I'm under the impression that can be changed?

Baron
09-27-2007, 7:18 PM
Nice I just picked up the same combo for my wife...
Yeah there's a dowel inside the mag tube.
Just unscrew the barrel nut thingy at the end then point the mage tube towards the foor and shake. the dowel will eventually stick out the hole. then grab it and pull out....

M. Sage
09-27-2007, 7:23 PM
Zhukov: Mossbergs have a removable mag tube plug. It's a wooden dowel with two o-rings. Ten seconds to make it 5+1. Ten seconds (after finding the dowel) to return it to 2+1.

ETA: Lol, "barrel nut thingy..."?

Good post by Paradiddle. I might be able to add to it slightly...

1 and 2: A pump is the way I'd go for HD. In an HD gun, it's possible that you can do some dumb things like catch the charging handle on something as you shoot, or block the ejection port (up against a door) when you pull the trigger. Bad stuff. I've seen people at action rifle shoots do that with semi-autos.

Also, recoil. Yeah, recoil is less with a semi, but how fast do you really need to shoot HD? How fast can you acquire and fire? Probably not any faster than you can rack a pump. Consider that, unless you do something dumb in ammo selection (like use birdshot), I don't see you needing more than one shot per BG... and I bet after the first shot, any BG that wasn't targeted (if more than one) is going to be climbing over his buddies to get the hell out.

I'll go one further and suggest sacrilege: if recoil is an issue, but you still want reliability, go with a 20 gauge. Trust me - with buckshot or slugs, a 20 still has more than enough stopping power for home defense. I've got a Michigan whitetail on the wall who was killed by my old Ithaca 20 gauge. The last step he took was before I put a 3/4 oz slug in his chest. These things are way more hardy than any human...

However, there still is that learning curve to a pump. Get used to it before you rely on it.

3: Since we're talking HD, I'll skip it... if your problem is that big, you shouldn't be thinking of fighting, but of running.

4: HD.. indoors... Sights...? Learn to point-shoot. If you can't put a shot COM from across the room with pretty much any long-gun you pick up by simply pointing it, something's wrong.

One more that needs to be added: forethought and some training. Corners. Can you swing a shotgun around the corner into a room in your house without the barrel entering the room before you can see what's inside? Important. A handgun could be better for any clearing you need to do...

IMO, just about any shotgun that's properly configured (short barrel, stock that fits) will fit the bill for HD. It's pretty hard to screw up building a shotgun...

Zhukov
09-27-2007, 7:23 PM
Nice I just picked up the same combo for my wife...
Yeah there's a dowel inside the mag tube.
Just unscrew the barrel nut thingy at the end then point the mage tube towards the foor and shake. the dowel will eventually stick out the hole. then grab it and pull out....

Then it's a 6+1 capacity

Did you get it at Big 5 recently for the original $319 price? If it's within 30 days, get that price difference refund :P

Baron
09-27-2007, 7:27 PM
Actually I just talked to my wife and she said no we paid the sales price...
Good thing I keep her around...LOL

Zhukov
09-27-2007, 7:30 PM
I'll have to go talk to them...LOL
Yeah I paid the original price of $319 10 days ago
I'm actually going there tomorrow to pick up a acope and some ammo for Trap shooting this weekend... So I'll ask them about it.

The guy let me know that the combo would be going on sale soon, but the tag still said $319. When they put it up on the register though, the computer pulled up the price as $229 sale, with $319 original.

So it may not be "official" just yet.

Which Big 5? I just purchased mine at the San Lorenzo one in the East Bay.

Zhukov
09-27-2007, 7:34 PM
Oh and recommended Ammo? It's a 12 Gauge.

Baron
09-27-2007, 7:38 PM
Nice yeah my wife corrected me... SO I fixed my post... We paid the sales price. I got ours at the Big 5 in Dublin

As for ammo... It depends on what you want to use it for...
- Buckshot for home defense
- Birdshot for trap or Birds
- Slugs for Target shooting, or hunting at close range

M. Sage
09-27-2007, 7:42 PM
The Mossberg 500 can handle any ammo 2 3/4" or 3" - or a mix of the two - depending on which barrel and choke you've got on it.

Buckshot, birdshot, steel shot, or slugs. Not all are compatible with the same chokes, so check before using, though for HD, you want cylinder or improved cylinder anyway.

Oh, and for the record: slugs would work great for HD. They hit like a freight train downrange. :43:

Paradiddle
09-27-2007, 9:31 PM
Federal makes an excellent reduced recoil buckshot - amazingly easy to control with a nice tight pattern.

Full bore buckshot is just flat rude to shoot - and in a house I don't see the need for anything with more juice then the "tactical" reduced recoil stuff.